Timelapse panorama

  • dr_valent
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
      Hi all!
      It have been long I didn't read the list because the large amount of emails and the little
      time I have.
      I've been reading that in the last year lots of people where interested in the timelapse
      panorama and the video panorama possibilities. Also I'm very interested as I work on the
      audiovisual world, I do cultural audiovisuals for museums and expositions.

      I would like to explain you the project I'm immersed in actually and how I'm doing it,
      maybe you can tell me any advice on the workflow.
      The project is for a temporal exposition about Andalusia, a part of Spain. On a part of the
      exposition will be two half circles covering the 360 vision around the spectator where we
      will project (with eight video projectors) a timelapse panorama of the whole day in three
      places.
      The technical part:
      3 locations (3 days of shooting)
      Canon 350D, 10-22mm lens using 10mm
      Photos each 60 degree, with the panosaurus head (not in a fix place each photo) 6 photos
      each round
      (manual focus, manual exposition, shooting in RAW, auto white balance)
      Photos each 5 minutes from 7:30 to 20:00
      Photos per day: 700-1000

      I import all of them on Lightroom, I stack each round and color correct each first photo of
      each round.
      Once I have every first photo corrected, I sync the color of the first photo of the round to
      the other 5.
      Then I export to jpeg and import ALL to ptgui.
      When all are loaded (takes lots of time) I click on align and the app start thinking.
      After it have searched the control points it gives me a good result depending on the place
      at a general view, but when you look close-up the stitching errors are big enough to not
      be able to use it in video directly.
      The two things I would improve on ptgui would be:
      1- to be able to look for points between consecutive images only, because actually it looks
      for points all arround and very little times are located on consecutive images. (I'm running
      a test on lowering the points between each pair images and higering considerably the
      amount of points in the whole project)
      2- to be able to limit the zone where ptgui looks for points, for example 10 or 20 degrees
      arround the horizon would be great. Like that I would be able to avoid some problematic
      zones.

      Then with all the results I will have to make a postproduction work to make fades between
      them, and to expand the images to one frame per second.
      Also over the panorama will appear a sketchbook with drawings of animals and trees, and
      a voice will act as a naturist observing the landscape.
      If you want to see the storyboard:
      http://www.mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PROYECTO_EJECUTIVO-
      carpa1.pdf

      One of the places with some stitching errors:
      http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/aracena_todo_w.mov

      And some tests:
      http://www.mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/pruebas/timelapse_panorama_w.
      mov
      http://www.mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/pruebas/pano_tarde_w.mov

      I hope you like it and enjoy the theme.
      I would greatly appreciate any advice as I'm not getting the good results I hoped.
      Thanks a lot!

      pau valiente
      www.pau.cc
    • Rick Drew
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
        Can’t you optimize it in batches – do the left ¼, middle ¼ and so on, then
        stitch the sections as a new project? I’ve done that in the past with great
        results. I had a 300 image pano and created 8 sections, then stitched those
        together.

        Just an idea.

        Rick

      • pau valiente
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          Hi again,
          I don't know if my first message went correctly to the group, if not it is below my relpy.
          I'm getting more problems than expected, there are lots of seams between the images and
          I'm getting crazy on the optimize process....
          Also the size of the project doesn't make things easier, as each time I open the project
          with 900 images it last an hour and a half loading the images.
          Here it is a movie of the last result without postproduction:
          http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PANOS/aracena_nuevo.mov (23.4 MB)
          http://tinyurl.com/3cxsrh

          and here the result with postproduction and color correction (the sketchbook and
          drawings aren't there yet):
          http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PANOS/aracena_post.mov (20.0 MB)
          http://tinyurl.com/35kavz

          I have improved the results by reducing to the half the size of the original images like that
          the control point generator doesn't miss with small details....

          Thanks for reading,

          pau valiente
          www.pau.cc

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dr_valent" <todo@...> wrote:

> [...]
          between
          > them, and to expand the images to one frame per second.
          > Also over the panorama will appear a sketchbook with drawings of animals and trees,
          and
          > a voice will act as a naturist observing the landscape.
          > If you want to see the storyboard:
          > http://www.mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PROYECTO_EJECUTIVO-
          > carpa1.pdf
          >
          > One of the places with some stitching errors:
          > http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/aracena_todo_w.mov
          >
          > And some tests:

          http://www.mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/pruebas/timelapse_panorama_w.
          > mov
          > http://www.mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/pruebas/pano_tarde_w.mov
          >
          > I hope you like it and enjoy the theme.
          > I would greatly appreciate any advice as I'm not getting the good results I hoped.

