Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: panosaurus and camera

Expand Messages
  • stevenkan
    ... Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus that I wouldn t mind selling. It s the 2nd-generation model (black color). In my opinion it s a terrific
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas <dquelhas@...>
      wrote:
      >
      > Hi Pau,
      >
      > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
      > definitly buy it until i have other options (meaning
      > more money :-)).

      Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus that I wouldn't
      mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black color). In my
      opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of the extra pieces
      and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.

      It is too large to travel around with, though, and a bit cumbersome
      to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can calibrate my NN
      without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS, but I am wiser for
      having owned the PS because I've been through the educational process.

      I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise choice for a first
      pano head for this reason.

      So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a very-lightly-used
      Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S. the shipping
      costs would make this impractial.

      p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this group? I tried to
      pepper this post with opinions _about_ the Panosaurus :)
    • Dinis Quelhas
      Hi Steve, i live in the UK. Thanks anyway. Besides, i have already ordered the panosaurus. Dinis ... __________________________________________________ Do You
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Steve,

        i live in the UK. Thanks anyway. Besides, i have
        already ordered the panosaurus.

        Dinis

        --- stevenkan <steven@...> wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas
        > <dquelhas@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Pau,
        > >
        > > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
        > > definitly buy it until i have other options
        > (meaning
        > > more money :-)).
        >
        > Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus
        > that I wouldn't
        > mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black
        > color). In my
        > opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of
        > the extra pieces
        > and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.
        >
        > It is too large to travel around with, though, and a
        > bit cumbersome
        > to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can
        > calibrate my NN
        > without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS,
        > but I am wiser for
        > having owned the PS because I've been through the
        > educational process.
        >
        > I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise
        > choice for a first
        > pano head for this reason.
        >
        > So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a
        > very-lightly-used
        > Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S.
        > the shipping
        > costs would make this impractial.
        >
        > p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this
        > group? I tried to
        > pepper this post with opinions _about_ the
        > Panosaurus :)
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >


        __________________________________________________
        Do You Yahoo!?
        Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dinis Quelhas
        Hi Bjørn, i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a little bit on how to make this easier, so i m just waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Bjørn,

          i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
          little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
          waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
          some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
          it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
          panorama. Let's see how it works.
          As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
          them.

          Thanks,

          Dinis

          --- Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

          > On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:
          >
          > > Hello again,
          > >
          > > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
          > > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
          > > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it
          > works.
          > >
          > > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
          > > post the results as soon as i test it.
          >
          > You should be able to find a fisheye with a
          > compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
          > USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and
          > a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
          > bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?
          >
          > You can make panos without a fisheye, and even
          > without a very wide angle lens, but it
          > takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I
          > got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
          > used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The
          > longer the focal length, the more
          > resolution you will get in the end result, but it is
          > a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
          > for each pano...--
          > bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen
          > http://bknilssen.no/
          > Kristiansand, Norway
          >
          >
          >


          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • pau
          Whe are all waiting for your panosaurus to arrive and for you to do your tests .... it will be suprising for sure! pau valiente www.pau.cc ... [Non-text
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Whe are all waiting for your panosaurus to arrive and for you to do
            your tests .... it will be suprising for sure!


            pau valiente
            www.pau.cc







            El 06/09/2006, a las 12:28, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

            > Hi Bjørn,
            >
            > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
            > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
            > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
            > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
            > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
            > panorama. Let's see how it works.
            > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
            > them.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Dinis



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • stevenkan
            ... You can actually start doing some preliminary work before you get your panosaurus. For example, a positioning template will be very helpful for
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas <dquelhas@...>
              wrote:
              >
              > Hi Bjørn,
              >
              > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
              > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
              > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
              > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
              > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
              > panorama. Let's see how it works.
              > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
              > them.

              You can actually start doing some preliminary work before you get
              your panosaurus. For example, a positioning template will be very
              helpful for troubleshooting your panos, especially if you're going to
              have a large number of shots.

              Here's what I did:

              1) Created a new project in PTGui and imported one real photo from my
              camera to get the EXIF and lens info into the project. Set the output
              pano type to spherical with 360 x 180 FOV, etc.
              2) In Photoshop, created a "dummy.jpg" with the same dimension that
              was all white with a black border
              3) Dragged that dummy.jpg into the project 36 times (I used 23 shots)
              4) Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in the
              roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

              This project will now show you how much overlap you'll have between
              adjacent shots, how much nadir you'll need to patch, etc. And you can
              experiment with different pitch angles and numbers of shots per
              elevation before you go out and shoot for real.

              Once you actually shoot, you'll then be able to drag your real shots
              into a new project and then Apply Template to pre-position your
              shots. The Panorama Editor will then show you a view that should look
              almost like a stitched panorama. This makes it _much_ easier to see
              if you have incorrect shots or incorrect order, etc. and also to see
              if you have mismatched control points (e.g. between non-adjacent
              images).

              I did just such a template for a CoolPix 990 + WC-E63:

              <http://www.kan.org/pano/template>

              I found that managing 20+ images per pano without a template to be
              very challenging.
            • John Houghton
              ... You can, of course, use the Fill yaw... button to enter the yaw values of selected images automatically, and enter a pitch or roll value into selected
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "stevenkan" <steven@...> wrote:

                > Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in
                > the roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                You can, of course, use the "Fill yaw..." button to enter the yaw
                values of selected images automatically, and enter a pitch or roll
                value into selected images also). This speeds things up considerably.

