RE: [PanoToolsNG] open in new window size limit

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
      Fullscreen code is only annoying when you have your window the size you want
      it. You should never set your code to resize the screen or move to 0,0
      unless the window is too small to view a normal size.

      Unfortunately, nearly every site uses inconsiderate fullscreen code.

      When resize the screen, you can see the pixel dimensions.

      self.resizeTo(1280,768)

      You'd put that in the html page of the fullscreen page. Not in the opening
      function.

      Sacha Griffin

      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      http://www.southern-digital.com

      http://www.seeit360.net

      404-551-4275

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
        Sacha,

        I'm not quite sure what you are recommending. I would often want a
        panorama to be viewed in the largest format possible on someone's
        screen but not at a higher resolution in pixels than the original
        image.

        I am not competent with HTML (just copy a few lines now and then with
        minor modifications). Can you tell me how you would accomplish that
        (or aim me in the right direction).

        Thanks,

        Huck
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
        <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

        > Fullscreen code is only annoying when you have your window the size
        you want
        > it. You should never set your code to resize the screen or move to
        0,0
        > unless the window is too small to view a normal size.
        >
        > Unfortunately, nearly every site uses inconsiderate fullscreen
        code.

        > When resize the screen, you can see the pixel dimensions.
        >

        > self.resizeTo(1280,768)
        >

        > You'd put that in the html page of the fullscreen page. Not in the
        opening
        > function.
        >

        > Sacha Griffin
        >
        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        >
        > http://www.southern-digital.com
        >
        > http://www.seeit360.net
        >
        > 404-551-4275

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
          <script type="text/javascript">

          <!--

          function checksize() {

          if (navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins.length >0) {

          thiswidth = window.outerWidth;

          thisheight = window.outerHeight;

          }

          else {

          thiswidth = document.body.clientWidth + 36;

          thisheight = document.body.clientHeight + 36;

          }

          if (thiswidth < 800 || thisheight < 600) {

          window.resizeTo(window.screen.availWidth,window.screen.availHeight)

          }

          }

          // -->

          </script>

          Drop in this script before </head> preferably. It will not resize any
          maximized windows, which I and nearly everyone else finds annoying.

          On the last line you can change the width and height to whatever you want.

          Personally, I enjoy a good fullscreen 360 on a 27 inch lcd, fullscreen.

          Some monitors can not handle the sharpness anyway. Like an old crt.. So it
          should be viewed larger.

          I even enjoy it stretched across 2, which begs the question.. I thought I
          couldn't get past 120 degrees without it looking awful.

          On the other hand viewing 5000px or sometimes 6000px 360s hurts my eyes
          when viewed fullscreen. They look very blurry.

          Sacha Griffin

          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

          http://www.southern-digital.com

          http://www.seeit360.net

          404-551-4275

          I'm not quite sure what you are recommending. I would often want a
          panorama to be viewed in the largest format possible on someone's
          screen but not at a higher resolution in pixels than the original
          image.

          I am not competent with HTML (just copy a few lines now and then with
          minor modifications). Can you tell me how you would accomplish that
          (or aim me in the right direction).

          Thanks,

          Huck
          "Sacha Griffin"
          <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

          > Fullscreen code is only annoying when you have your window the size
          you want
          > it. You should never set your code to resize the screen or move to
          0,0
          > unless the window is too small to view a normal size.
          >
          > Unfortunately, nearly every site uses inconsiderate fullscreen
          code.

          > When resize the screen, you can see the pixel dimensions.
          >

          > self.resizeTo(1280,768)
          >

          > You'd put that in the html page of the fullscreen page. Not in the
          opening
          > function.
          >

          > Sacha Griffin
          >
          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          >
          > http://www.southern-digital.com
          >
          > http://www.seeit360.net
          >
          > 404-551-4275
          >

          > From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
          > I suppose many are aware of a method of opening a full screen
          panorama
          > in a new window, the panorama being embeded in the new page, e.g. in
          > the launch page
          >
          > <head>
          > <!--
          > function FullScreen(theURL)
          > {
          >
          > window.open
          (theURL,"_blank","menubar=0,toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,sc
          > rollbars=0,status=0,titlebar=0");
          > }
          > // -->
          > </head>
          >
          > Then the href...

          > I was wondering if there is an addition to this code that could
          > restrict the maximum size of the new window to a specific pixel
          > dimension, e.g. 1280 x 768 pixels, but still go fullscreen in a
          > smaller desktop?
          >
          > I know fullscreen new pages are annoying to some, with dual
          monitors,
          > or maybe I would just like to restrict the maximum size of a lower
          > quality panorama when viewed "Fullscreen" on a huge monitor.
          >
          > Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Bill

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
            Ok that was a function, which will do nothing unless you call it. I
            had mine called from a jquery onready thing.
            just remove function checksize() {
            and the last brace "}" to get it to work on a naked page.

            wrote:

            > <script type="text/javascript">
            >
            > <!--
            >
            > function checksize() {
            >
            > if (navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins.length >0) {
            >
            > thiswidth = window.outerWidth;
            >
            > thisheight = window.outerHeight;
            >

            > }
            >
            > else {
            >
            > thiswidth = document.body.clientWidth + 36;
            >
            > thisheight = document.body.clientHeight + 36;
            >

            > }
            >

            > if (thiswidth < 800 || thisheight < 600) {
            >
            > window.resizeTo(window.screen.availWidth,window.screen.availHeight)
            >
            > }
            >
            > }
            >
            > // -->
            >
            > </script>
            >

            > Drop in this script before </head> preferably. It will not resize any
            > maximized windows, which I and nearly everyone else finds annoying.
            >
            > On the last line you can change the width and height to whatever you
            want.

            > Personally, I enjoy a good fullscreen 360 on a 27 inch lcd,
            fullscreen.

            > Some monitors can not handle the sharpness anyway. Like an old crt..
            So it
            > should be viewed larger.
            >
            > I even enjoy it stretched across 2, which begs the question.. I
            thought I
            > couldn't get past 120 degrees without it looking awful.
            >
            > On the other hand viewing 5000px or sometimes 6000px 360s hurts my eyes
            > when viewed fullscreen. They look very blurry.
            >

            > Sacha Griffin
            >
            > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            >
            > http://www.southern-digital.com
            >
            > http://www.seeit360.net
            >
            > 404-551-4275

          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
              On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:06:05 +0900, Sacha Griffin
              <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

              (with lots of good stuff deleted)

              > Personally, I enjoy a good fullscreen 360 on a 27 inch lcd, fullscreen.
              >
              > Some monitors can not handle the sharpness anyway. Like an old crt.. So
              > it
              > should be viewed larger.
              >
              > I even enjoy it stretched across 2, which begs the question.. I thought I
              > couldn't get past 120 degrees without it looking awful.
              >
              > On the other hand viewing 5000px or sometimes 6000px 360s hurts my eyes
              > when viewed fullscreen. They look very blurry.

              Hi, Sacha. I hope I'm not hijacking this thread to add that a 32" HDTV
              screen with a PC input can give pretty impressive displays of panoramas
              provided you don't get any closer to the screen than you would to view
              digital HD TV programs on it... It's not like sitting in front of a
              display on your desktop, of course, when blurring is definitely an
              issue, but it is a pretty impressive experience compared with ordinary
              TV viewing. It almost makes me wish we had got a bigger screen than 32"
              (they already go up to 50" here in Japan, and even bigger if you have
              no budget constraints).

              Roger

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com