Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • listmail@mab3d.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
      On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
      > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
      > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
      >
      > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
      > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
      > with the
      > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
      > at the
      > mirror.

      Care to teach me the trick?

      > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

      No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
      Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
      with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
      levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
      legs.

      > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
      > that is a
      > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

      I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
      many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
      bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
      Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
      good old days" of Feisol?

      > John Riley ha scritto:

      >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
      >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
      >>> for
      >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
      >>> it for a very fair price.

      If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
      the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
      pieces.

      -Mark
    • Thomas Krueger
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
        After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
        integrated leveler.

        Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
        http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
      • Luca Vascon
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
          Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
          everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
          time...
          I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
          an hour to understand how it turns now.
          I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

          listmail@... ha scritto:

          > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >
          > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
          > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
          > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
          > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
          > >
          > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
          > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
          > > with the
          > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
          > > at the
          > > mirror.
          >
          > Care to teach me the trick?
          >
          > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
          >
          > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
          > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
          > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
          > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
          > legs.
          >
          > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
          > > that is a
          > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
          >
          > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
          > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
          > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
          > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
          > good old days" of Feisol?

          > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
          > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
          > pieces.
          >
          > -Mark

        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
            VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
            http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
            However, mine is more SNOB!
            :-DDDDDDDD

            Thomas Krueger ha scritto:

            > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
            > integrated leveler.
            >
            > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
            > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
            > <http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm>

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
              wrote:

              > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
              > integrated leveler.
              >
              > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
              > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

              Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
              Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
              geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
              leveling head.

              I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
              arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
              Here it is
              http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
              (without legs at the moment)
              Peter