Re: [PanoToolsNG] Sunex 5.6mm Fisheye Review

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
      Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 15:25 -0300) Marcelo Versiani said:

      >Ken Rockwell has just published a nice review of the Sunex 5.6mm. It's at
      >
      ><http://www.kenrockwell.com/sunex/super-fisheye.htm>http://www.kenrockwell.com/sunex/super-fisheye.htm

      Thanks for point thing out. It was an interesting read. Partly
      because that points another possible direction to go for my
      crown-scene pano plans, but also because he makes some rather
      peculiar comparisons and statements in that article!

      For example, he said:
      "I don't know about you, but I've never had enough patience to want
      to screw with other third-party pan heads."
      I found this statement somewhat odd for someone that seems to be
      interested in panorama shooting.

      It also seemed a little odd to keep banging on and on all through the
      article about how it compares to the "huge classic Nikon 8mm f/2.8
      circular fisheye", which is "no longer made and sells used for about
      $2,000". So he got to play with a legendary lens. Fine - but using it
      for comparisons tells me nothing!

      And what's the beef about the fact that the Sunex lenses "are
      designed right here in California"? Production xenophobia, perhaps?

      I'd also appreciate some clarification about what he meant by the
      'Exorcist-style 360s' through rotating too much. I really don't get
      what he means.

      What are the pixel dimensions of the image circle on the cameras he
      tested? Where are some full-res example images?

      Still, I'm rather interested in the Sunex lens. But f5.6 might not be
      bright enough. Hmm...

    • Louis Weyl
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
        Keith,

        Ever seen the movie "the Exorcist"? In this movie a person turns her
        head 360 degrees.... You do it and you you see you cannot. Some one
        else doing it to you..... mmmmmmm Not funny.

        In other words, don't read to much into the comparison Ken made.

        --
        Louis B. Weyl
      • Marlon Moyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2008
          On Mar 2, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Keith Martin wrote:

          > I'd also appreciate some clarification about what he meant by the
          > 'Exorcist-style 360s' through rotating too much. I really don't get
          > what he means.

          On my D80 with my Peleng, if you press the lens release button, you
          can spin the lens 360 degrees around and around. Other lenses of mine
          limit how far they can spin.

          I'm assuming that's what he means. It can be a pain sometimes,
          especially if you're in front of the camera and spin it the wrong
          way. Then you've got to slowly spin it until you find the correct
          position to release.