error message "Not Enough RAM" to run Panotool plugin for PS

  • bongyiiuce
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 27, 2008
      Hi ,
      I run PS CS2 and the plugin on my new winxp Laptop with 2Gb RAM. I
      already upgrade from 1GB to 2Gb RAM now but still get that error
      message. Is there any PS workplace or stroage setting I need to
      configure ? Thanks.

      Daley.
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 27, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bongyiiuce" <bongyiiuce@...> wrote:

        > Hi ,
        > I run PS CS2 and the plugin on my new winxp Laptop with 2Gb RAM. I
        > already upgrade from 1GB to 2Gb RAM now but still get that error
        > message. Is there any PS workplace or stroage setting I need to
        > configure ? Thanks.

        You probably need to reduce the ram for Photoshop set in the preferences.

        If you set it too high there is no left for the plugin.

        Hans
      • Daley
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 27, 2008
          Still have error message. I goto preference ->Memory and cache.
          Default seting as below :

          Available RAM : 1760Mb
          Maximum use by Photoshop :55% (968Mb)

          reduce to 10% (176Mb) - got error
          increase to 90% (1584Mb) - got error

          > You probably need to reduce the ram for Photoshop set in the
          preferences.

          > If you set it too high there is no left for the plugin.
          >
          > Hans

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 28, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@...> wrote:

            > Still have error message. I goto preference ->Memory and cache.
            > Default seting as below :
            >
            > Available RAM : 1760Mb
            > Maximum use by Photoshop :55% (968Mb)
            >
            > reduce to 10% (176Mb) - got error
            > increase to 90% (1584Mb) - got error

            How much memory do you need.
            Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?

            Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.

            Hans

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
            >
            > > You probably need to reduce the ram for Photoshop set in the
            > preferences.
            > >
            > > If you set it too high there is no left for the plugin.
            > >
            > > Hans
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 28, 2008
              The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you own ptgui,
              ptmac, or use hugin.

              I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except for
              reducing the resolution of your image.

              Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the aforementioned
              programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand fashion, and
              without memory limitations.

              If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many people here
              who can help.

              Sacha Griffin

              Southern Digital Solutions LLC

              http://www.southern-digital.com

              http://www.seeit360.net

              404-551-4275

              "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

              > You probably need to reduce the ram for Photoshop set in the
              preferences.

              > If you set it too high there is no left for the plugin.
              >
              > Hans

            • Daley
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 28, 2008
                I just need to load 1 file only. It is the Nadir shot. Either
                400x300 or 640x480. Normally is 16 bit.

                I just playing around with extreme condition i.e 10% and 90% but no
                hope there as well.

                Daley.

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Still have error message. I goto preference ->Memory and cache.
                > > Default seting as below :
                > >
                > > Available RAM : 1760Mb
                > > Maximum use by Photoshop :55% (968Mb)
                > >
                > > reduce to 10% (176Mb) - got error
                > > increase to 90% (1584Mb) - got error
                >
                > How much memory do you need.
                > Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?
                >
                > Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.
                >
                > Hans
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 29, 2008
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@...> wrote:

                  > I just need to load 1 file only. It is the Nadir shot. Either
                  > 400x300 or 640x480. Normally is 16 bit.
                  >
                  > I just playing around with extreme condition i.e 10% and 90% but no
                  > hope there as well.
                  > Daley.

                  This sounds very wrong to me .
                  I am on Mac and use the OSX versions by Kekus but I never heard that the Windows
                  plugins should have any memory problems for small images like yours.

                  I almost forgot how good these plugins are as I have been using PTGui or CubicConverter
                  for extracting the nadir since PTGui Mac was launched

                  I just tried extracting the nadir of a 8000x4000 16bit
                  After 8 sec I had it opened in Photoshop for editing.
                  Reconverting and and pasting it into the original was just as fast.

                  I am going back to use this now for editing the Nadir. It is much faster than anything else
                  I used.
                  Not sure if it is that I can use all my 8gb ram
                  11500x5750 in 16 bit gave me error but I had no problem in 8bit,
                  As CubicConverter can not handle 16 bit at all this is much faster.
                  The interpolation was spline 36 which is fine.