        • Fulvio Senore
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
            I looked at your postproduction file and I liked it a lot. It is a
            fascinating video and I am interested in similar works.
            Anyway I found two problems:
            - files are too large and take forever to download. I suspect that
            really few people had the patience to wait so much.-
            - the image is too wide to fit in my screen (1280x1024) so I can only
            see the central part and I cannot control the movie.

            Surely handling the whole project is a very heavy task for ptgui. I am
            working at a similar (but smaller) work: a single photo taken handheld
            almost every day from the same location.
            Letting ptgui create control points among all the photos is makes the
            program run too slow, so I create control points between two consecutive
            photos only. Then I sometimes add control points between a photo and the
            first one, just to avoid a progressive shift in the photo positions.
            In this way I can also load only a limited number of images: I only need
            to always load the very first one for control points creation. So I can
            load the first image and all the images taken in a month, optimize and
            save them. Then I can load the same first image and the following month
            images, optimize and save them being sure that they will match.

            Maybe you can work in a similar way: create control points among the
            images of the same pano and those of the previous one only, then
            sometimes create control points among a pano and the first one. Load
            only some images at a time, to save time.

            I suspect that you will have to review the control points created by
            ptgui looking for wrong ones, mainly in the near field.

            Good luck!

            Fulvio Senore

            pau valiente ha scritto:
            > Hi again,
            > I don't know if my first message went correctly to the group, if not it is below my relpy.
            > I'm getting more problems than expected, there are lots of seams between the images and
            > I'm getting crazy on the optimize process....
            > Also the size of the project doesn't make things easier, as each time I open the project
            > with 900 images it last an hour and a half loading the images.
            > Here it is a movie of the last result without postproduction:
            > http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PANOS/aracena_nuevo.mov (23.4 MB)
            > http://tinyurl.com/3cxsrh
            >
            > and here the result with postproduction and color correction (the sketchbook and
            > drawings aren't there yet):
            > http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PANOS/aracena_post.mov (20.0 MB)
            > http://tinyurl.com/35kavz
            >
            > I have improved the results by reducing to the half the size of the original images like that
            > the control point generator doesn't miss with small details....
            >
            > Thanks for reading,
            >
            > pau valiente
            > www.pau.cc

          • pau.cc
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
              Hi Rick and Fluvio,
              thanks for your ideas, i'll review them tomorrow and hope they can help.
              That second render is a project where I made ptgui look for points in
              each pair, a very mechanical work!
              Fluvio, I recommend you to download the movie and open it in quicktime
              player. Understand that is a cylindrical movie that will be divided in
              eight video projectors.
              Thanks again.

              pau valiente
              www.pau.cc

            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                Stabilizing long series of fisheye shots or panoramas is best done
                with dedicated tracking software ... like the free Voodoo tracker
                http://www.digilab.uni-hannover.de/docs/manual.html . These will
                export a 3d camera track (or a rotation record for mostly static
                cameras) plus a cloud of 3d tracked points. These latter are not
                needed for stabilizing purposes. These programs wont accept fisheye
                shots generally but you can rectilinearise or extract proxy
                rectilinear versions of your footage/panoramas, track that, export
                that track, then stabilise the fisheye shots (or mapped
                equirectangular versions) in a 3d program. eg. open the track in the
                3d program, create a sphere around the camera, map the equi image
                sequence to the sphere, make the sphere the child of the camera,
                clone the camera, smooth the curves of the cloned camera in the curve
                editor, render the stabilised footage with the cloned, smoothed
                camera ... sounds a pain but quicker in the long run I think than
                wrestling with PTGui etc with super long sequences. ...

                this is all to do with stabilising shots and panos not with your
                stitching problems ... you need to have the cameras very high away
                from things with DSLR camera arrays otherwise the parallax issues are
                severe

                Peter

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pau.cc" <todo@...> wrote:

> [...]
                each
                > >> time I open the project
                > >> with 900 images it last an hour and a half loading the images.
                > >> Here it is a movie of the last result without postproduction:
                > >> http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PANOS/
                > >> aracena_nuevo.mov (23.4 MB)
                > >> http://tinyurl.com/3cxsrh
                > >>
                > >> and here the result with postproduction and color correction
                (the
                > >> sketchbook and
                > >> drawings aren't there yet):

                http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PANOS/aracena_post.mov
                > >> (20.0 MB)
                > >> http://tinyurl.com/35kavz
                > >>
                > >> I have improved the results by reducing to the half the size of
                the
                > >> original images like that
                > >> the control point generator doesn't miss with small details....