                John
              • Dinis Quelhas
                Hi Steven, thanks for the tips, i will definitly try to replicate what you explained about the template. I have never thought of that and it seems to be a
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hi Steven,

                  thanks for the tips, i will definitly try to replicate
                  what you explained about the template. I have never
                  thought of that and it seems to be a brilliant idea!

                  My panosaurus ended up arriving yesterday and i spent
                  a couple of hours testing it at night. The panosaurus
                  itself is a bit too basic, but for a starter like me
                  it doesn't look bad to learn, though for about 20 more
                  dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head wich seems to
                  be quite more precise.

                  But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                  the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                  tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                  way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                  My experiences from yesterday gave me a pretty good
                  notion about the paralax effects and how the absense
                  of it can make a very pleasent surprises.

                  I will now download the trial version of some
                  programs, and benchmark them with the photos i have
                  taken, with and without the nodal point set so i can
                  decide wich one to buy (i will post the results later
                  in a webpage).

                  I found that it was too much trouble to be taking 360
                  panoramas with a tripod and a old digital camera like
                  mine (coolpix 2000). I made something like 45-50
                  shots, and, as i mentioned before, since my tripod is
                  terrible, i got it very imprecise and looking funny.
                  So, can someone explain this ignorant what are the
                  differences between a hyperbolic mirror(?) and fisheye
                  lenses? If there is any difference, wich one is better
                  for the panos?

                  Thanks for all your support, this group is excellent!

                  Dinis




                  --- stevenkan <steven@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas
                  > <dquelhas@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Bjørn,
                  > >
                  > > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                  > > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                  > > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start
                  > making
                  > > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told
                  > me,
                  > > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                  > > panorama. Let's see how it works.
                  > > As soon as i have obtained some results i will
                  > post
                  > > them.
                  >
                  > You can actually start doing some preliminary work
                  > before you get
                  > your panosaurus. For example, a positioning template
                  > will be very
                  > helpful for troubleshooting your panos, especially
                  > if you're going to
                  > have a large number of shots.
                  >
                  > Here's what I did:
                  >
                  > 1) Created a new project in PTGui and imported one
                  > real photo from my
                  > camera to get the EXIF and lens info into the
                  > project. Set the output
                  > pano type to spherical with 360 x 180 FOV, etc.
                  > 2) In Photoshop, created a "dummy.jpg" with the same
                  > dimension that
                  > was all white with a black border
                  > 3) Dragged that dummy.jpg into the project 36 times
                  > (I used 23 shots)
                  > 4) Based on my intended shooting order, I then
                  > manually typed in the
                  > roll, pitch and yaw for each image.
                  >
                  > This project will now show you how much overlap
                  > you'll have between
                  > adjacent shots, how much nadir you'll need to patch,
                  > etc. And you can
                  > experiment with different pitch angles and numbers
                  > of shots per
                  > elevation before you go out and shoot for real.
                  >
                  > Once you actually shoot, you'll then be able to drag
                  > your real shots
                  > into a new project and then Apply Template to
                  > pre-position your
                  > shots. The Panorama Editor will then show you a view
                  > that should look
                  > almost like a stitched panorama. This makes it
                  > _much_ easier to see
                  > if you have incorrect shots or incorrect order, etc.
                  > and also to see
                  > if you have mismatched control points (e.g. between
                  > non-adjacent
                  > images).
                  >
                  > I did just such a template for a CoolPix 990 +
                  > WC-E63:
                  >
                  > <http://www.kan.org/pano/template>
                  >
                  > I found that managing 20+ images per pano without a
                  > template to be
                  > very challenging.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >


                  __________________________________________________
                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • pau
                  ... I don t think so: Panosaurus is 75,95 dollars Nodal Ninja is 199,95 dollars retail, now 159,95 special offer (plus 5 dollars international orders + S/H) If
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    > though for about 20 more
                    > dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head

                    I don't think so:
                    Panosaurus is 75,95 dollars
                    Nodal Ninja is 199,95 dollars retail, now 159,95 special offer (plus
                    5 dollars international orders + S/H)

                    If the difference wa only 20 dollars much people would decided for
                    NN, but it costs the double +.

                    pau valiente
                    www.pau.cc







                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • pau
                    ... I did the same, after buying the panoramic head I found out my tripod was very unstable, so I went to buy a new one. After looking out I finished with two
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      El 07/09/2006, a las 11:21, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                      > But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                      > the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                      > tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                      > way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?


                      I did the same, after buying the panoramic head I found out my tripod
                      was very unstable, so I went to buy a new one.
                      After looking out I finished with two tripods in mind:
                      Manfrotto 190 PRO
                      Manfrotto 055 PRO

                      and tripod head:
                      ballhead 486RC2

                      also for easy mounting and unmounting I got a quick release for the
                      pano-head:
                      quick-release plate 323

                      this way it is a great and table setup.

                      pau valiente
                      www.pau.cc







                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • Dinis Quelhas
                      Ups, you are spot on. My mistake looking at the prices. Sorry Greg :) ... __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam?
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Ups, you are spot on. My mistake looking at the
                        prices. Sorry Greg :)

                        --- pau <pau@...> wrote:

                        >
                        > > though for about 20 more
                        > > dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head
                        >
                        > I don't think so:
                        > Panosaurus is 75,95 dollars
                        > Nodal Ninja is 199,95 dollars retail, now 159,95
                        > special offer (plus
                        > 5 dollars international orders + S/H)
                        >
                        > If the difference wa only 20 dollars much people
                        > would decided for
                        > NN, but it costs the double +.
                        >
                        > pau valiente
                        > www.pau.cc
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > [Non-text portions of this message have been
                        > removed]
                        >
                        >


                        __________________________________________________
                        Do You Yahoo!?
                        Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.