Re: [PanoToolsNG] panosaurus and camera

  • Dinis Quelhas
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Pau,

      Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
      definitly buy it until i have other options (meaning
      more money :-)).

      I cannot buy new lenses because i have an old coolpix,
      very basic. I would like to buy a small digital
      camera while i don't have the money to get a proper
      slr (like the Canon EOS 350D). Do you have any advice
      for the small cameras?

      Thanks once again,

      Dinis

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • pau
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hello again,
        as you actually have the coolpix, I can recommend you to buy the fish-
        eye lens FC-E8 (info at: http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/
        accessory/converter/fc-e8/ )
        As you will see with this lens covering 183º you will need just 2, 3,
        4 or 6 images.
        With this lens, you will be able to use this bracket from bophoto:
        http://www.bophoto.com/bracket/index.html
        If you use this bracket you will not need the panoramic head.

        Any users of the coolpix and the FC-E8 /E9 lens and the bracket can
        give their opinion?
        I'm just talking without testing, so better ask!

        pau valiente
        www.pau.cc

      • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
          Hi Dinis

          you mentioned that you have a coolpix, which model? what lens, the E8?

          kind regards

          Rodrigo
        • Dinis Quelhas
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
            Hello again,

            unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
            compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
            I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it works.

            Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
            post the results as soon as i test it.

            Dinis

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
              On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:

              > Hello again,
              >
              > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
              > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
              > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it works.
              >
              > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
              > post the results as soon as i test it.

              You should be able to find a fisheye with a compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
              USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
              bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?

              You can make panos without a fisheye, and even without a very wide angle lens, but it
              takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
              used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The longer the focal length, the more
              resolution you will get in the end result, but it is a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
              for each pano...--
              bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
              Kristiansand, Norway
            • Dinis Quelhas
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                Hi Rodrigo,

                i have the Nikon Coolpx 2000.
                (http://www2.europe-nikon.com/uploads/ndk/EditorialContent/Archive/Coolpix_2000.jpg)
                I do not know the lenses.

                Thanks for your attention,

                Dinis

                --- Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock <alarcon@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi Dinis
                >
                > you mentioned that you have a coolpix, which model?
                > what lens, the E8?
                >
                > kind regards
                >
                > Rodrigo

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • stevenkan
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas <dquelhas@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Pau,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
                  > definitly buy it until i have other options (meaning
                  > more money :-)).

                  Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus that I wouldn't
                  mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black color). In my
                  opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of the extra pieces
                  and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.

                  It is too large to travel around with, though, and a bit cumbersome
                  to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can calibrate my NN
                  without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS, but I am wiser for
                  having owned the PS because I've been through the educational process.

                  I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise choice for a first
                  pano head for this reason.

                  So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a very-lightly-used
                  Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S. the shipping
                  costs would make this impractial.

                  p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this group? I tried to
                  pepper this post with opinions _about_ the Panosaurus :)
                • Dinis Quelhas
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Hi Steve,

                    i live in the UK. Thanks anyway. Besides, i have
                    already ordered the panosaurus.

                    Dinis

                    --- stevenkan <steven@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas
                    > <dquelhas@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Pau,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
                    > > definitly buy it until i have other options
                    > (meaning
                    > > more money :-)).
                    >
                    > Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus
                    > that I wouldn't
                    > mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black
                    > color). In my
                    > opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of
                    > the extra pieces
                    > and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.
                    >
                    > It is too large to travel around with, though, and a
                    > bit cumbersome
                    > to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can
                    > calibrate my NN
                    > without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS,
                    > but I am wiser for
                    > having owned the PS because I've been through the
                    > educational process.
                    >
                    > I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise
                    > choice for a first
                    > pano head for this reason.
                    >
                    > So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a
                    > very-lightly-used
                    > Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S.
                    > the shipping
                    > costs would make this impractial.
                    >
                    > p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this
                    > group? I tried to
                    > pepper this post with opinions _about_ the
                    > Panosaurus :)

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Dinis Quelhas
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                      Hi Bjørn,

                      i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                      little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                      waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                      some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                      it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                      panorama. Let's see how it works.
                      As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                      them.

                      Thanks,

                      Dinis

                      --- Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                      > On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hello again,
                      > >
                      > > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
                      > > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
                      > > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it
                      > works.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
                      > > post the results as soon as i test it.
                      >
                      > You should be able to find a fisheye with a
                      > compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
                      > USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and
                      > a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
                      > bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?
                      >
                      > You can make panos without a fisheye, and even
                      > without a very wide angle lens, but it
                      > takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I
                      > got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
                      > used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The
                      > longer the focal length, the more
                      > resolution you will get in the end result, but it is
                      > a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
                      > for each pano...--
                      > bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen
                      > http://bknilssen.no/
                      > Kristiansand, Norway

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • pau
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                        Whe are all waiting for your panosaurus to arrive and for you to do
                        your tests .... it will be suprising for sure!

