Re: [PanoToolsNG] Projecting a full 360 revolving panorama on the walls of a room.

  • pau
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Rodrigo!
      I like the idea, it's a interesting posibility, would like to hear
      possible solutions....

      pau valiente
      www.pau.cc

      El 01/09/2006, a las 14:36, Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock escribió:

      > Dear List member,
      >
      > Just wondering if anybody has seen or done a presentation using a 360º
      > revolving Panorama; projecting the full 360º on the walls of the room
      > around the people attending the meeting. If so what where the steps to
      > achieve this?
      >
      > Kind regards,
      >
      > Rodrigo

    • Matthias Taugwalder
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
        For a big project I'm currently evaluating different offers.

        After my first research, I would say that the main problem is cost. Since
        you need several video beamers, a powerful computer infrastructure (by means
        of powerful graphical cards) plus the required software to do the blending,
        such systems get very expensive (> 100K $). There are several offerers
        around but it seems that they have kind of monopoly prices.

        Feel free to contact me off-list for more information.

      • Bruno Postle
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
          On Fri 01-Sep-2006 at 14:43 +0200, pau wrote:

          > I like the idea, it's a interesting posibility, would like to hear
          > possible solutions....

          Some day I intend to map a 360 panorama onto 'wallpaper', and cover
          an entire room with a single image such that the centre of
          perspective coincides with a seat in the middle.

          It could easily work with any shaped room.

          --
          Bruno
        • "D.I. Felipe B. González"
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
            Been there. Done that.

            Last year I made a project called "Casa Virtual Habitat". It was made
            for an interior design exhibit on México City. Our sponsor run very low
            on budget, so we couldn't do an interactive show as it was originally
            intended.

            This projection consisted of four similar video projectors sponsored by
            an audio and video rental company (I can't rember exactly the model, but
            as far as I remember we used Sanyo equipments with resolutions up to
            1024x768).
            We dimmed the light on the exhibit floor near the "Casa Virtual". Our
            walls were made of a simple tubular structure lined with white fabric
            (we tried a few different fabrics and used a matte cloth on the inside
            and black cloth on the outside (avoid using shinny fabric, if you budget
            allows it, buy real screen fabric). We had to cover the ceioling of the
            room using a black modular ceiling.
            Ou sponsor couldn't afford to buy the computer we suggest (A Dell
            precision workstation with two dual DVI graphics cards) so we bought a
            chinese assembled computer with a simian technology video card with four
            vga outputs.
            I intended to use SPIVI to display the panoramas, but I used
            Macromedia's Director instead ( our sponsor didn't had budget to record
            a scripted audio to synchronize with the projection, neither had the
            budget to pay for a complex programming).

            I had to project the panos with a resolution of 800x600 by wall due to
            harware limitations, my panos cycled with a simple timeout and used a
            script to autorotate the four views of the pano (I had a 3200x600 pixels
            desktop along four monitors-or projectors). I didn't had to completely
            close the projection room since I was required to have a walkway running
            through it.

            I can send you pictures, if you like.

            Best regards

            from the subtropical regions of Mexico

            --
            L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
            felipe@...

          • jeffrey
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
              >After my first research, I would say that the main problem is cost. Since
              >you need several video beamers, a powerful computer infrastructure (by means
              >of powerful graphical cards) plus the required software to do the blending,
              >such systems get very expensive (> 100K $). There are several offerers
              >around but it seems that they have kind of monopoly prices.

              ????

              just a dome, and a dome mirror, and one projector, that's all you
              need! if you want the mirror off-center in the dome, then you warp the
              movie accordingly. peter murphy has a colleague who "invented" this. i
              can't find the link right now because i'm only on my second cup of
              coffee.

              WE (panoheads) are not talking much to THEM (dome theater people) and
              i think we should be!! we're doing the same thing, from different
              ends!

              --

              ---------------------
              www.panopticpictures.com - Immersive Imaging
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
                ha ha ha!!!
                i've been thinking about the same - in my bathroom. so when you're
                sitting on the toilet :-D

                i was inspired by the italian "perspectivist" ceilings in chateau
                troja here in prague. absolutely amazing stuff. they didn't let me
                take photos. but i'll try again sometime....

                here is a page showing perspectivist painting but you don't get that
                3-d feeling of course
                http://eng.tzar.ru/catherine/grand

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
                  > just a dome, and a dome mirror, and one projector, that's all you
                  > need! if you want the mirror off-center in the dome, then you warp the
                  > movie accordingly. peter murphy has a colleague who "invented" this. i
                  > can't find the link right now because i'm only on my second cup of
                  > coffee.

                  Yes, sure that's true...

                  I should have mentioned that I'm talking about VERY high resolution
                  (gigapixel-)panoramas which I'm currently working on (300+ images, 50'000px
                  width and more). Also then you're always limited to the maximum resolution
                  of the beamers. With e.g. 8 beamers you get perhaps a cylinder with 8000 to
                  10000 px maximum resolution for the whole 360° (depending on overlap, etc).
                  <matthias.taugwalder@...>

                • Nick Crossland
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2006
                    When we were at an exhibition earlier in the year we were approached by 3
                    different companies that provide planetarium type 360° projection systems.
                    Apparently one of their main problems is that once they supply these
                    systems, it is hard to get content to show on them. Most of what they use is
                    computer generated as there is virtually noone creating high resolution
                    immersive video. They were interested in still images to a degree, but they
                    are not very interesting for an audience to watch!

                  • Anders Jiras
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3, 2006
                      Here is a Mac videomixer software with a new beta that sounds very
                      interesting for multi-projection.
                      http://www.garagecube.com/modul8/
                      Click on: GET READY FOR MODUL8 V2.5 ! - PREVIEW >>

                      One of the main new features of the V2.5 is its ability to do multi-
                      projection. Now that the PCI-Express is available on Mac, it is
                      possible to have as many as four graphic cards on a single G5
                      machine, each with a double VGA output. In other words, seven outputs
                      plus one are available for the user-interface (figure 01).
                      Of course, multi-projection becomes particularly interesting when
                      various areas of a composition are displayed in different outputs.
                      And this is precisely what Modul8 V2.5 can do.

                      Price 299 Euro for the Modul8 V2.0

                      Anders