Sunex 5.6mm Fisheye Review

  • Marcelo Versiani
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 10:25 AM
      Ken Rockwell has just published a nice review of the Sunex 5.6mm. It's at

      http://www.kenrockwell.com/sunex/super-fisheye.htm

      Abraços,

      Marcelo Versiani.

      www.largo.com.br

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 10:59 AM
        Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 15:25 -0300) Marcelo Versiani said:

        >Ken Rockwell has just published a nice review of the Sunex 5.6mm. It's at
        >
        ><http://www.kenrockwell.com/sunex/super-fisheye.htm>http://www.kenrockwell.com/sunex/super-fisheye.htm

        Thanks for point thing out. It was an interesting read. Partly
        because that points another possible direction to go for my
        crown-scene pano plans, but also because he makes some rather
        peculiar comparisons and statements in that article!

        For example, he said:
        "I don't know about you, but I've never had enough patience to want
        to screw with other third-party pan heads."
        I found this statement somewhat odd for someone that seems to be
        interested in panorama shooting.

        It also seemed a little odd to keep banging on and on all through the
        article about how it compares to the "huge classic Nikon 8mm f/2.8
        circular fisheye", which is "no longer made and sells used for about
        $2,000". So he got to play with a legendary lens. Fine - but using it
        for comparisons tells me nothing!

        And what's the beef about the fact that the Sunex lenses "are
        designed right here in California"? Production xenophobia, perhaps?

        I'd also appreciate some clarification about what he meant by the
        'Exorcist-style 360s' through rotating too much. I really don't get
        what he means.

        What are the pixel dimensions of the image circle on the cameras he
        tested? Where are some full-res example images?

        Still, I'm rather interested in the Sunex lens. But f5.6 might not be
        bright enough. Hmm...

      • Louis Weyl
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 10:08 PM
          Keith,

          Ever seen the movie "the Exorcist"? In this movie a person turns her
          head 360 degrees.... You do it and you you see you cannot. Some one
          else doing it to you..... mmmmmmm Not funny.

          In other words, don't read to much into the comparison Ken made.

          --
          Louis B. Weyl
        • Marlon Moyer
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3 8:52 AM
            On Mar 2, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Keith Martin wrote:

            > I'd also appreciate some clarification about what he meant by the
            > 'Exorcist-style 360s' through rotating too much. I really don't get
            > what he means.

            On my D80 with my Peleng, if you press the lens release button, you
            can spin the lens 360 degrees around and around. Other lenses of mine
            limit how far they can spin.

            I'm assuming that's what he means. It can be a pain sometimes,
            especially if you're in front of the camera and spin it the wrong
            way. Then you've got to slowly spin it until you find the correct
            position to release.