Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
      Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 11:08 +0100) Web-Connection GmbH said:

      >I think you have done a good selection to show hard light circumstances and
      >for my side the panoramas looks not to flat.

      They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult lighting.

      >What size do your panoramas measure at the end and could you show us one
      >original shot out the cam, I guess that would be very interesting for a few
      >of us?

      Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
      sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
      isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
      *could* be.
      I'm considering pitching for more access at more festivals to shoot
      panos, and a hand-held or monopod three or four-shot process sounds
      rather tempting for chaotic environments where my normal rig (tripod,
      360Precision & 10.5mm) is too crowd-unfriendly.
      It would be great to see a single original file and to know what your
      maximum pano size is with this lens and your D300.

    • qsecofr88888
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
        nice pano. i also hope i can upgrade to d300 soon.
        what iso did you use for your indoor pano?
        cheers
        tommy

        > Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 11:08 +0100) Web-Connection GmbH said:
        >
        > >I think you have done a good selection to show hard light
        circumstances and
        > >for my side the panoramas looks not to flat.
        >
        > They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult
        lighting.

        > >What size do your panoramas measure at the end and could you show
        us one
        > >original shot out the cam, I guess that would be very interesting
        for a few
        > >of us?
        >
        > Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
        > sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
        > isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
        > *could* be.
        > I'm considering pitching for more access at more festivals to
        shoot
        > panos, and a hand-held or monopod three or four-shot process
        sounds
        > rather tempting for chaotic environments where my normal rig
        (tripod,
        > 360Precision & 10.5mm) is too crowd-unfriendly.
        > It would be great to see a single original file and to know what
        your
        > maximum pano size is with this lens and your D300.

      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
          Keith
          I would go for a Sunex or Sigma 8 @ 60� slanted (Lucas method).
          This I found out is a perfect way on monopods - gives you plenty of overlap
          and
          a very good quality.
          The Sunex looks quite interesting too - but 3 to shoot is nearly the same as
          with a Sigma 8 slanted,
          so you don�t have such an advantage.
          Besides: I tried a Sigma 8 @ 60� --> it will go with 3 shots on a Nikon, not
          so on a Canon.
          Maybe it�s because my 120� where not precise enough- Canon does not fogive
          2-5 � error as Nikon does.
          But 4 shots - perfect.

          Ciao
          Mike
          http://www.360de.de

          -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
          Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 11:08 +0100) Web-Connection GmbH said:

          >I think you have done a good selection to show hard light circumstances
          and
          >for my side the panoramas looks not to flat.

          They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult lighting.

          >What size do your panoramas measure at the end and could you show us one
          >original shot out the cam, I guess that would be very interesting for a
          few
          >of us?

          Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
          sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
          isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
          *could* be.
          I'm considering pitching for more access at more festivals to shoot
          panos, and a hand-held or monopod three or four-shot process sounds
          rather tempting for chaotic environments where my normal rig (tripod,
          360Precision & 10.5mm) is too crowd-unfriendly.
          It would be great to see a single original file and to know what your
          maximum pano size is with this lens and your D300.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          08:18

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
            Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 20:02 +0100) ptgroup said:

            >Keith
            >I would go for a Sunex or Sigma 8 @ 60° slanted (Lucas method).
            >This I found out is a perfect way on monopods - gives you plenty of overlap
            >and a very good quality.
            >The Sunex looks quite interesting too - but 3 to shoot is nearly the same as
            >with a Sigma 8 slanted

            Very useful feedback, thanks Mike. So the Sigma
            8mm seems a possible front runner once more!
            Plenty of overlap is a vital point when dealing
            with festival crowds. And shooting four around is
            easier to calculate than three.

            In practical terms, what does this process mean
            for the zenith and nadir? I'd be shooting with
            Nikon/Fuji S5Pro bodies. I prefer not to patch
            with 'graphic caps' if I can avoid it. And the
            Zenith would certainly be a particularly
            important part of shots taken in marquee tents or
            outdoors at night with lasers.

