RE: [PanoToolsNG] (OT) Film Scanner

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3 9:29 AM
      I have a Minolta elite II. Works well with digital ice.. 5400 dpi. When used
      with silverfast, you might see quality from film you didn't think possible.

      Pro: no glass involved. And it focuses internally

      Cons:

      No batch feeder

      Sacha Griffin

      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      http://www.southern-digital.com

      http://www.seeit360.net

      404-551-4275

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3 11:28 AM
        On Monday, March 03, 2008 at 17:32, panokaemena@... wrote:

        > Has somebody any experience with the Nikon Coolscan V ED ??
        >
        > I am looking for a scanner able to scan slides and negatives

        I have a Coolscan IV ED (LS40) and like it but a V ED would certainly
        be better because of higher resolution. However, if you want to scan
        for panoramas, you probably need Vuescan as scanning app, since in
        NikonScan you can't control all relevant parameters. I'm pretty
        experienced with Vuescan, so don't hesitate to ask (off list) if
        you're decided for this combo.

        best regards
      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3 12:02 PM
          Willy,
          haow about this:
          http://www.docma.info/Dia-Duplikator.4450.0.html

          Ciao
          Mike
          http://www.360de.de

          -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
          Has somebody any experience with the Nikon Coolscan V ED ??

          I am looking for a scanner able to scan slides and negatives

          Willy Kaemena

          http://bremen.360cities.net/
          http://syria.360cities.net/
          http://lisbon.360cities.net/

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          08:18

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3 2:25 PM
            On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:02 PM, ptgroup <ptgroup@...> wrote:

            > Willy,
            > haow about this:
            > http://www.docma.info/Dia-Duplikator.4450.0.html

            Hello Mike
            I do have one exactly like this !
            BUT I found out, that was fast and easier shooting against a big white box,
            so I can reproduce medium and big format transparencies too.
            I already did some 5.000 35 mmm slides in NEF files, all color corrected
            with my D80 and a 60 micro lens, very sharp and perfect repro.

            It was faster, easier and cheaper than using my Nikon Coolscan, that I paied
            more than U$ 2.000 in the past :-)
            But I think Willy really wants a scanner.

            AYRTON

            > Ciao
            > Mike
            > http://www.360de.de

            ------------
            | A Y R |
            | T O N |
            ------------

            + 55 21 9982 6313

            http://ayrton360.com
            http://rio.360cities.net
            http://vrfolio.com
            http://ayrton.com

          • salino@canl.nc
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3 2:51 PM
              I do have a Nikon coolscan V and I a very happy of the qualities of this
              scanner. Dust removal is impressive.

              The only difficulty is the time to scan, and more if you use multipass...
              it's a kind of yoga

              you can produce 64 Mo pictures from a negative... and continue using old
              cameras and silver practice... HDR is not a problem, just a matter of
              easy settings

              If you want to improve nikon software - I find good- , you can also use
              vuescan, more complex.

              I think it could be a good deal on the second hand market, costs are very
              low. It seems very strong, a kind of hummer

              Dominique Salino
              New Caledonia
              The closest island to paradise

            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4 12:20 AM
                Willy, if your task is only 24x36 kleinbild, so look for a Minolta 5400,
                the latter, the better.

                panokaemena@... ha scritto:

                > Has somebody any experience with the Nikon Coolscan V ED ??
                >
                > I am looking for a scanner able to scan slides and negatives
                >
                > Willy Kaemena
                >
                > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
                > <http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html>
                > http://bremen.360cities.net/ <http://bremen.360cities.net/>
                > http://syria.360cities.net/ <http://syria.360cities.net/>
                > http://lisbon.360cities.net/ <http://lisbon.360cities.net/>

              • Carl von Einem
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4 1:46 AM
                  If Willy needs to scan a lot of slides and negatives the available
                  adaptors for the Super Coolscan 4000 and 5000 models might make the
                  difference: SF-210/SF-200 can batch scan mounted slides and the SA-30
                  is able to scan film rolls with up to 40 frames.
                  It might be worth looking into a used Super Coolscan LS-4000 and used
                  adapters.
                  If that scanner comes with SilverFast, ok. If not, I'd try Vuescan.

                  For slide scanning it makes sense to calibrate the scanner.

                  Carl

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4 4:21 AM
                    Hello Ayrton,
                    you need a good projector for this and you´ll have an offset or
                    mirrored image (if using a pojector screen from the back)

                    They advice to shoot into a whie, indirect illuminatet to preproduce situations.
                    But your workflow with a scanner might be mor economic and easier.

                    Ciao
                    Mike

                    http://www.360de.de

                  • AYRTON
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4 6:00 AM
                      On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:21 AM, ptgroup <ptgroup@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Ayrton,
                      > you need a good projector for this and you´ll have an offset or
                      > mirrored image (if using a pojector screen from the back)

                      Hey no need at all of a projector or nothing like that.
                      I just put the slide there and shoot against the window my friend.
                      I use RAW so the color temperature I adjust later on ACR.

                      I've done THOUSANDS already !
                      I have 55.000 slides in my files

                      Plus other thousands of medium and big format transparencies.

                      They advice to shoot into a whie, indirect illuminatet to preproduce
                      > situations.
                      > But your workflow with a scanner might be mor economic and easier.

                      Time is money !
                      A scanner is not more economic and not easier also.
                      What could be easier than just click a button on top of my camera :-)

                      AYRTON

                      > Ciao
                      > Mike
                      >
                      > http://www.360de.de