                  Hans

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Still have error message. I goto preference ->Memory and cache.
                  > > > Default seting as below :
                  > > >
                  > > > Available RAM : 1760Mb
                  > > > Maximum use by Photoshop :55% (968Mb)
                  > > >
                  > > > reduce to 10% (176Mb) - got error
                  > > > increase to 90% (1584Mb) - got error
                  > >
                  > > How much memory do you need.
                  > > Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?
                  > >
                  > > Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.
                  > >
                  > > Hans

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 29, 2008
                    I use this plugin for every pano I make (Windows, XP) and it is great
                    but there are memory issues for large panos -- usually restarting
                    Photoshop will let me do what I want with larger images

                    In Actions it is annoying that the output image must be the same size
                    as the input but otherwise it does long sequences of batch processing
                    in an Action very well.

                    Peter

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just need to load 1 file only. It is the Nadir shot. Either
                    > > 400x300 or 640x480. Normally is 16 bit.
                    > >
                    > > I just playing around with extreme condition i.e 10% and 90% but
                    no
                    > > hope there as well.
                    > > Daley.
                    >
                    > This sounds very wrong to me .
                    > I am on Mac and use the OSX versions by Kekus but I never heard
                    that the Windows
                    > plugins should have any memory problems for small images like yours.
                    >
                    > I almost forgot how good these plugins are as I have been using
                    PTGui or CubicConverter
                    > for extracting the nadir since PTGui Mac was launched
                    >
                    > I just tried extracting the nadir of a 8000x4000 16bit
                    > After 8 sec I had it opened in Photoshop for editing.
                    > Reconverting and and pasting it into the original was just as fast.
                    >
                    > I am going back to use this now for editing the Nadir. It is much
                    faster than anything else
                    > I used.
                    > Not sure if it is that I can use all my 8gb ram
                    > 11500x5750 in 16 bit gave me error but I had no problem in 8bit,
                    > As CubicConverter can not handle 16 bit at all this is much faster.
                    > The interpolation was spline 36 which is fine.
                    >
                    > Hans
                    >

                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:

                    > > > How much memory do you need.
                    > > > Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?
                    > > >
                    > > > Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.
                    > > >
                    > > > Hans

                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 30, 2008
                      http://wiki.panotools.org/Extracting_and_inserting_rectilinear_Views

                      Alternatively, you can use these ptgui templates. By loading an image and
                      apply the templates, you can extract an image in seconds, and perform the
                      reverse as well.

                      http://www.seeit360.net/panotools

                      The templates are set for 7000x3500. Feel free to adjust them as you see
                      fit.

                      Han wrote,

                      I used.
                      Not sure if it is that I can use all my 8gb ram
                      11500x5750 in 16 bit gave me error but I had no problem in 8bit,
                      As CubicConverter can not handle 16 bit at all this is much faster.
                      The interpolation was spline 36 which is fine.

                      You must have a memory limitation in photoshop. I reached a similar
                      limitation with only 2GB of ram.

                      The plugins are fine for small panoramas, but they do get annoying
                      frequently when they fail around 8000x4000 if you have been using photoshop
                      for awhile.

                      "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
                      , "Daley" <bongyiiuce@> wrote:

                      > > Still have error message. I goto preference ->Memory and cache.
                      > > Default seting as below :
                      > >
                      > > Available RAM : 1760Mb
                      > > Maximum use by Photoshop :55% (968Mb)
                      > >
                      > > reduce to 10% (176Mb) - got error
                      > > increase to 90% (1584Mb) - got error
                      >
                      > How much memory do you need.
                      > Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?
                      >
                      > Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.
                      >
                      > Hans

                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 31, 2008
                        On 3/28/2008 5:23 PM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                        and typed ...:
                        > The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you own ptgui,
                        > ptmac, or use hugin.
                        >
                        > I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except for
                        > reducing the resolution of your image.
                        >

                        > Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the aforementioned
                        > programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand fashion, and
                        > without memory limitations.

                        Extacting the zenith and/or nadir in PTGui forces you to bounce back and
                        forth between PTGui and Photoshop (i.e., output the pano in PTGui, open
                        it in PS, do any post production clean up, save the file, open it in
                        PTGui, extract the Z/N, open the Z/N in PS and fix it, save the file,
                        reinsert it in PTGui), output a final pano. Whereas if you use PTAdjust
                        you can output the pano in PTGui, open it in PS, do any post production
                        clean up, extract theZ/N, fix it, reinsert it, save the file and you're
                        done. I prefer to use PTGui to generate the pano and PS to finalize
                        it. Then I'm only in each program once and I'm off to Pano2VR to
                        generate the final .MOVs and .SWFs. It's a lot easier than bouncing
                        back and forth between 2 programs.

