Fast Gigapixel Stitching on the Playstation 3

  • Helmut Dersch
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 7, 2008
      We are now at 22min for Bernhard Vogl's 345-image gigapixel-benchmark,
      almost a factor of 4 faster than the next in line, and another
      factor of two faster than the first prototype. This is not
      much more than the time required to read and write the images:
      warping & blending is almost done on-the-fly.

      You can now download and test a limited preview of the program
      for testing:
      <http://www.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTStitcherNG0.1a.tar.gz>.
      Read the documentation at
      <http://www.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/Readme.PTStitcherNG0.1a>.

      Regards

      Helmut Dersch
    • Daniel Reetz
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 16, 2008
        > About GPU processing, I heard some good time ago about GPUs being used
        > by softwares as 3dStudio or Maya in rendering process... anyone knows
        > about it?

        I use Maya every day -- in fact, I'm currently building a 3D model of
        my local downtown. "Maya Hardware" is an option I can select for a
        rendering engine. It is absolutely wicked fast for rendering some
        kinds of things, but not all things work with it. I've used it to
        render sprites at a very high speed for video effects.... but it's not
        capable of Global Illumination, or rendering every type of particle,
        etc. And it really helps to have a Quadro/workstation graphics card. I
        have a Quadro FX 1400 in a Dell Precision M70 laptop. It is a
        wonderful combination, absolutely rock-solid when it comes to
        rendering/modeling.

        Here's some weird stuff done with Maya Hardware:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wFV0OiunY but I generally use it for
        realistic scenes and models with photograph-sourced skins.

        Nothing would make me happier than a PS3 based Maya renderer -- it
        would be tremendous to have that power harnessed somehow.

        Best,
        Daniel Reetz