              • jeffreycb2000
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                  I like the time lapse panorama as well - well done.
                  For what it is worth as an idea - A number of years ago I had access to a construction site
                  security camera (with poor resolution) in Brisbane that's sole job was to capture a 9 segment
                  scene every half hour 24 hours a day over 3 and a half years.
                  At the time I experienced major problems with the differing exposures in the same series
                  caused by the auto exposure function of the camera. Compounded by maintenance
                  personnel knocking, tilting the camera down to the ground for 1 month and cleaning meant
                  the images jumped around. In the end the shear number of images and their alignment was
                  too much (using one panorama everyday for one movie and a full 48 hour series for another)
                  so I ended up using the quicktime pro image sequence function. I was able to sort the
                  images by position sequence to create 9 time lapse movies and then combine all 9 videos in
                  QTPro to arrange their positions into a photographic joiner style.
                  Great fun experimenting and what is of particular interest (and a surprise) was the product is
                  engaging as it makes all those little things of annoyance while stitching into an intentional
                  and important part of the movies character.
                  All the best and look forward to seeing your final product posting.
                  Jeffrey
                • pau.cc
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                    Rick, I don't understand the optimize in batches. You mean to divide
                    the whole panorama in four parts by number of photographs and then
                    optimize just by quarters? So if I have 1000 photos, optimize from
                    1-250, then 250-500, etc ...?
                    So then the process you propose is to do a big project and uncheck
                    the images in the optimize tab or to divide the whole panorama in
                    four projects? If its the last option, would be the results of
                    diferent projectys stitch correctly toghether?
                    Thanks!

                    pau valiente
                    www.pau.cc

                    El 05/03/2008, a las 23:12, Rick Drew escribi�:

                    > Can�t you optimize it in batches � do the left �, middle � and so
                    > on, then
                    > stitch the sections as a new project? I�ve done that in the past
                    > with great
                    > results. I had a 300 image pano and created 8 sections, then
                    > stitched those
                    > together.
                    >

                    > Just an idea.
                    >

                    > Rick

                  • pau valiente
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                      Peter, thanks a lot for the link, I just knew of the motion tracking
                      software "Boujou", is like the one you point but comercial. I'll
                      check it when I have some free time, thanks!

                      pau valiente
                      www.pau.cc

                    • pau valiente
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                        Hi Jeffrey,
                        the final image in your project was a compo with hard edges then?
                        Hockney style? But I don't imagine how could you compose the nine
                        timelapse in the QTpro application?
                        Would be nice to see your project, is it online anywhere?

                        pau valiente
                        www.pau.cc

                        El 07/03/2008, a las 0:15, jeffreycb2000 escribió:

                        > I like the time lapse panorama as well - well done.
                        > For what it is worth as an idea - A number of years ago I had
                        > access to a construction site
                        > security camera (with poor resolution) in Brisbane that's sole job
                        > was to capture a 9 segment
                        > scene every half hour 24 hours a day over 3 and a half years.
                        > At the time I experienced major problems with the differing
                        > exposures in the same series
                        > caused by the auto exposure function of the camera. Compounded by
                        > maintenance
                        > personnel knocking, tilting the camera down to the ground for 1
                        > month and cleaning meant
                        > the images jumped around. In the end the shear number of images
                        > and their alignment was
                        > too much (using one panorama everyday for one movie and a full 48
                        > hour series for another)
                        > so I ended up using the quicktime pro image sequence function. I
                        > was able to sort the
                        > images by position sequence to create 9 time lapse movies and then
                        > combine all 9 videos in
                        > QTPro to arrange their positions into a photographic joiner style.
                        > Great fun experimenting and what is of particular interest (and a
                        > surprise) was the product is
                        > engaging as it makes all those little things of annoyance while
                        > stitching into an intentional
                        > and important part of the movies character.
                        > All the best and look forward to seeing your final product posting.
                        > Jeffrey

                      • pau valiente
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008
                          Hi everyone,
                          I have uploaded the first render of the thirth place where we did the
                          panoramas, is the most spectacular panorama of the three. Please
                          understand is the first process, just the sequence of the resulting
                          panoramas, no fades or postproduction yet.

                          http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/carpa01/PANOS/segura.mov (26MB)
                          http://tinyurl.com/38rnyp

                          Again I recomend you download the panorama and view it on quicktime.
                          Hope you like it!

