AW: AW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.

  • ptgroup
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
      Keith,
      just as said before: just take a 60° roll and you CAN do with 6 shots
      without
      zenith & nadir problems (tripod not to count) .
      My tests came out bad on Canon and super on Nikon.
      (The reason is : I am out of NPP for ab . 6mm horizontal and ab. 4mm axial-
      this Canon does not forgive)
      Your play is little though and the overlap is not over the hole image sides
      as without 60° roll.
      If you do freehand or monopod -just take 4 - that gives you plenty of play.
      I had no need for a zenith- shot when pitched the system ab. 1 Nodal Ninja
      unit = 5 ° up.
      That worked fine even with Canon 1.6 crop.
      And with 4 shots you don´t use the "bad" areas of the lens.

      But honestly I must say that it was amazed of what came out with the Sunex -
      immediantely a perfect stitch
      with 3 shots. And plenty of overlap. The 2 shot test could be done- but
      that´s not what I was looking for.
      But I consider the 8mm to be a little better - has more information though.
      I would like to test the Sunex in practice - but where to do ???
      As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not to speak
      from the Hamburg area.
      You mentioned the easy setup - that speaks surely for the Sunex, the F 5.6
      is a little low- but your
      Fuji can easily raise a little ISO - did some yesterday with my 40D @ISO
      800 --> definately little noise
      and much more protected highlites. Should be close to the Fuji - NO Highlite
      Extension activated!!!
      This i do with my setup better I guess with lesser noise.
      May be we can convince someone to import Sunex :-) - then we´ll see.
      Ciao Mike
      http://www.360de.de

      BTW: Sigma is sold
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
        A really nice set of images - a pleasure to see and good examples of
        handling difficult lighting.

        A couple questions:

        Were all images bracketed?

        How many bracketed shots did you use per image?

        Did you use a table tripod in the cafe?

        Isn't the cafe where the "real" decisions get made? ;-)

        Regards,
        Ed

        Roberto Gomez Torres wrote:

        > Here I have some new panorama samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm fisheye
        > and
        > the Nikon D300. This time I made some tests with bracketing and the new
        > Enfuse program.
        >
        > Mainly I tried with some difficult and hard lighting situations.
        >
        > ------------------
        >
        > The fourth panorama shows the room where the politicians of "El Oro" take
        > the most important decisions for the town.
        > And finally the fifth one shows the interior of an old train wagon
        > converted
        > to a nice Café (coffee shop), at there me and my friends who were on the
        > camping trip.

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008

          > As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not to speak
          > from the Hamburg area.

          http://www.360tacticalvr.co.uk/

          But the price £562.50 ex Vat is higher than Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma 8mm not to talk about the
          Tokina 10-17mm which you can buy in UK for around £299.95 including Vat

          Ok I have to say that the Nikkor 10.5mm is just £354.95 at Amazon
          360 Tactical VR wants £450.00 ex Vat

          Hans
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
            >BTW: Sigma is sold

            I thought it would be. :-)

            Thanks for all the feedback, it is all very useful!

            Keith
          • panokaemena@mac.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
              Here some prices in Germany

              Tokina
              <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Tokina+10-17&s=0&a=&z=&x=20&y=5>
              from 477 Euros onwards

              Nikon 10.5
              <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Nikon+10.5&s=0&a=&z=&x=0&y=0>
              from 655 Euro onwards

              Sigma 8/3.5
              <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Sigma+8mm&s=0&a=&z=&x=34&y=3>
              from 641 Euros onwards

              Sigma 4.5
              <http://www.preistrend.de/Preisvergleich_Sigma_EX_-_Fischaugenobjektiv_-_4_5_mm_-_f_2_8_DC_HSM__x72497F0A017D77.html

              from 697 Euros onward

              Willy Kaemena

              http://bremen.360cities.net/
              http://syria.360cities.net/
              http://lisbon.360cities.net/

              On Mar 3, 2008, at 1:20, Hans Nyberg wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "ptgroup" <ptgroup@...> wrote:
              >
              > > As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not
              > to speak
              > > from the Hamburg area.
              >
              > http://www.360tacticalvr.co.uk/
              >
              > But the price £562.50 ex Vat is higher than Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma 8mm
              > not to talk about the
              > Tokina 10-17mm which you can buy in UK for around £299.95 including
              > Vat
              >
              > Ok I have to say that the Nikkor 10.5mm is just £354.95 at Amazon
              > 360 Tactical VR wants £450.00 ex Vat
              >
              > Hans

              Willy Kaemena

              http://bremen.360cities.net/
              http://syria.360cities.net/
              http://lisbon.360cities.net/

            • Roberto Gomez Torres
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                Hi Keith,

                Thanks a lot for taking the time to view my panoramas.
                I really appreciated that.

                >> They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult lighting.

                Enfuse is working great.

                >> Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
                >> sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
                >> isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
                >> *could* be.

