open in new window size limit

  • wardnet2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
      Hi all

      I suppose many are aware of a method of opening a full screen panorama
      in a new window, the panorama being embeded in the new page, e.g. in
      the launch page

      <head>
      <!--
      function FullScreen(theURL)
      {

      window.open(theURL,"_blank","menubar=0,toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,scrollbars=0,status=0,titlebar=0");
      }
      // -->
      </head>

      Then the href...

      I was wondering if there is an addition to this code that could
      restrict the maximum size of the new window to a specific pixel
      dimension, e.g. 1280 x 768 pixels, but still go fullscreen in a
      smaller desktop?

      I know fullscreen new pages are annoying to some, with dual monitors,
      or maybe I would just like to restrict the maximum size of a lower
      quality panorama when viewed "Fullscreen" on a huge monitor.

      Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

      Bill
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
        Fullscreen code is only annoying when you have your window the size you want
        it. You should never set your code to resize the screen or move to 0,0
        unless the window is too small to view a normal size.

        Unfortunately, nearly every site uses inconsiderate fullscreen code.

        When resize the screen, you can see the pixel dimensions.

        self.resizeTo(1280,768)

        You'd put that in the html page of the fullscreen page. Not in the opening
        function.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
          Sacha,

          I'm not quite sure what you are recommending. I would often want a
          panorama to be viewed in the largest format possible on someone's
          screen but not at a higher resolution in pixels than the original
          image.

          I am not competent with HTML (just copy a few lines now and then with
          minor modifications). Can you tell me how you would accomplish that
          (or aim me in the right direction).

          Thanks,

          Huck
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
          <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

          > Fullscreen code is only annoying when you have your window the size
          you want
          > it. You should never set your code to resize the screen or move to
          0,0
          > unless the window is too small to view a normal size.
          >
          > Unfortunately, nearly every site uses inconsiderate fullscreen
          code.

          > When resize the screen, you can see the pixel dimensions.
          >

          > self.resizeTo(1280,768)
          >

          > You'd put that in the html page of the fullscreen page. Not in the
          opening
          > function.
          >

          > Sacha Griffin
          >
          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          >
          > http://www.southern-digital.com
          >
          > http://www.seeit360.net
          >
          > 404-551-4275

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
            <script type="text/javascript">

            <!--

            function checksize() {

            if (navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins.length >0) {

            thiswidth = window.outerWidth;

            thisheight = window.outerHeight;

            }

            else {

            thiswidth = document.body.clientWidth + 36;

            thisheight = document.body.clientHeight + 36;

            }

            if (thiswidth < 800 || thisheight < 600) {

            window.resizeTo(window.screen.availWidth,window.screen.availHeight)

            }

            }

            // -->

            </script>

            Drop in this script before </head> preferably. It will not resize any
            maximized windows, which I and nearly everyone else finds annoying.

            On the last line you can change the width and height to whatever you want.

            Personally, I enjoy a good fullscreen 360 on a 27 inch lcd, fullscreen.

            Some monitors can not handle the sharpness anyway. Like an old crt.. So it
            should be viewed larger.

            I even enjoy it stretched across 2, which begs the question.. I thought I
            couldn't get past 120 degrees without it looking awful.

            On the other hand viewing 5000px or sometimes 6000px 360s hurts my eyes
            when viewed fullscreen. They look very blurry.

            Sacha Griffin

            Southern Digital Solutions LLC

            http://www.southern-digital.com

            http://www.seeit360.net

            404-551-4275

            I'm not quite sure what you are recommending. I would often want a
            panorama to be viewed in the largest format possible on someone's
            screen but not at a higher resolution in pixels than the original
            image.

            I am not competent with HTML (just copy a few lines now and then with
            minor modifications). Can you tell me how you would accomplish that
            (or aim me in the right direction).

            Thanks,

            Huck
            "Sacha Griffin"
            <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

            > Fullscreen code is only annoying when you have your window the size
            you want
            > it. You should never set your code to resize the screen or move to
            0,0
            > unless the window is too small to view a normal size.
            >
            > Unfortunately, nearly every site uses inconsiderate fullscreen
            code.