                        > If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many people
                        > here
                        > who can help.
                        >

                        > Sacha Griffin
                        >
                        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                        >
                        > http://www.southern-digital.com
                        >
                        > http://www.seeit360.net
                        >
                        > 404-551-4275

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • Daley
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 1 10:26 AM
                          hi guys,

                          thanks for those info, link , wiki website etc...these few days I
                          read like crazy, bouncing between those pano websites until my head
                          like flying off.

                          Good news ,I managed to solve the RAM problem. Those having same
                          error before can follow below step :

                          1. fire up PS, notice the plugin name "Panoramic tool"

                          2. download latest ver plugin

                          3. download latest ver panolib http://photocreations.ca/panotools/
                          *Note : chosoe faster ver

                          4. install them, run panoinfo , make sure panolib ver 2.8.0

                          5. restart ps, now plugin name change to "epaperless"

                          6. run plugin. viola** it run !

                          ok, now that i have extracted partial view from equirectangular,
                          that's fine. thanks. but my handheld nadir shoot still in fisheye
                          format, what tool to defish it so that can patch the partial view ?
                          Thanks.

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
                          wrote:

                          > On 3/28/2008 5:23 PM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the
                          keyboard
                          > and typed ...:
                          > > The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you
                          own ptgui,
                          > > ptmac, or use hugin.
                          > >
                          > > I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except
                          for
                          > > reducing the resolution of your image.
                          > >

                          > > Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the
                          aforementioned
                          > > programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand
                          fashion, and
                          > > without memory limitations.
                          >
                          > Extacting the zenith and/or nadir in PTGui forces you to bounce
                          back and
                          > forth between PTGui and Photoshop (i.e., output the pano in PTGui,
                          open
                          > it in PS, do any post production clean up, save the file, open it
                          in
                          > PTGui, extract the Z/N, open the Z/N in PS and fix it, save the
                          file,
                          > reinsert it in PTGui), output a final pano. Whereas if you use
                          PTAdjust
                          > you can output the pano in PTGui, open it in PS, do any post
                          production
                          > clean up, extract theZ/N, fix it, reinsert it, save the file and
                          you're
                          > done. I prefer to use PTGui to generate the pano and PS to
                          finalize
                          > it. Then I'm only in each program once and I'm off to Pano2VR to
                          > generate the final .MOVs and .SWFs. It's a lot easier than
                          bouncing
                          > back and forth between 2 programs.
                          >
                          > > If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many
                          people
                          > > here
                          > > who can help.
                          > >

                          > > Sacha Griffin
                          > >
                          > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                          > >
                          > > http://www.southern-digital.com
                          > >
                          > > http://www.seeit360.net
                        • ptgroup
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 1 11:07 AM
                            Hm - my plugin never changed name, it stays the same
                            "epaperless" sound weird I know epaperpress, that is where PTLens comes
                            from.
                            But I never had such RAM problems as you mentioned.
                            Ciao
                            Mike
                            www.360de.de

                            ----------------------------------

                            -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

                            wrote:

                            > On 3/28/2008 5:23 PM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the
                            keyboard
                            > and typed ...:
                            > > The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you
                            own ptgui,
                            > > ptmac, or use hugin.
                            > >
                            > > I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except
                            for
                            > > reducing the resolution of your image.
                            > >

                            > > Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the
                            aforementioned
                            > > programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand
                            fashion, and
                            > > without memory limitations.
                            >
                            > Extacting the zenith and/or nadir in PTGui forces you to bounce
                            back and
                            > forth between PTGui and Photoshop (i.e., output the pano in PTGui,
                            open
                            > it in PS, do any post production clean up, save the file, open it
                            in
                            > PTGui, extract the Z/N, open the Z/N in PS and fix it, save the
                            file,
                            > reinsert it in PTGui), output a final pano. Whereas if you use
                            PTAdjust
                            > you can output the pano in PTGui, open it in PS, do any post
                            production
                            > clean up, extract theZ/N, fix it, reinsert it, save the file and
                            you're
                            > done. I prefer to use PTGui to generate the pano and PS to
                            finalize
                            > it. Then I'm only in each program once and I'm off to Pano2VR to
                            > generate the final .MOVs and .SWFs. It's a lot easier than
                            bouncing
                            > back and forth between 2 programs.
                            >
                            > > If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many
                            people
                            > > here
                            > > who can help.
                            > >

                            > > Sacha Griffin
                            > >
                            > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                            > >
                            > > http://www.southern-digital.com
                            > >
                            > > http://www.seeit360.net

                            Checked by AVG.
                            19:15

                          • Sacha Griffin
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 1 11:11 AM
                              Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
                              before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone to a 5d
                              w 10.5.

