Re: [PanoToolsNG] panosaurus and camera

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:

      > Hello again,
      >
      > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
      > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
      > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it works.
      >
      > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
      > post the results as soon as i test it.

      You should be able to find a fisheye with a compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
      USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
      bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?

      You can make panos without a fisheye, and even without a very wide angle lens, but it
      takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
      used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The longer the focal length, the more
      resolution you will get in the end result, but it is a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
      for each pano...--
      bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
      Kristiansand, Norway
    • stevenkan
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas <dquelhas@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Pau,
        >
        > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
        > definitly buy it until i have other options (meaning
        > more money :-)).

        Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus that I wouldn't
        mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black color). In my
        opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of the extra pieces
        and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.

        It is too large to travel around with, though, and a bit cumbersome
        to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can calibrate my NN
        without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS, but I am wiser for
        having owned the PS because I've been through the educational process.

        I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise choice for a first
        pano head for this reason.

        So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a very-lightly-used
        Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S. the shipping
        costs would make this impractial.

        p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this group? I tried to
        pepper this post with opinions _about_ the Panosaurus :)
      • Dinis Quelhas
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
          Hi Steve,

          i live in the UK. Thanks anyway. Besides, i have
          already ordered the panosaurus.

          Dinis

          --- stevenkan <steven@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas
          > <dquelhas@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Pau,
          > >
          > > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
          > > definitly buy it until i have other options
          > (meaning
          > > more money :-)).
          >
          > Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus
          > that I wouldn't
          > mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black
          > color). In my
          > opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of
          > the extra pieces
          > and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.
          >
          > It is too large to travel around with, though, and a
          > bit cumbersome
          > to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can
          > calibrate my NN
          > without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS,
          > but I am wiser for
          > having owned the PS because I've been through the
          > educational process.
          >
          > I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise
          > choice for a first
          > pano head for this reason.
          >
          > So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a
          > very-lightly-used
          > Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S.
          > the shipping
          > costs would make this impractial.
          >
          > p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this
          > group? I tried to
          > pepper this post with opinions _about_ the
          > Panosaurus :)

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Dinis Quelhas
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
            Hi Bjørn,

            i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
            little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
            waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
            some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
            it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
            panorama. Let's see how it works.
            As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
            them.

            Thanks,

            Dinis

            --- Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

            > On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:
            >
            > > Hello again,
            > >
            > > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
            > > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
            > > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it
            > works.
            > >
            > > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
            > > post the results as soon as i test it.
            >
            > You should be able to find a fisheye with a
            > compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
            > USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and
            > a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
            > bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?
            >
            > You can make panos without a fisheye, and even
            > without a very wide angle lens, but it
            > takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I
            > got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
            > used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The
            > longer the focal length, the more
            > resolution you will get in the end result, but it is
            > a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
            > for each pano...--
            > bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen
            > http://bknilssen.no/
            > Kristiansand, Norway

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • pau
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
              Whe are all waiting for your panosaurus to arrive and for you to do
              your tests .... it will be suprising for sure!

              pau valiente
              www.pau.cc

              El 06/09/2006, a las 12:28, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

              > Hi Bjørn,
              >
              > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
              > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
              > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
              > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
              > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
              > panorama. Let's see how it works.
              > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
              > them.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Dinis

            • stevenkan
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                wrote:

                > Hi Bjørn,
                >
                > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                > panorama. Let's see how it works.
                > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                > them.

                You can actually start doing some preliminary work before you get
                your panosaurus. For example, a positioning template will be very
                helpful for troubleshooting your panos, especially if you're going to
                have a large number of shots.

                Here's what I did:

                1) Created a new project in PTGui and imported one real photo from my
                camera to get the EXIF and lens info into the project. Set the output
                pano type to spherical with 360 x 180 FOV, etc.
                2) In Photoshop, created a "dummy.jpg" with the same dimension that
                was all white with a black border
                3) Dragged that dummy.jpg into the project 36 times (I used 23 shots)
                4) Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in the
                roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                This project will now show you how much overlap you'll have between
                adjacent shots, how much nadir you'll need to patch, etc. And you can
                experiment with different pitch angles and numbers of shots per
                elevation before you go out and shoot for real.

                Once you actually shoot, you'll then be able to drag your real shots
                into a new project and then Apply Template to pre-position your
                shots. The Panorama Editor will then show you a view that should look
                almost like a stitched panorama. This makes it _much_ easier to see
                if you have incorrect shots or incorrect order, etc. and also to see
                if you have mismatched control points (e.g. between non-adjacent
                images).

                I did just such a template for a CoolPix 990 + WC-E63:

                <http://www.kan.org/pano/template>

                I found that managing 20+ images per pano without a template to be
                very challenging.
              • John Houghton
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "stevenkan" <steven@...> wrote:

                  > Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in
                  > the roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                  You can, of course, use the "Fill yaw..." button to enter the yaw
                  values of selected images automatically, and enter a pitch or roll
                  value into selected images also). This speeds things up considerably.

                  John
                • Dinis Quelhas
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                    Hi Steven,

                    thanks for the tips, i will definitly try to replicate
                    what you explained about the template. I have never
                    thought of that and it seems to be a brilliant idea!

                    My panosaurus ended up arriving yesterday and i spent
                    a couple of hours testing it at night. The panosaurus
                    itself is a bit too basic, but for a starter like me
                    it doesn't look bad to learn, though for about 20 more
                    dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head wich seems to
                    be quite more precise.

                    But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                    the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                    tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                    way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                    My experiences from yesterday gave me a pretty good
                    notion about the paralax effects and how the absense
                    of it can make a very pleasent surprises.

                    I will now download the trial version of some
                    programs, and benchmark them with the photos i have
                    taken, with and without the nodal point set so i can
                    decide wich one to buy (i will post the results later
                    in a webpage).

                    I found that it was too much trouble to be taking 360
                    panoramas with a tripod and a old digital camera like
                    mine (coolpix 2000). I made something like 45-50
                    shots, and, as i mentioned before, since my tripod is
                    terrible, i got it very imprecise and looking funny.
                    So, can someone explain this ignorant what are the
                    differences between a hyperbolic mirror(?) and fisheye
                    lenses? If there is any difference, wich one is better
                    for the panos?

                    Thanks for all your support, this group is excellent!

                    Dinis

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • pau
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                      > though for about 20 more
                      > dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head

                      I don't think so:
                      Panosaurus is 75,95 dollars
                      Nodal Ninja is 199,95 dollars retail, now 159,95 special offer (plus
                      5 dollars international orders + S/H)

                      If the difference wa only 20 dollars much people would decided for
                      NN, but it costs the double +.

                      pau valiente
                      www.pau.cc

                    • pau
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                        El 07/09/2006, a las 11:21, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                        > But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                        > the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                        > tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                        > way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                        I did the same, after buying the panoramic head I found out my tripod
                        was very unstable, so I went to buy a new one.
                        After looking out I finished with two tripods in mind:
                        Manfrotto 190 PRO
                        Manfrotto 055 PRO

                        and tripod head:
                        ballhead 486RC2

                        also for easy mounting and unmounting I got a quick release for the
                        pano-head:
                        quick-release plate 323

                        this way it is a great and table setup.

                        pau valiente
                        www.pau.cc

                      • Dinis Quelhas
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                          Ups, you are spot on. My mistake looking at the
                          prices. Sorry Greg :)

                          http://mail.yahoo.com