panosaurus and camera

  • Dinis Quelhas
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hello guys,

      like i said before, i'm the ultimate begginer and i
      need your help on aquiring gear.

      I was looking for some heads and i came up with this
      panosaurus head. Does anyone is worth it? My budget is
      quite low, about 100$ for the head.

      I also don't have a good machine, and i can't spend
      much more than 300$ in one. Can you guys advise me on
      a simple but effective camere within this budget?

      I also would like to know how to create 360 photos
      with VR, but i have no parabolic mirror or fish eye
      lenses.
      Can anyone tell me a good online tutorial on how to do
      this with a regular camera?

      Thanks in advance,

      Dinis

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • pau
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Dinis,
        I was in the same situation as you with the budget and heads, as I
        was starting out I went to the cheaper but the most versatile. Now
        that I have it and use it, I like it a lot, but some of the materials
        aren't what I thought initially. It is robust (I use a Canon EOS 350D
        and the peleng 8mm) but on windy days you have to hold it some. What
        I can say is that the support of Greg (the manufacturer) is
        impecable, until you have the proper solution to your setup he is
        there answering.
        Other option I thought about is the nodal ninja, it's price is
        higher, but the materials and features are superior oo (I think).

        Maybe you can put some money on a lens for your actual machine, the
        wider one you can get, this will results on less shots to do.
        Hope this helped. Keep us informed of your decission.

        pau valiente
        www.pau.cc

        El 01/09/2006, a las 12:23, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

        > Hello guys,
        >
        > like i said before, i'm the ultimate begginer and i
        > need your help on aquiring gear.
        >
        > I was looking for some heads and i came up with this
        > panosaurus head. Does anyone is worth it? My budget is
        > quite low, about 100$ for the head.
        >
        > I also don't have a good machine, and i can't spend
        > much more than 300$ in one. Can you guys advise me on
        > a simple but effective camere within this budget?
        >
        > I also would like to know how to create 360 photos
        > with VR, but i have no parabolic mirror or fish eye
        > lenses.
        > Can anyone tell me a good online tutorial on how to do
        > this with a regular camera?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Dinis

      • Dinis Quelhas
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
          Hi Pau,

          Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
          definitly buy it until i have other options (meaning
          more money :-)).

          I cannot buy new lenses because i have an old coolpix,
          very basic. I would like to buy a small digital
          camera while i don't have the money to get a proper
          slr (like the Canon EOS 350D). Do you have any advice
          for the small cameras?

          Thanks once again,

          Dinis

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • pau
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
            Hello again,
            as you actually have the coolpix, I can recommend you to buy the fish-
            eye lens FC-E8 (info at: http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/
            accessory/converter/fc-e8/ )
            As you will see with this lens covering 183º you will need just 2, 3,
            4 or 6 images.
            With this lens, you will be able to use this bracket from bophoto:
            http://www.bophoto.com/bracket/index.html
            If you use this bracket you will not need the panoramic head.

            Any users of the coolpix and the FC-E8 /E9 lens and the bracket can
            give their opinion?
            I'm just talking without testing, so better ask!

            pau valiente
            www.pau.cc

          • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
              Hi Dinis

              you mentioned that you have a coolpix, which model? what lens, the E8?

              kind regards

              Rodrigo
            • Dinis Quelhas
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                Hello again,

                unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
                compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
                I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it works.

                Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
                post the results as soon as i test it.

                Dinis

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Bjørn K Nilssen
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                  On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:

                  > Hello again,
                  >
                  > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
                  > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
                  > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it works.
                  >
                  > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
                  > post the results as soon as i test it.

                  You should be able to find a fisheye with a compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
                  USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
                  bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?

                  You can make panos without a fisheye, and even without a very wide angle lens, but it
                  takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
                  used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The longer the focal length, the more
                  resolution you will get in the end result, but it is a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
                  for each pano...--
                  bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
                  Kristiansand, Norway
                • Dinis Quelhas
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Hi Rodrigo,

                    i have the Nikon Coolpx 2000.
                    (http://www2.europe-nikon.com/uploads/ndk/EditorialContent/Archive/Coolpix_2000.jpg)
                    I do not know the lenses.

                    Thanks for your attention,

                    Dinis

                    --- Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock <alarcon@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi Dinis
                    >
                    > you mentioned that you have a coolpix, which model?
                    > what lens, the E8?
                    >
                    > kind regards
                    >
                    > Rodrigo

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • stevenkan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas <dquelhas@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hi Pau,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
                      > definitly buy it until i have other options (meaning
                      > more money :-)).

