Re: [PanoToolsNG] Projecting a full 360 revolving panorama on the walls of a room.

  • Bruno Postle
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
      On Fri 01-Sep-2006 at 14:43 +0200, pau wrote:

      > I like the idea, it's a interesting posibility, would like to hear
      > possible solutions....

      Some day I intend to map a 360 panorama onto 'wallpaper', and cover
      an entire room with a single image such that the centre of
      perspective coincides with a seat in the middle.

      It could easily work with any shaped room.

      --
      Bruno
    • "D.I. Felipe B. González"
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
        Been there. Done that.

        Last year I made a project called "Casa Virtual Habitat". It was made
        for an interior design exhibit on México City. Our sponsor run very low
        on budget, so we couldn't do an interactive show as it was originally
        intended.

        This projection consisted of four similar video projectors sponsored by
        an audio and video rental company (I can't rember exactly the model, but
        as far as I remember we used Sanyo equipments with resolutions up to
        1024x768).
        We dimmed the light on the exhibit floor near the "Casa Virtual". Our
        walls were made of a simple tubular structure lined with white fabric
        (we tried a few different fabrics and used a matte cloth on the inside
        and black cloth on the outside (avoid using shinny fabric, if you budget
        allows it, buy real screen fabric). We had to cover the ceioling of the
        room using a black modular ceiling.
        Ou sponsor couldn't afford to buy the computer we suggest (A Dell
        precision workstation with two dual DVI graphics cards) so we bought a
        chinese assembled computer with a simian technology video card with four
        vga outputs.
        I intended to use SPIVI to display the panoramas, but I used
        Macromedia's Director instead ( our sponsor didn't had budget to record
        a scripted audio to synchronize with the projection, neither had the
        budget to pay for a complex programming).

        I had to project the panos with a resolution of 800x600 by wall due to
        harware limitations, my panos cycled with a simple timeout and used a
        script to autorotate the four views of the pano (I had a 3200x600 pixels
        desktop along four monitors-or projectors). I didn't had to completely
        close the projection room since I was required to have a walkway running
        through it.

        I can send you pictures, if you like.

        Best regards

        from the subtropical regions of Mexico

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
        felipe@...

      • jeffrey
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
          >After my first research, I would say that the main problem is cost. Since
          >you need several video beamers, a powerful computer infrastructure (by means
          >of powerful graphical cards) plus the required software to do the blending,
          >such systems get very expensive (> 100K $). There are several offerers
          >around but it seems that they have kind of monopoly prices.

          ????

          just a dome, and a dome mirror, and one projector, that's all you
          need! if you want the mirror off-center in the dome, then you warp the
          movie accordingly. peter murphy has a colleague who "invented" this. i
          can't find the link right now because i'm only on my second cup of
          coffee.

          WE (panoheads) are not talking much to THEM (dome theater people) and
          i think we should be!! we're doing the same thing, from different
          ends!

          --

          ---------------------
          www.panopticpictures.com - Immersive Imaging
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
            ha ha ha!!!
            i've been thinking about the same - in my bathroom. so when you're
            sitting on the toilet :-D

            i was inspired by the italian "perspectivist" ceilings in chateau
            troja here in prague. absolutely amazing stuff. they didn't let me
            take photos. but i'll try again sometime....

            here is a page showing perspectivist painting but you don't get that
            3-d feeling of course
            http://eng.tzar.ru/catherine/grand

            On Fri 01-Sep-2006 at 14:43 +0200, pau wrote:

            > I like the idea, it's a interesting posibility, would like to hear
            > possible solutions....

            Some day I intend to map a 360 panorama onto 'wallpaper', and cover
            an entire room with a single image such that the centre of
            perspective coincides with a seat in the middle.

            It could easily work with any shaped room.
            --

            ---------------------
            www.panopticpictures.com - Immersive Imaging
            www.prague360.com - A Guide to Prague
            www.jeffrey-martin.com - Portraits, Documentary, Flying Photography
          • Matthias Taugwalder
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
              > just a dome, and a dome mirror, and one projector, that's all you
              > need! if you want the mirror off-center in the dome, then you warp the
              > movie accordingly. peter murphy has a colleague who "invented" this. i
              > can't find the link right now because i'm only on my second cup of
              > coffee.

              Yes, sure that's true...

              I should have mentioned that I'm talking about VERY high resolution
              (gigapixel-)panoramas which I'm currently working on (300+ images, 50'000px
              width and more). Also then you're always limited to the maximum resolution
              of the beamers. With e.g. 8 beamers you get perhaps a cylinder with 8000 to
              10000 px maximum resolution for the whole 360° (depending on overlap, etc).
              <matthias.taugwalder@...>

            • Nick Crossland
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2006
                When we were at an exhibition earlier in the year we were approached by 3
                different companies that provide planetarium type 360° projection systems.
                Apparently one of their main problems is that once they supply these
                systems, it is hard to get content to show on them. Most of what they use is
                computer generated as there is virtually noone creating high resolution
                immersive video. They were interested in still images to a degree, but they
                are not very interesting for an audience to watch!

              • Anders Jiras
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2006
                  Here is a Mac videomixer software with a new beta that sounds very
                  interesting for multi-projection.
                  http://www.garagecube.com/modul8/
                  Click on: GET READY FOR MODUL8 V2.5 ! - PREVIEW >>

                  One of the main new features of the V2.5 is its ability to do multi-
                  projection. Now that the PCI-Express is available on Mac, it is
                  possible to have as many as four graphic cards on a single G5
                  machine, each with a double VGA output. In other words, seven outputs
                  plus one are available for the user-interface (figure 01).
                  Of course, multi-projection becomes particularly interesting when
                  various areas of a composition are displayed in different outputs.
                  And this is precisely what Modul8 V2.5 can do.

                  Price 299 Euro for the Modul8 V2.0

                  Anders