          • ptgroup
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
              Keith,
              just as said before: just take a 60° roll and you CAN do with 6 shots
              without
              zenith & nadir problems (tripod not to count) .
              My tests came out bad on Canon and super on Nikon.
              (The reason is : I am out of NPP for ab . 6mm horizontal and ab. 4mm axial-
              this Canon does not forgive)
              Your play is little though and the overlap is not over the hole image sides
              as without 60° roll.
              If you do freehand or monopod -just take 4 - that gives you plenty of play.
              I had no need for a zenith- shot when pitched the system ab. 1 Nodal Ninja
              unit = 5 ° up.
              That worked fine even with Canon 1.6 crop.
              And with 4 shots you don´t use the "bad" areas of the lens.

              But honestly I must say that it was amazed of what came out with the Sunex -
              immediantely a perfect stitch
              with 3 shots. And plenty of overlap. The 2 shot test could be done- but
              that´s not what I was looking for.
              But I consider the 8mm to be a little better - has more information though.
              I would like to test the Sunex in practice - but where to do ???
              As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not to speak
              from the Hamburg area.
              You mentioned the easy setup - that speaks surely for the Sunex, the F 5.6
              is a little low- but your
              Fuji can easily raise a little ISO - did some yesterday with my 40D @ISO
              800 --> definately little noise
              and much more protected highlites. Should be close to the Fuji - NO Highlite
              Extension activated!!!
              This i do with my setup better I guess with lesser noise.
              May be we can convince someone to import Sunex :-) - then we´ll see.
              Ciao Mike
              http://www.360de.de

              BTW: Sigma is sold
              Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 20:02 +0100) ptgroup said:

              >Keith
              >I would go for a Sunex or Sigma 8 @ 60° slanted (Lucas method).
              >This I found out is a perfect way on monopods - gives you plenty of
              overlap
              >and a very good quality.
              >The Sunex looks quite interesting too - but 3 to shoot is nearly the same
              as
              >with a Sigma 8 slanted

              Very useful feedback, thanks Mike. So the Sigma
              8mm seems a possible front runner once more!
              Plenty of overlap is a vital point when dealing
              with festival crowds. And shooting four around is
              easier to calculate than three.

              In practical terms, what does this process mean
              for the zenith and nadir? I'd be shooting with
              Nikon/Fuji S5Pro bodies. I prefer not to patch
              with 'graphic caps' if I can avoid it. And the
              Zenith would certainly be a particularly
              important part of shots taken in marquee tents or
              outdoors at night with lasers.

            • ebig_foto
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
                A really nice set of images - a pleasure to see and good examples of
                handling difficult lighting.

                A couple questions:

                Were all images bracketed?

                How many bracketed shots did you use per image?

                Did you use a table tripod in the cafe?

                Isn't the cafe where the "real" decisions get made? ;-)

                Regards,
                Ed

                Roberto Gomez Torres wrote:

                > Here I have some new panorama samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm fisheye
                > and
                > the Nikon D300. This time I made some tests with bracketing and the new
                > Enfuse program.
                >
                > Mainly I tried with some difficult and hard lighting situations.
                >
                > ------------------
                >
                > The fourth panorama shows the room where the politicians of "El Oro" take
                > the most important decisions for the town.
                > And finally the fifth one shows the interior of an old train wagon
                > converted
                > to a nice Café (coffee shop), at there me and my friends who were on the
                > camping trip.

              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008

                  > As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not to speak
                  > from the Hamburg area.

                  http://www.360tacticalvr.co.uk/

                  But the price £562.50 ex Vat is higher than Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma 8mm not to talk about the
                  Tokina 10-17mm which you can buy in UK for around £299.95 including Vat

                  Ok I have to say that the Nikkor 10.5mm is just £354.95 at Amazon
                  360 Tactical VR wants £450.00 ex Vat

                  Hans
                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
                    >BTW: Sigma is sold

                    I thought it would be. :-)

                    Thanks for all the feedback, it is all very useful!

