Computer specifications for the ignorant...

  • Mathew Hargreaves
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      I am ready to buy a new computer. However, the vast number of types
      with the different equipment specifications, leave me lost for the final
      decision.
      Several threads have talked about different computer systems, BUT,
      what looks to be a good minimum working system, either in PC or Mac, for
      doing photo stitching.
      My current system is a 20 gig, Pentium 2, 500mgz, Windows PC. I
      have a portable 300 gig drive for storage and figure this to be the
      minimum for they new computer, so I can defrag the portable drive. Alas,
      I can only stitch up to 4 photos due to the 1.08 gig file size limit. I
      have some that are 5 to 9 photos wide and want to be able to do them.
      What I am currently doing is so I can print them for wall display. I
      usually shoot only in RAW. My current stitching method is 8 bit tiff
      outputs that are stitched either as a finished tiff or blended layers to
      correct for moving objects, before flattening and other image
      correcting. So I am using only ptgui 6.3. I downloaded one of the newer
      versions last october but it would not setup and run.
      Due to the computer and past money supply limitations, I was forced
      to keep using the original softwares that came with the Canon 300D
      Rebel. Despite its limitations I have managed to get some good images
      via hand held shots.
      The monitor I am using is a Mitubishi Diamond Pro87TXM. This was
      considered one of the best CRT units for photo work. Though it lacks the
      detail that a high definition screen can deliver. Upgrading is a
      possibility, but I feel actually calibrating it through software, after
      I get a new box, is the better first option.
      I am not doing VR stuff. I just want to get vastly better software
      tools and a workable machine to keep learning, and actually doing
      better.
      So, are their any off the shelf types with good reliability and
      workable specs? or should I consider having one built? If yes, what are
      good equipment specs?
      With so many software options around, has this group ever done a
      concensus review of them as a basic reference for people?

      I am in awe of what others are creating here but I want to be able
      to do better myself. I would like to meet others stitchers in the
      Seattle region.

      CHEERS...from Sunny Seattle...Mathew
    • panokaemena@mac.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
        Well, you are near Seattle that might explain your love for WIN....
        otherwise I would say ANY current Mac would do it. ;-)

        Willy Kaemena

        http://bremen.360cities.net/
        http://syria.360cities.net/
        http://lisbon.360cities.net/