                              However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
                              and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant hassle
                              and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360 panorama
                              is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
                              important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic convertor/panocube
                              and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that were
                              never meant for this purpose.

                              The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
                              matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.

                              Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes

                              Firefox (Pandora music)

                              Photoshop raw

                              Enfuse

                              Ptgui

                              FSPViewer

                              Ptgui (n or z extract)

                              Photoshop

                              Ptgui (n or z insert)

                              FSPViewer

                              Photoshop

                              FSPViewer

                              Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces

                              Notetab

                              Ws_ftp

                              Firefox (Preview)

                              BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce sprouts.
                              Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

                              Pat Swovelin
                              Cool Guy @ Large

                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 1 1:33 PM
                                On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 17:26, Daley wrote:

                                > ok, now that i have extracted partial view from equirectangular,
                                > that's fine. thanks. but my handheld nadir shoot still in fisheye
                                > format, what tool to defish it so that can patch the partial view ?

                                What program did you use to stitch the equirectangular? I assume it
                                was from the panotools family: hugin, PTGui, PTMac, PTAssembler
                                should be all more or less the same.

                                Extracting a floor partial view is great if you want to edit the
                                tripod hole directly f.e. by doubling floor tiles or cloning other
                                regular structures. If you want to insert a fisheye shot into an
                                rectilinear image the best way is to stitch them. You need to fix the
                                rectilinear view of course by not allowing to optimize any parameter
                                (FoV must be set manually, yaw, roll and pitch as well as lens
                                correction a, b and c all stay 0.0) The fisheye view needs
                                individual lens paramters, you must allow for the optimization of all
                                paramters to get a good fit.

                                However, it is not necessary if you want to insert a nadir shot into
                                a spherical panorama. You can simply add it to your original project.
                                There is a short tutorial (with screenshots from an outdated PTGui
                                version - but as said above, any of the GUIs should do):
                                http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots
                                A discussion of different nadir editing techniques is found on
                                http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview

                                best regards
                              • dalileis
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 1 3:23 PM
                                  For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                  app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

                                  http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

                                  It's superb.

                                  Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
                                  splendidly in 16bit.

                                  It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
                                  actual convertion takes place.

                                  It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.

                                  It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.

                                  It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                                  one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                                  to be.

                                  It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.

                                  Start using this NOW.

                                  Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.

                                  Regards,

                                  Dalileis
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 1 4:31 PM
                                    On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 22:23, dalileis wrote:

                                    > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                                    > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                                    > to be.
                                    >
                                    > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
                                    >
                                    > Start using this NOW.

                                    Would you write a short description for the wiki? Or a tutorial if
                                    possible? I'd very much like to include it in the zenith and nadir
                                    editing overview...

                                    best regards
                                  • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 1 5:02 PM
                                      This could be your answer...(the memory size one being the more important
                                      point)

                                      Quoted from the website:
                                      ------------------------
                                      Known issues:
                                      - The plugins don't work with float images. I will be able to support float
                                      as soon as FilterMeister does.
                                      - Running the plugins eat a lot of memory, about three times as much as the
                                      images themselves. On my 3Gb machine I hit the roof at 10000 pixel float
                                      images. Other users with 2Gb of RAM have been able to convert maximum 6000
                                      pixel images. I am looking into this, but since there's little memory
                                      managment I can do I'm afraid that this also is a limitation of
                                      FilterMeister.
                                      ------------------------

                                      Often I also prefer to use a rectilinear view for the nadir; especially if
                                      looking at a regular patterned surface. (eg. Tiles, floorboards, etc.)

                                      Cheers,
                                      Darren.

                                      )
[...]
                                    • AYRTON
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 1 7:00 PM
                                        On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:

                                        > For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                        > app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

                                        Because most professionals use MAC :-)
                                        And this is windows only.

