360-video from Katrina on MSNBC

  • Rick Drew
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
      Nice concept, but I find the FOV too narrow and the lack of distortion
      correction annoying. Plus their interface locked up two different
      computers.

      Rick

      ------------------------------------

      MSNBC has some impressive 360-video of Katrina devastation last
      November shot by
      Matt Uyttendaele.

    • jwatters@photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
        Rick Drew wrote:
        > Nice concept, but I find the FOV too narrow and the lack of distortion
        > correction annoying. Plus their interface locked up two different
        > computers.
        >

        > Rick

        The lack of perspective correction is annoying but unlike others pans
        that try to show very high vertical fov I find this tolerable. When the
        vertical fov is increased the horizontal and vertical fov on the viewing
        window is also increased. Then means what might seam like a slight
        change in viewing angle points you around 180 deg. I found those very
        difficult to navigate. On the other hand this one was much more
        intuitive. I am still looking for a viewer that can handle perspective
        correction and can show full spherical video.

        --
        Jim Watters

        Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • Matthias Taugwalder
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
          Take also a look at their making of page... see
          http://risingfromruin.msnbc.com/2005/11/you_write_the_c.html

          What I like is the interface they have to view the panoramic videos... Is
          Microsoft now finally seeing the $$$ in panoramic photography and video?

        • johnriley
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
            Is this in some Windows-only format? I click on your link,
            then
            on the link that says "360 video tour", then the pictures at
            the
            top rotate around to where it originally was and no video.
            Am I
            just being dense? I don't see anything resembling video.
            No
            warnings that I don't have a proper plugin, etc.

            John