                The final equirectangular file I got is on average 4,500 x 2,500 pixels.

                The lens will be very useful for quick photographic in crowded places like
                you point. Also on small areas were a table tripod can be practical since
                the setup can be fast and small.
                One area where I can see big benefits is using it for pole panoramas. On my
                next camping trip I will try to buy a nice pole and make some tests again
                with this Sigma 4.5mm.

                But for quality, resolution and sharpness I will continue to use my Nikon
                10.5mm.
                Each lens have it's pros and cons.

                >> It would be great to see a single original file

                Sure, no problem.
                At my web site I have uploaded a NEF file for you to play with (10.7 MB) :

                http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.nef

                Hope that helps.
                ======================
                Roberto Gómez Torres
                Tiempo Digital
                Mexico City, Mexico
                www.tiempo-digital.com
                ======================

                Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                Posted by: "Keith Martin" keith@... the1keith
                Sun Mar 2, 2008 4:07 am (PST)
                Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 11:08 +0100) Web-Connection GmbH said:

                >I think you have done a good selection to show hard light circumstances and
                >for my side the panoramas looks not to flat.

                They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult lighting.

                >What size do your panoramas measure at the end and could you show us one
                >original shot out the cam, I guess that would be very interesting for a few
                >of us?

                Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
                sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
                isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
                *could* be.
                I'm considering pitching for more access at more festivals to shoot
                panos, and a hand-held or monopod three or four-shot process sounds
                rather tempting for chaotic environments where my normal rig (tripod,
                360Precision & 10.5mm) is too crowd-unfriendly.
                It would be great to see a single original file and to know what your
                maximum pano size is with this lens and your D300.

              • Roberto Gomez Torres
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hi Tommy,

                  At the footer of all my panoramas I put the ISO setting and also the lens
                  aperture used.
                  When not using Bracketing also the time of the exposure.

                  For those tests I only used ISO 200 on the Nikon D300.

                  ======================
                  Roberto Gómez Torres
                  Tiempo Digital
                  Mexico City, Mexico
                  www.tiempo-digital.com
                  ======================

                  Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                  Posted by: "qsecofr88888" fatchai@... qsecofr88888

                  Sun Mar 2, 2008 5:43 am (PST)

                  nice pano. i also hope i can upgrade to d300 soon.
                  what iso did you use for your indoor pano?
                  cheers
                  tommy
                • Roberto Gomez Torres
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Hello Ed,

                    >> A really nice set of images - a pleasure to see
                    >> and good examples of handling difficult lighting.

                    Gracias amigo.

                    >> Were all images bracketed?
                    >> How many bracketed shots did you use per image?

                    Yes, all images were bracketed.

                    The Nikon D300 maximum EV step that it allows are increments of 1 EV.

                    So for the first two panoramas I used -4EV, -3EV, -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV,
                    +2EV, +3EV, +4EV (9 auto bracket images).
                    For the third one (outdoor) I used -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV (4 auto bracket
                    images).
                    For the fourth one I used -3EV, -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, +2EV, +3EV (7 auto
                    bracket images).
                    And for the fifth one I used -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, +2EV (5 auto bracket
                    image and hard instructions to my friends to not move).

                    >> Did you use a table tripod in the cafe?

                    Sure, I have a little Bogen Manfrotto table tripod that i like to use a lot.
                    Here you can find it :

                    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/171046-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3007KIT_3007_Tabletop_Tripod_Kit.html

                    >> Isn't the cafe where the "real" decisions get made? ;-)

                    You are right !

                    ======================
                    Roberto Gómez Torres
                    Tiempo Digital
                    Mexico City, Mexico
                    www.tiempo-digital.com
                    ======================

                    Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                    Posted by: "ebig_foto" ebig_foto@... ebig_foto
                    Sun Mar 2, 2008 2:26 pm (PST)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Roberto , is the sample file still there?? I get only an error message

                      Willy
                      On Mar 4, 2008, at 6:45, Roberto Gomez Torres wrote:

                      > >> It would be great to see a single original file
                      >
                      > Sure, no problem.
                      > At my web site I have uploaded a NEF file for you to play with (10.7
                      > MB) :
                      >
                      > http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.nef
                      >
                      > Hope that helps.
                      > ======================
                      > Roberto Gómez Torres
                      > Tiempo Digital
                      > Mexico City, Mexico
                      > www.tiempo-digital.com
                      > ======================

                      Willy Kaemena

                      http://bremen.360cities.net/
                      http://syria.360cities.net/
                      http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                    • Roberto Gomez Torres
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                        Hi Willy,

                        Maybe a ZIP file should be better.
                        Please try the following link instead:

                        http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.zip

                        Hope that works.
                        Roberto Gómez Torres
                        Tiempo Digital
                        Mexico City, Mexico
                        www.tiempo-digital.com

                        Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                        Posted by: "panokaemena@..." panokaemena@... panokaemena
                        Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:00 am (PST)