Re: [PanoToolsNG] panosaurus and camera

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1 6:27 AM
      On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:

      > Hello again,
      >
      > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
      > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
      > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it works.
      >
      > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
      > post the results as soon as i test it.

      You should be able to find a fisheye with a compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
      USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
      bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?

      You can make panos without a fisheye, and even without a very wide angle lens, but it
      takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
      used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The longer the focal length, the more
      resolution you will get in the end result, but it is a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
      for each pano...--
      bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
      Kristiansand, Norway
    • Dinis Quelhas
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1 6:29 AM
        Hi Rodrigo,

        i have the Nikon Coolpx 2000.
        (http://www2.europe-nikon.com/uploads/ndk/EditorialContent/Archive/Coolpix_2000.jpg)
        I do not know the lenses.

        Thanks for your attention,

        Dinis

        --- Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock <alarcon@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Dinis
        >
        > you mentioned that you have a coolpix, which model?
        > what lens, the E8?
        >
        > kind regards
        >
        > Rodrigo

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • stevenkan
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1 9:03 AM
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas <dquelhas@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Pau,
          >
          > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
          > definitly buy it until i have other options (meaning
          > more money :-)).

          Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus that I wouldn't
          mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black color). In my
          opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of the extra pieces
          and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.

          It is too large to travel around with, though, and a bit cumbersome
          to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can calibrate my NN
          without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS, but I am wiser for
          having owned the PS because I've been through the educational process.

          I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise choice for a first
          pano head for this reason.

          So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a very-lightly-used
          Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S. the shipping
          costs would make this impractial.

          p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this group? I tried to
          pepper this post with opinions _about_ the Panosaurus :)
        • Dinis Quelhas
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1 9:16 AM
            Hi Steve,

            i live in the UK. Thanks anyway. Besides, i have
            already ordered the panosaurus.

            Dinis

            --- stevenkan <steven@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas
            > <dquelhas@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Pau,
            > >
            > > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
            > > definitly buy it until i have other options
            > (meaning
            > > more money :-)).
            >
            > Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus
            > that I wouldn't
            > mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black
            > color). In my
            > opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of
            > the extra pieces
            > and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.
            >
            > It is too large to travel around with, though, and a
            > bit cumbersome
            > to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can
            > calibrate my NN
            > without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS,
            > but I am wiser for
            > having owned the PS because I've been through the
            > educational process.
            >
            > I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise
            > choice for a first
            > pano head for this reason.
            >
            > So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a
            > very-lightly-used
            > Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S.
            > the shipping
            > costs would make this impractial.
            >
            > p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this
            > group? I tried to
            > pepper this post with opinions _about_ the
            > Panosaurus :)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Dinis Quelhas
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 6 3:28 AM
              Hi Bjørn,

              i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
              little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
              waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
              some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
              it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
              panorama. Let's see how it works.
              As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
              them.

              Thanks,

              Dinis

              --- Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

              > On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:
              >
              > > Hello again,
              > >
              > > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
              > > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
              > > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it
              > works.
              > >
              > > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
              > > post the results as soon as i test it.
              >
              > You should be able to find a fisheye with a
              > compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
              > USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and
              > a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
              > bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?
              >
              > You can make panos without a fisheye, and even
              > without a very wide angle lens, but it
              > takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I
              > got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
              > used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The
              > longer the focal length, the more
              > resolution you will get in the end result, but it is
              > a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
              > for each pano...--
              > bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen
              > http://bknilssen.no/
              > Kristiansand, Norway

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • pau
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 6 10:33 AM
                Whe are all waiting for your panosaurus to arrive and for you to do
                your tests .... it will be suprising for sure!

                pau valiente
                www.pau.cc

                El 06/09/2006, a las 12:28, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                > Hi Bjørn,
                >
                > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                > panorama. Let's see how it works.
                > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                > them.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Dinis

              • stevenkan
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 6 12:28 PM
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Bjørn,
                  >
                  > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                  > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                  > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                  > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                  > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                  > panorama. Let's see how it works.
                  > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                  > them.

                  You can actually start doing some preliminary work before you get
                  your panosaurus. For example, a positioning template will be very
                  helpful for troubleshooting your panos, especially if you're going to
                  have a large number of shots.