                        pau valiente
                        www.pau.cc

                        El 06/09/2006, a las 12:28, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                        > Hi Bjørn,
                        >
                        > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                        > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                        > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                        > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                        > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                        > panorama. Let's see how it works.
                        > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                        > them.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Dinis

                      • stevenkan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                          wrote:

                          > Hi Bjørn,
                          >
                          > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                          > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                          > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                          > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                          > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                          > panorama. Let's see how it works.
                          > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                          > them.

                          You can actually start doing some preliminary work before you get
                          your panosaurus. For example, a positioning template will be very
                          helpful for troubleshooting your panos, especially if you're going to
                          have a large number of shots.

                          Here's what I did:

                          1) Created a new project in PTGui and imported one real photo from my
                          camera to get the EXIF and lens info into the project. Set the output
                          pano type to spherical with 360 x 180 FOV, etc.
                          2) In Photoshop, created a "dummy.jpg" with the same dimension that
                          was all white with a black border
                          3) Dragged that dummy.jpg into the project 36 times (I used 23 shots)
                          4) Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in the
                          roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                          This project will now show you how much overlap you'll have between
                          adjacent shots, how much nadir you'll need to patch, etc. And you can
                          experiment with different pitch angles and numbers of shots per
                          elevation before you go out and shoot for real.

                          Once you actually shoot, you'll then be able to drag your real shots
                          into a new project and then Apply Template to pre-position your
                          shots. The Panorama Editor will then show you a view that should look
                          almost like a stitched panorama. This makes it _much_ easier to see
                          if you have incorrect shots or incorrect order, etc. and also to see
                          if you have mismatched control points (e.g. between non-adjacent
                          images).

                          I did just such a template for a CoolPix 990 + WC-E63:

                          <http://www.kan.org/pano/template>

                          I found that managing 20+ images per pano without a template to be
                          very challenging.
                        • John Houghton
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "stevenkan" <steven@...> wrote:

                            > Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in
                            > the roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                            You can, of course, use the "Fill yaw..." button to enter the yaw
                            values of selected images automatically, and enter a pitch or roll
                            value into selected images also). This speeds things up considerably.

                            John
                          • Dinis Quelhas
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                              Hi Steven,

                              thanks for the tips, i will definitly try to replicate
                              what you explained about the template. I have never
                              thought of that and it seems to be a brilliant idea!

                              My panosaurus ended up arriving yesterday and i spent
                              a couple of hours testing it at night. The panosaurus
                              itself is a bit too basic, but for a starter like me
                              it doesn't look bad to learn, though for about 20 more
                              dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head wich seems to
                              be quite more precise.

                              But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                              the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                              tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                              way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                              My experiences from yesterday gave me a pretty good
                              notion about the paralax effects and how the absense
                              of it can make a very pleasent surprises.

                              I will now download the trial version of some
                              programs, and benchmark them with the photos i have
                              taken, with and without the nodal point set so i can
                              decide wich one to buy (i will post the results later
                              in a webpage).

                              I found that it was too much trouble to be taking 360
                              panoramas with a tripod and a old digital camera like
                              mine (coolpix 2000). I made something like 45-50
                              shots, and, as i mentioned before, since my tripod is
                              terrible, i got it very imprecise and looking funny.
                              So, can someone explain this ignorant what are the
                              differences between a hyperbolic mirror(?) and fisheye
                              lenses? If there is any difference, wich one is better
                              for the panos?

                              Thanks for all your support, this group is excellent!

                              Dinis

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • pau
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                                > though for about 20 more
                                > dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head

                                I don't think so:
                                Panosaurus is 75,95 dollars
                                Nodal Ninja is 199,95 dollars retail, now 159,95 special offer (plus
                                5 dollars international orders + S/H)

                                If the difference wa only 20 dollars much people would decided for
                                NN, but it costs the double +.

                                pau valiente
                                www.pau.cc

                              • pau
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  El 07/09/2006, a las 11:21, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                                  > But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                                  > the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                                  > tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                                  > way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                                  I did the same, after buying the panoramic head I found out my tripod
                                  was very unstable, so I went to buy a new one.
                                  After looking out I finished with two tripods in mind:
                                  Manfrotto 190 PRO
                                  Manfrotto 055 PRO

                                  and tripod head:
                                  ballhead 486RC2

                                  also for easy mounting and unmounting I got a quick release for the
                                  pano-head:
                                  quick-release plate 323

                                  this way it is a great and table setup.

                                  pau valiente
                                  www.pau.cc

                                • Dinis Quelhas
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                                    Ups, you are spot on. My mistake looking at the
                                    prices. Sorry Greg :)

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com