Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: panosaurus and camera

  • Dinis Quelhas
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Steve,

      i live in the UK. Thanks anyway. Besides, i have
      already ordered the panosaurus.

      Dinis

      --- stevenkan <steven@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas
      > <dquelhas@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Pau,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
      > > definitly buy it until i have other options
      > (meaning
      > > more money :-)).
      >
      > Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus
      > that I wouldn't
      > mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black
      > color). In my
      > opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of
      > the extra pieces
      > and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.
      >
      > It is too large to travel around with, though, and a
      > bit cumbersome
      > to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can
      > calibrate my NN
      > without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS,
      > but I am wiser for
      > having owned the PS because I've been through the
      > educational process.
      >
      > I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise
      > choice for a first
      > pano head for this reason.
      >
      > So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a
      > very-lightly-used
      > Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S.
      > the shipping
      > costs would make this impractial.
      >
      > p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this
      > group? I tried to
      > pepper this post with opinions _about_ the
      > Panosaurus :)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dinis Quelhas
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
        Hi Bjørn,

        i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
        little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
        waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
        some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
        it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
        panorama. Let's see how it works.
        As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
        them.

        Thanks,

        Dinis

        --- Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

        > On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:
        >
        > > Hello again,
        > >
        > > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
        > > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
        > > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it
        > works.
        > >
        > > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
        > > post the results as soon as i test it.
        >
        > You should be able to find a fisheye with a
        > compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
        > USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and
        > a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
        > bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?
        >
        > You can make panos without a fisheye, and even
        > without a very wide angle lens, but it
        > takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I
        > got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
        > used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The
        > longer the focal length, the more
        > resolution you will get in the end result, but it is
        > a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
        > for each pano...--
        > bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen
        > http://bknilssen.no/
        > Kristiansand, Norway

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • pau
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
          Whe are all waiting for your panosaurus to arrive and for you to do
          your tests .... it will be suprising for sure!

          pau valiente
          www.pau.cc

          El 06/09/2006, a las 12:28, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

          > Hi Bjørn,
          >
          > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
          > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
          > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
          > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
          > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
          > panorama. Let's see how it works.
          > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
          > them.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Dinis

        • stevenkan
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
            wrote:

            > Hi Bjørn,
            >
            > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
            > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
            > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
            > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
            > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
            > panorama. Let's see how it works.
            > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
            > them.

            You can actually start doing some preliminary work before you get
            your panosaurus. For example, a positioning template will be very
            helpful for troubleshooting your panos, especially if you're going to
            have a large number of shots.

            Here's what I did:

            1) Created a new project in PTGui and imported one real photo from my
            camera to get the EXIF and lens info into the project. Set the output
            pano type to spherical with 360 x 180 FOV, etc.
            2) In Photoshop, created a "dummy.jpg" with the same dimension that
            was all white with a black border
            3) Dragged that dummy.jpg into the project 36 times (I used 23 shots)
            4) Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in the
            roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

            This project will now show you how much overlap you'll have between
            adjacent shots, how much nadir you'll need to patch, etc. And you can
            experiment with different pitch angles and numbers of shots per
            elevation before you go out and shoot for real.

            Once you actually shoot, you'll then be able to drag your real shots
            into a new project and then Apply Template to pre-position your
            shots. The Panorama Editor will then show you a view that should look
            almost like a stitched panorama. This makes it _much_ easier to see
            if you have incorrect shots or incorrect order, etc. and also to see
            if you have mismatched control points (e.g. between non-adjacent
            images).

            I did just such a template for a CoolPix 990 + WC-E63:

            <http://www.kan.org/pano/template>

            I found that managing 20+ images per pano without a template to be
            very challenging.
          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "stevenkan" <steven@...> wrote:

              > Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in
              > the roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

              You can, of course, use the "Fill yaw..." button to enter the yaw
              values of selected images automatically, and enter a pitch or roll
              value into selected images also). This speeds things up considerably.

              John
            • Dinis Quelhas
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                Hi Steven,

                thanks for the tips, i will definitly try to replicate
                what you explained about the template. I have never
                thought of that and it seems to be a brilliant idea!

                My panosaurus ended up arriving yesterday and i spent
                a couple of hours testing it at night. The panosaurus
                itself is a bit too basic, but for a starter like me
                it doesn't look bad to learn, though for about 20 more
                dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head wich seems to
                be quite more precise.

                But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                My experiences from yesterday gave me a pretty good
                notion about the paralax effects and how the absense
                of it can make a very pleasent surprises.

                I will now download the trial version of some
                programs, and benchmark them with the photos i have
                taken, with and without the nodal point set so i can
                decide wich one to buy (i will post the results later
                in a webpage).

                I found that it was too much trouble to be taking 360
                panoramas with a tripod and a old digital camera like
                mine (coolpix 2000). I made something like 45-50
                shots, and, as i mentioned before, since my tripod is
                terrible, i got it very imprecise and looking funny.
                So, can someone explain this ignorant what are the
                differences between a hyperbolic mirror(?) and fisheye
                lenses? If there is any difference, wich one is better
                for the panos?

                Thanks for all your support, this group is excellent!

                Dinis

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • pau
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                  > though for about 20 more
                  > dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head

                  I don't think so:
                  Panosaurus is 75,95 dollars
                  Nodal Ninja is 199,95 dollars retail, now 159,95 special offer (plus
                  5 dollars international orders + S/H)

                  If the difference wa only 20 dollars much people would decided for
                  NN, but it costs the double +.

                  pau valiente
                  www.pau.cc

                • pau
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                    El 07/09/2006, a las 11:21, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                    > But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                    > the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                    > tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                    > way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                    I did the same, after buying the panoramic head I found out my tripod
                    was very unstable, so I went to buy a new one.
                    After looking out I finished with two tripods in mind:
                    Manfrotto 190 PRO
                    Manfrotto 055 PRO

                    and tripod head:
                    ballhead 486RC2

                    also for easy mounting and unmounting I got a quick release for the
                    pano-head:
                    quick-release plate 323

                    this way it is a great and table setup.

                    pau valiente
                    www.pau.cc

                  • Dinis Quelhas
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                      Ups, you are spot on. My mistake looking at the
                      prices. Sorry Greg :)

                      http://mail.yahoo.com