                  Here's what I did:

                  1) Created a new project in PTGui and imported one real photo from my
                  camera to get the EXIF and lens info into the project. Set the output
                  pano type to spherical with 360 x 180 FOV, etc.
                  2) In Photoshop, created a "dummy.jpg" with the same dimension that
                  was all white with a black border
                  3) Dragged that dummy.jpg into the project 36 times (I used 23 shots)
                  4) Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in the
                  roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                  This project will now show you how much overlap you'll have between
                  adjacent shots, how much nadir you'll need to patch, etc. And you can
                  experiment with different pitch angles and numbers of shots per
                  elevation before you go out and shoot for real.

                  Once you actually shoot, you'll then be able to drag your real shots
                  into a new project and then Apply Template to pre-position your
                  shots. The Panorama Editor will then show you a view that should look
                  almost like a stitched panorama. This makes it _much_ easier to see
                  if you have incorrect shots or incorrect order, etc. and also to see
                  if you have mismatched control points (e.g. between non-adjacent
                  images).

                  I did just such a template for a CoolPix 990 + WC-E63:

                  <http://www.kan.org/pano/template>

                  I found that managing 20+ images per pano without a template to be
                  very challenging.
                • John Houghton
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 6 11:52 PM
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "stevenkan" <steven@...> wrote:

                    > Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in
                    > the roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                    You can, of course, use the "Fill yaw..." button to enter the yaw
                    values of selected images automatically, and enter a pitch or roll
                    value into selected images also). This speeds things up considerably.

                    John
                  • Dinis Quelhas
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 7 2:21 AM
                      Hi Steven,

                      thanks for the tips, i will definitly try to replicate
                      what you explained about the template. I have never
                      thought of that and it seems to be a brilliant idea!

                      My panosaurus ended up arriving yesterday and i spent
                      a couple of hours testing it at night. The panosaurus
                      itself is a bit too basic, but for a starter like me
                      it doesn't look bad to learn, though for about 20 more
                      dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head wich seems to
                      be quite more precise.

                      But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                      the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                      tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                      way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                      My experiences from yesterday gave me a pretty good
                      notion about the paralax effects and how the absense
                      of it can make a very pleasent surprises.

                      I will now download the trial version of some
                      programs, and benchmark them with the photos i have
                      taken, with and without the nodal point set so i can
                      decide wich one to buy (i will post the results later
                      in a webpage).

                      I found that it was too much trouble to be taking 360
                      panoramas with a tripod and a old digital camera like
                      mine (coolpix 2000). I made something like 45-50
                      shots, and, as i mentioned before, since my tripod is
                      terrible, i got it very imprecise and looking funny.
                      So, can someone explain this ignorant what are the
                      differences between a hyperbolic mirror(?) and fisheye
                      lenses? If there is any difference, wich one is better
                      for the panos?

                      Thanks for all your support, this group is excellent!

                      Dinis

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • pau
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 7 3:07 AM
                        > though for about 20 more
                        > dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head

                        I don't think so:
                        Panosaurus is 75,95 dollars
                        Nodal Ninja is 199,95 dollars retail, now 159,95 special offer (plus
                        5 dollars international orders + S/H)

                        If the difference wa only 20 dollars much people would decided for
                        NN, but it costs the double +.

                        pau valiente
                        www.pau.cc

                      • pau
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 7 3:14 AM
                          El 07/09/2006, a las 11:21, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                          > But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                          > the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                          > tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                          > way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                          I did the same, after buying the panoramic head I found out my tripod
                          was very unstable, so I went to buy a new one.
                          After looking out I finished with two tripods in mind:
                          Manfrotto 190 PRO
                          Manfrotto 055 PRO

                          and tripod head:
                          ballhead 486RC2

                          also for easy mounting and unmounting I got a quick release for the
                          pano-head:
                          quick-release plate 323

                          this way it is a great and table setup.

                          pau valiente
                          www.pau.cc

                        • Dinis Quelhas
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 7 5:05 AM
                            Ups, you are spot on. My mistake looking at the
                            prices. Sorry Greg :)

                            http://mail.yahoo.com