                      Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus that I wouldn't
                      mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black color). In my
                      opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of the extra pieces
                      and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.

                      It is too large to travel around with, though, and a bit cumbersome
                      to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can calibrate my NN
                      without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS, but I am wiser for
                      having owned the PS because I've been through the educational process.

                      I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise choice for a first
                      pano head for this reason.

                      So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a very-lightly-used
                      Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S. the shipping
                      costs would make this impractial.

                      p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this group? I tried to
                      pepper this post with opinions _about_ the Panosaurus :)
                    • Dinis Quelhas
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                        Hi Steve,

                        i live in the UK. Thanks anyway. Besides, i have
                        already ordered the panosaurus.

                        Dinis

                        --- stevenkan <steven@...> wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Dinis Quelhas
                        > <dquelhas@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Pau,
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the tip about the panosaurus, i will
                        > > definitly buy it until i have other options
                        > (meaning
                        > > more money :-)).
                        >
                        > Are you in the United States? I have a Panosaurus
                        > that I wouldn't
                        > mind selling. It's the 2nd-generation model (black
                        > color). In my
                        > opinion it's a terrific "learning" head because of
                        > the extra pieces
                        > and instructions that Greg provides for calibration.
                        >
                        > It is too large to travel around with, though, and a
                        > bit cumbersome
                        > to set up, which is why I bought a NodalNinja. I can
                        > calibrate my NN
                        > without all pieces that Greg provides for the PS,
                        > but I am wiser for
                        > having owned the PS because I've been through the
                        > educational process.
                        >
                        > I think the PS (whether new or used) is a wise
                        > choice for a first
                        > pano head for this reason.
                        >
                        > So if you're in the U.S. and interested in a
                        > very-lightly-used
                        > Panosaurus, let me know. If you're outside the U.S.
                        > the shipping
                        > costs would make this impractial.
                        >
                        > p.s. are For-sale, trade, etc. posts OT for this
                        > group? I tried to
                        > pepper this post with opinions _about_ the
                        > Panosaurus :)

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Dinis Quelhas
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                          Hi Bjørn,

                          i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                          little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                          waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                          some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                          it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                          panorama. Let's see how it works.
                          As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                          them.

                          Thanks,

                          Dinis

                          --- Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                          > On 1 Sep 2006 at 5:58, Dinis Quelhas wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hello again,
                          > >
                          > > unfortunatly, my coolpix is very old and not
                          > > compatible with the fish-eye you mentioned.
                          > > I will buy the panosaurus anyway and see how it
                          > works.
                          > >
                          > > Thank you very much for your attention, and i will
                          > > post the results as soon as i test it.
                          >
                          > You should be able to find a fisheye with a
                          > compatible Coolpix on eBay for around 300
                          > USD. I just found saw an EC8 for $100 (no bids) and
                          > a Coolpix 4500 for $200 (lots of
                          > bids.) Older Coolpixes seems to go for around $100?
                          >
                          > You can make panos without a fisheye, and even
                          > without a very wide angle lens, but it
                          > takes a lot of shots to make a full pano. Before I
                          > got a fisheye for my Olympus 7070 I
                          > used 18mm eqv, and that required 14-20 shots. The
                          > longer the focal length, the more
                          > resolution you will get in the end result, but it is
                          > a lot of work shooting 100+ photos
                          > for each pano...--
                          > bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen
                          > http://bknilssen.no/
                          > Kristiansand, Norway

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • pau
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                            Whe are all waiting for your panosaurus to arrive and for you to do
                            your tests .... it will be suprising for sure!

                            pau valiente
                            www.pau.cc

                            El 06/09/2006, a las 12:28, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                            > Hi Bjørn,
                            >
                            > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                            > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                            > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                            > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                            > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                            > panorama. Let's see how it works.
                            > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                            > them.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Dinis

                          • stevenkan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                              wrote:

                              > Hi Bjørn,
                              >
                              > i have been checking some tutorials and thinking a
                              > little bit on how to make this easier, so i'm just
                              > waiting for my panosaurus to arrive to start making
                              > some tests. Anyway, from what other fellows told me,
                              > it would take me at least 36 photos to make a 360
                              > panorama. Let's see how it works.
                              > As soon as i have obtained some results i will post
                              > them.

                              You can actually start doing some preliminary work before you get
                              your panosaurus. For example, a positioning template will be very
                              helpful for troubleshooting your panos, especially if you're going to
                              have a large number of shots.