                                        > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                                        >
                                        > It's superb.
                                        >
                                        > Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
                                        > splendidly in 16bit.
                                        >
                                        > It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
                                        > actual convertion takes place.
                                        >
                                        > It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.
                                        >
                                        > It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.
                                        >
                                        > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                                        > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                                        > to be.
                                        >
                                        > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
                                        >
                                        > Start using this NOW.
                                        >
                                        > Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > Dalileis

                                        ------------
                                        | A Y R |
                                        | T O N |
                                        ------------

                                        + 55 21 9982 6313

                                        http://ayrton360.com
                                        http://rio.360cities.net
                                        http://vrfolio.com
                                        http://ayrton.com

                                      • Daley
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 1 8:45 PM
                                          ha, you real funny there. i got 4 cats, 3 dogs here though. Mostly
                                          lost their way. some cats stay for few month didn't make it(old),
                                          some stay n run away but come back later. Some newcomer. I just let
                                          them in n out. One happy family!

                                          Sure will look your templating http://www.seeit360.net/panotools.

                                          Tq everyone, great detail, explanation. The more i learn , the more
                                          i don't know.

                                          Daley.

                                          > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my
                                          lettuce sprouts.
                                          > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?
                                          >

                                          > Sacha Griffin
                                          >
                                          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                                          >
                                          > http://www.southern-digital.com
                                          >
                                          > http://www.seeit360.net
                                          >
                                          > 404-551-4275

                                        • Pat Swovelin
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 1 8:53 PM
                                            On 4/1/2008 7:00 PM, AYRTON's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                            typed ...:
                                            > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                            >> app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                                            >

                                            > Because most professionals use MAC :-)

                                            "Professionals," no matter what OS they use, know that platform wars are
                                            unnecessarily divisive and not productive to intelligently discussing
                                            issues.

                                            > And this is windows only.

                                            Pat Swovelin
                                            Cool Guy @ Large
                                          • Pat Swovelin
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 1 11:24 PM
                                              On 4/1/2008 11:11 AM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                              and typed ...:
                                              > Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
                                              > before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone
                                              > to a 5d
                                              > w 10.5.
                                              >
                                              > However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
                                              > and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant
                                              > hassle
                                              > and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360
                                              > panorama
                                              > is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
                                              > important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic
                                              > convertor/panocube
                                              > and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that
                                              > were
                                              > never meant for this purpose.
                                              >
                                              > The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
                                              > matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.
                                              >

                                              > Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes
                                              >
                                              > Firefox (Pandora music)
                                              >
                                              > Photoshop raw
                                              >
                                              > Enfuse
                                              >
                                              > Ptgui
                                              >
                                              > FSPViewer
                                              >
                                              > Ptgui (n or z extract)
                                              >
                                              > Photoshop
                                              >
                                              > Ptgui (n or z insert)
                                              >
                                              > FSPViewer
                                              >
                                              > Photoshop
                                              >
                                              > FSPViewer

                                              Instead of bouncing out to FSPViewer (as good as it is) you can send the
                                              equirect directly to DevalVR from within Photoshop without having to
                                              save it as a .TIF first. It's *really* slick.

                                              > Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces
                                              >
                                              > Notetab
                                              >
                                              > Ws_ftp
                                              >
                                              > Firefox (Preview)
                                              >

                                              > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce
                                              > sprouts.
                                              > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

                                              No but you can call Homeland Security to get rid of him. "Save the
                                              sprouts! Save the sprouts!" should be your rallying cry. =8^)

                                              Pat Swovelin
                                              Cool Guy @ Large
                                            • Keith Martin
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 2 1:53 AM
                                                Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:

                                                >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                                >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                                                >
                                                >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

                                                Two good reasons.

                                                One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                                                And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                                              • Geoff Mather
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 2 4:42 AM
                                                  It also works within Paint Shop Pro XI (No reason why earlier versions
                                                  won't work either) as well simply save the files into the PlugIns
                                                  folder and your away.

                                                  Geoff
                                                • Rune Spaans
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 16, 2008

                                                    > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:
                                                    >
                                                    > >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                                    > >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                                                    > >
                                                    > >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                                                    >
                                                    > Two good reasons.
                                                    >
                                                    > One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                                                    > And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                                                    I hope to have native Photoshop Windows and Mac version of these
                                                    plugins released in a year. We finally got a Mac here in the house,
                                                    and I am looking at the Photoshop SDK in my spare time. That will lead
                                                    to a faster and more memory efficient plugin as well :)

                                                    Rune