                          pau valiente
                          www.pau.cc

                          El 07/03/2008, a las 22:43, pau valiente escribió:

                          > Hi Jeffrey,
                          > the final image in your project was a compo with hard edges then?
                          > Hockney style? But I don't imagine how could you compose the nine
                          > timelapse in the QTpro application?
                          > Would be nice to see your project, is it online anywhere?
                          >
                          > pau valiente
                          > www.pau.cc
                          >

                          > El 07/03/2008, a las 0:15, jeffreycb2000 escribió:
                          >
                          >> I like the time lapse panorama as well - well done.
                          >> For what it is worth as an idea - A number of years ago I had
                          >> access to a construction site
                          >> security camera (with poor resolution) in Brisbane that's sole job
                          >> was to capture a 9 segment
                          >> scene every half hour 24 hours a day over 3 and a half years.
                          >> At the time I experienced major problems with the differing
                          >> exposures in the same series
                          >> caused by the auto exposure function of the camera. Compounded by
                          >> maintenance
                          >> personnel knocking, tilting the camera down to the ground for 1
                          >> month and cleaning meant
                          >> the images jumped around. In the end the shear number of images
                          >> and their alignment was
                          >> too much (using one panorama everyday for one movie and a full 48
                          >> hour series for another)
                          >> so I ended up using the quicktime pro image sequence function. I
                          >> was able to sort the
                          >> images by position sequence to create 9 time lapse movies and then
                          >> combine all 9 videos in
                          >> QTPro to arrange their positions into a photographic joiner style.
                          >> Great fun experimenting and what is of particular interest (and a
                          >> surprise) was the product is
                          >> engaging as it makes all those little things of annoyance while
                          >> stitching into an intentional
                          >> and important part of the movies character.
                          >> All the best and look forward to seeing your final product posting.
                          >> Jeffrey
                          >>

                          >> --

                        • AYRTON
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008
                            Paul the last one I liked a lot waht was going on, but
                            it was a strange foramt ... I mean very thin and very wide ...
                            On my mac it show up like 1680 X 111 ?!?!
                            Why is that ?

                            Cheers
                            AYRTON

                            ------------
                            | A Y R |
                            | T O N |
                            ------------

                            + 55 21 9982 6313

                            http://ayrton360.com
                            http://rio.360cities.net
                            http://vrfolio.com
                            http://ayrton.com

                          • pau valiente
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008
                              Hi Ayrton,
                              the last one had the final format as it will be projected. We will
                              use 8 video projectors using the 16:9 proportion. It's a pitty but we
                              can't see more of the sky ...
                              Here I show two images of what we will show on the video projectors,
                              as you will see on the last one I'll do a trick to see better parts
                              of the panorama, the terrain was very descompensate...

                              http://tinyurl.com/28doeq
                              http://tinyurl.com/24txum

                              Salud!

                              pau valiente
                              www.pau.cc

                            • jeffreycb2000
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008
                                Paul,
                                Exactly - QTPro works similar to Photoshop (though in a less user friendly way) - you can
                                insert movies/ images on differing layers and then move the movies around on top of each
                                other to create the joiner. Playing with the layers to adjust which movie sits in front of or
                                behind the others.

                                Each movie is a linear sequence created through QTPro - Open each movie one at a time ,
                                choose select all and then copy one at a time after completing the following,
                                go the the master movie and choose select all then choose add to selection and scale.
                                This puts the copy ontop of the previos movie in the master, otherwise it sticks the movie
                                at the end to create a sequence of movies.
                                Go to Properties of Movie, choose visual settings and then offset.
                                Here you can move the movies off each other to create the joiner effect. Each movie can
                                be put onto differing layers too to control which is forward of the other, etc.
                                (an earlier version of QTPro allowed you to skew and warp the movies - which was great as
                                you could put the movies ontop of each other - for example to make one time lapse movie
                                be the television screen while the time lapse of the room plays along - but with the
                                current QT this is no longer the case unless I have missed where that function is now.)

                                Click play and they all play together. You need to make sure that all the movies have the
                                same number of frames!
                                Have not put the final product on the internet, but will email two extracts to you if that is
                                OK.

                                Regards
                                Jeffrey

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, pau valiente <todo@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Jeffrey,
                                > the final image in your project was a compo with hard edges then?
                                > Hockney style? But I don't imagine how could you compose the nine
                                > timelapse in the QTpro application?
                                > Would be nice to see your project, is it online anywhere?
                                >
                                > pau valiente
                                > www.pau.cc

                              • jeffreycb2000
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008