                              Here's what I did:

                              1) Created a new project in PTGui and imported one real photo from my
                              camera to get the EXIF and lens info into the project. Set the output
                              pano type to spherical with 360 x 180 FOV, etc.
                              2) In Photoshop, created a "dummy.jpg" with the same dimension that
                              was all white with a black border
                              3) Dragged that dummy.jpg into the project 36 times (I used 23 shots)
                              4) Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in the
                              roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                              This project will now show you how much overlap you'll have between
                              adjacent shots, how much nadir you'll need to patch, etc. And you can
                              experiment with different pitch angles and numbers of shots per
                              elevation before you go out and shoot for real.

                              Once you actually shoot, you'll then be able to drag your real shots
                              into a new project and then Apply Template to pre-position your
                              shots. The Panorama Editor will then show you a view that should look
                              almost like a stitched panorama. This makes it _much_ easier to see
                              if you have incorrect shots or incorrect order, etc. and also to see
                              if you have mismatched control points (e.g. between non-adjacent
                              images).

                              I did just such a template for a CoolPix 990 + WC-E63:

                              <http://www.kan.org/pano/template>

                              I found that managing 20+ images per pano without a template to be
                              very challenging.
                            • John Houghton
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "stevenkan" <steven@...> wrote:

                                > Based on my intended shooting order, I then manually typed in
                                > the roll, pitch and yaw for each image.

                                You can, of course, use the "Fill yaw..." button to enter the yaw
                                values of selected images automatically, and enter a pitch or roll
                                value into selected images also). This speeds things up considerably.

                                John
                              • Dinis Quelhas
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  Hi Steven,

                                  thanks for the tips, i will definitly try to replicate
                                  what you explained about the template. I have never
                                  thought of that and it seems to be a brilliant idea!

                                  My panosaurus ended up arriving yesterday and i spent
                                  a couple of hours testing it at night. The panosaurus
                                  itself is a bit too basic, but for a starter like me
                                  it doesn't look bad to learn, though for about 20 more
                                  dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head wich seems to
                                  be quite more precise.

                                  But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                                  the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                                  tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                                  way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                                  My experiences from yesterday gave me a pretty good
                                  notion about the paralax effects and how the absense
                                  of it can make a very pleasent surprises.

                                  I will now download the trial version of some
                                  programs, and benchmark them with the photos i have
                                  taken, with and without the nodal point set so i can
                                  decide wich one to buy (i will post the results later
                                  in a webpage).

                                  I found that it was too much trouble to be taking 360
                                  panoramas with a tripod and a old digital camera like
                                  mine (coolpix 2000). I made something like 45-50
                                  shots, and, as i mentioned before, since my tripod is
                                  terrible, i got it very imprecise and looking funny.
                                  So, can someone explain this ignorant what are the
                                  differences between a hyperbolic mirror(?) and fisheye
                                  lenses? If there is any difference, wich one is better
                                  for the panos?

                                  Thanks for all your support, this group is excellent!

                                  Dinis

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • pau
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                                    > though for about 20 more
                                    > dollars i could've got the Ninja 3 head

                                    I don't think so:
                                    Panosaurus is 75,95 dollars
                                    Nodal Ninja is 199,95 dollars retail, now 159,95 special offer (plus
                                    5 dollars international orders + S/H)

                                    If the difference wa only 20 dollars much people would decided for
                                    NN, but it costs the double +.

                                    pau valiente
                                    www.pau.cc

                                  • pau
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                                      El 07/09/2006, a las 11:21, Dinis Quelhas escribió:

                                      > But i will tell you more about my experiencies with
                                      > the panosaurus later because i must have the worst
                                      > tipod in the world and i will buy a new one. By the
                                      > way, does anyone has a suggestion for a good tripod?

                                      I did the same, after buying the panoramic head I found out my tripod
                                      was very unstable, so I went to buy a new one.
                                      After looking out I finished with two tripods in mind:
                                      Manfrotto 190 PRO
                                      Manfrotto 055 PRO

                                      and tripod head:
                                      ballhead 486RC2

                                      also for easy mounting and unmounting I got a quick release for the
                                      pano-head:
                                      quick-release plate 323

                                      this way it is a great and table setup.

                                      pau valiente
                                      www.pau.cc

                                    • Dinis Quelhas
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                                        Ups, you are spot on. My mistake looking at the
                                        prices. Sorry Greg :)

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com