Nikon 10,5mm with moving people

  • Martin Hrdlicka
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hello,
      I'd like to share my first attempt with 10,5mm lens among moving people.
      I made 10 pictures - 6portrait, 1zenith and three for nadir on my
      360precision.
      http://www.mh360.com

      I find that is not practical shooting with this lens between moving
      objects.
      There are two newest panos from Prague during very hot days (above 30
      degrees).
      Now it's raining and raining.... :-)

      Your comment is welcomed
      Martin
    • Matthias Taugwalder
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
        Nice panoramas...

        I assume you're using a Nikon digital camera. You might try this - if
        possible with your precision head. Point the lens down by -15° and you will
        get only a small hole in the ground which can easily patched afterwards...
        With this method you still have enough overlap for the zenith to stitch.

        Best regards from Switzerland,

        Matthias Taugwalder

        --
        Matthias Taugwalder
        matthias.taugwalder@...

      • Nicola Graverini
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
          Matthias Taugwalder ha scritto:
          > Nice panoramas...
          >
          > I assume you're using a Nikon digital camera. You might try this - if
          > possible with your precision head. Point the lens down by -15° and you will
          > get only a small hole in the ground which can easily patched afterwards...
          > With this method you still have enough overlap for the zenith to stitch.

          Doesn't the head cover more the Nadir this way???

          Ciao,
          Nicola
        • Nicola Graverini
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
            Martin Hrdlicka ha scritto:
            > Hello,
            > I'd like to share my first attempt with 10,5mm lens among moving people.
            > I made 10 pictures - 6portrait, 1zenith and three for nadir on my
            > 360precision.
            > http://www.mh360.com

            Well done, Martin!

            Ciao,
            Nicola
          • Martin Hrdlicka
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Matthias Taugwalder"
              <matthias.taugwalder@...> wrote:

              > Nice panoramas...

              Thank you

              > I assume you're using a Nikon digital camera. You might try this - if
              > possible with your precision head. Point the lens down by -15° and
              you will
              > get only a small hole in the ground which can easily patched
              afterwards...
              > With this method you still have enough overlap for the zenith to stitch.

              Yes,D70s but my 306precision head doesn't allow tilt down -15°.
              It will be possible with a new model 360precision - Adjuste.

              > Best regards from Switzerland,
              >
              > Matthias Taugwalder

              First week in October I come to Zurich.I hope I catch better weather
              then here.
              Best regards
              Martin
            • stevenkan
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Nicola Graverini <nicola@...> wrote:

                > Matthias Taugwalder ha scritto:
                > Point the lens down by -15° and you will
                > > get only a small hole in the ground which can easily patched
                afterwards...
                > > With this method you still have enough overlap for the zenith to
                stitch.

                > Doesn't the head cover more the Nadir this way???

                Yeah, I have this exact problem with my d70s + Nikkor 10.5mm. If I tilt
                it down any more than about 5° I just a lot of tripod or parts of my
                NodalNinja.

                I suppose this is a good excuse to go buy a new tripod :)
              • smarfingerfeulcher
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
                  RE people in the panorama...

                  One strategy that works tolerably is to assemble the pano as a layered
                  PS image then mask out the problems.

                  Not always perfect, but can really help....

                • Martin Hrdlicka
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Ooh, yes, I did it many times before I showed my attempts.

                    Without technique of Photoshop layered picture+ masking I wouldn't
                    even dare to share my panos.

                    Martin

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "smarfingerfeulcher" <rmlcd@...>
                    wrote:

                    > RE people in the panorama...
                    >
                    > One strategy that works tolerably is to assemble the pano as a layered
                    > PS image then mask out the problems.
                    >
                    > Not always perfect, but can really help....

                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
                      On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:30:29 +0900, Martin Hrdlicka
                      <martin.hrdlicka@...> wrote:

                      > I'd like to share my first attempt with 10,5mm lens among moving people.
                      > I made 10 pictures - 6portrait, 1zenith and three for nadir on my
                      > 360precision.
                      > http://www.mh360.com
                      >
                      > I find that is not practical shooting with this lens between moving
                      > objects.

                      Do you mean it is not practical because of the quality of the finished
                      panorama or because of the amount of effort it takes to create them?

                      I would say the panoramas work beautifully, and that most of the weirdness
                      has been limited to shadows, which many will not notice. There IS one
                      poor man who has had to sacrifice his right leg to your panorama.... But
                      the quality is quite beautiful (great lens, and you make the best of it).

                      But I can imagine how much work it is to clean up the anatominal bits
                      and pieces of people at the seams...

                      Roger W.

                      --
                      Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                    • Martin Hrdlicka
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
                        > Do you mean it is not practical because of the quality of the finished
                        > panorama or because of the amount of effort it takes to create them?

                        Both. First effort was to avoid people which were changing very close
                        to the guard and then to predict their movement. I stood there quite
                        long time a made a lot of photos. Second effort was to choose the best
                        pictures for stitching and then blending and blending the layers. I
                        tried to avoid them to come closer because of nadir shooting. This is
                        the problem.

                        That is why I wait for the new Sigma 8mm/f3,5 lens. It will be more
                        suitable for such kind of scene.

                        > I would say the panoramas work beautifully, and that most of the
                        weirdness
                        > has been limited to shadows, which many will not notice. There IS one
                        > poor man who has had to sacrifice his right leg to your panorama.... But
                        > the quality is quite beautiful (great lens, and you make the best of
                        it).

                        > But I can imagine how much work it is to clean up the anatominal bits
                        > and pieces of people at the seams...
                        >
                        > Roger W.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

                        I will keep shooting and improving myself.
                        Regards Martin