            > When resize the screen, you can see the pixel dimensions.
            >

            > self.resizeTo(1280,768)
            >

            > You'd put that in the html page of the fullscreen page. Not in the
            opening
            > function.
            >

            > Sacha Griffin
            >
            > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            >
            > http://www.southern-digital.com
            >
            > http://www.seeit360.net
            >
            > 404-551-4275
            >

            > From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
            > I suppose many are aware of a method of opening a full screen
            panorama
            > in a new window, the panorama being embeded in the new page, e.g. in
            > the launch page
            >
            > <head>
            > <!--
            > function FullScreen(theURL)
            > {
            >
            > window.open
            (theURL,"_blank","menubar=0,toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,sc
            > rollbars=0,status=0,titlebar=0");
            > }
            > // -->
            > </head>
            >
            > Then the href...

            > I was wondering if there is an addition to this code that could
            > restrict the maximum size of the new window to a specific pixel
            > dimension, e.g. 1280 x 768 pixels, but still go fullscreen in a
            > smaller desktop?
            >
            > I know fullscreen new pages are annoying to some, with dual
            monitors,
            > or maybe I would just like to restrict the maximum size of a lower
            > quality panorama when viewed "Fullscreen" on a huge monitor.
            >
            > Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
            >
            > Bill

          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
              Ok that was a function, which will do nothing unless you call it. I
              had mine called from a jquery onready thing.
              just remove function checksize() {
              and the last brace "}" to get it to work on a naked page.

              wrote:

              > <script type="text/javascript">
              >
              > <!--
              >
              > function checksize() {
              >
              > if (navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins.length >0) {
              >
              > thiswidth = window.outerWidth;
              >
              > thisheight = window.outerHeight;
              >

              > }
              >
              > else {
              >
              > thiswidth = document.body.clientWidth + 36;
              >
              > thisheight = document.body.clientHeight + 36;
              >

              > }
              >

              > if (thiswidth < 800 || thisheight < 600) {
              >
              > window.resizeTo(window.screen.availWidth,window.screen.availHeight)
              >
              > }
              >
              > }
              >
              > // -->
              >
              > </script>
              >

              > Drop in this script before </head> preferably. It will not resize any
              > maximized windows, which I and nearly everyone else finds annoying.
              >
              > On the last line you can change the width and height to whatever you
              want.

              > Personally, I enjoy a good fullscreen 360 on a 27 inch lcd,
              fullscreen.

              > Some monitors can not handle the sharpness anyway. Like an old crt..
              So it
              > should be viewed larger.
              >
              > I even enjoy it stretched across 2, which begs the question.. I
              thought I
              > couldn't get past 120 degrees without it looking awful.
              >
              > On the other hand viewing 5000px or sometimes 6000px 360s hurts my eyes
              > when viewed fullscreen. They look very blurry.
              >

              > Sacha Griffin
              >
              > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
              >
              > http://www.southern-digital.com
              >
              > http://www.seeit360.net
              >
              > 404-551-4275

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
                On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:06:05 +0900, Sacha Griffin
                <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                (with lots of good stuff deleted)

                > Personally, I enjoy a good fullscreen 360 on a 27 inch lcd, fullscreen.
                >
                > Some monitors can not handle the sharpness anyway. Like an old crt.. So
                > it
                > should be viewed larger.
                >
                > I even enjoy it stretched across 2, which begs the question.. I thought I
                > couldn't get past 120 degrees without it looking awful.
                >
                > On the other hand viewing 5000px or sometimes 6000px 360s hurts my eyes
                > when viewed fullscreen. They look very blurry.

                Hi, Sacha. I hope I'm not hijacking this thread to add that a 32" HDTV
                screen with a PC input can give pretty impressive displays of panoramas
                provided you don't get any closer to the screen than you would to view
                digital HD TV programs on it... It's not like sitting in front of a
                display on your desktop, of course, when blurring is definitely an
                issue, but it is a pretty impressive experience compared with ordinary
                TV viewing. It almost makes me wish we had got a bigger screen than 32"
                (they already go up to 50" here in Japan, and even bigger if you have
                no budget constraints).

                Roger

                --
                Work: www.adex-japan.com