                    Keith
                  • panokaemena@mac.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Here some prices in Germany

                      Tokina
                      <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Tokina+10-17&s=0&a=&z=&x=20&y=5>
                      from 477 Euros onwards

                      Nikon 10.5
                      <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Nikon+10.5&s=0&a=&z=&x=0&y=0>
                      from 655 Euro onwards

                      Sigma 8/3.5
                      <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Sigma+8mm&s=0&a=&z=&x=34&y=3>
                      from 641 Euros onwards

                      Sigma 4.5
                      <http://www.preistrend.de/Preisvergleich_Sigma_EX_-_Fischaugenobjektiv_-_4_5_mm_-_f_2_8_DC_HSM__x72497F0A017D77.html

                      from 697 Euros onward

                      Willy Kaemena

                      http://bremen.360cities.net/
                      http://syria.360cities.net/
                      http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                      On Mar 3, 2008, at 1:20, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "ptgroup" <ptgroup@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not
                      > to speak
                      > > from the Hamburg area.
                      >
                      > http://www.360tacticalvr.co.uk/
                      >
                      > But the price £562.50 ex Vat is higher than Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma 8mm
                      > not to talk about the
                      > Tokina 10-17mm which you can buy in UK for around £299.95 including
                      > Vat
                      >
                      > Ok I have to say that the Nikkor 10.5mm is just £354.95 at Amazon
                      > 360 Tactical VR wants £450.00 ex Vat
                      >
                      > Hans

                      Willy Kaemena

                      http://bremen.360cities.net/
                      http://syria.360cities.net/
                      http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                    • Roberto Gomez Torres
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                        Hi Keith,

                        Thanks a lot for taking the time to view my panoramas.
                        I really appreciated that.

                        >> They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult lighting.

                        Enfuse is working great.

                        >> Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
                        >> sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
                        >> isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
                        >> *could* be.

                        The final equirectangular file I got is on average 4,500 x 2,500 pixels.

                        The lens will be very useful for quick photographic in crowded places like
                        you point. Also on small areas were a table tripod can be practical since
                        the setup can be fast and small.
                        One area where I can see big benefits is using it for pole panoramas. On my
                        next camping trip I will try to buy a nice pole and make some tests again
                        with this Sigma 4.5mm.

                        But for quality, resolution and sharpness I will continue to use my Nikon
                        10.5mm.
                        Each lens have it's pros and cons.

                        >> It would be great to see a single original file

                        Sure, no problem.
                        At my web site I have uploaded a NEF file for you to play with (10.7 MB) :

                        http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.nef

                        Hope that helps.
                        ======================
                        Roberto Gómez Torres
                        Tiempo Digital
                        Mexico City, Mexico
                        www.tiempo-digital.com
                        ======================

                        Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                        Posted by: "Keith Martin" keith@... the1keith
                        Sun Mar 2, 2008 4:07 am (PST)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                          Hi Tommy,

                          At the footer of all my panoramas I put the ISO setting and also the lens
                          aperture used.
                          When not using Bracketing also the time of the exposure.

                          For those tests I only used ISO 200 on the Nikon D300.

                          ======================
                          Roberto Gómez Torres
                          Tiempo Digital
                          Mexico City, Mexico
                          www.tiempo-digital.com
                          ======================

                          Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                          Posted by: "qsecofr88888" fatchai@... qsecofr88888

                          Sun Mar 2, 2008 5:43 am (PST)

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                            Hello Ed,

                            >> A really nice set of images - a pleasure to see
                            >> and good examples of handling difficult lighting.

                            Gracias amigo.

                            >> Were all images bracketed?
                            >> How many bracketed shots did you use per image?

                            Yes, all images were bracketed.

                            The Nikon D300 maximum EV step that it allows are increments of 1 EV.

                            So for the first two panoramas I used -4EV, -3EV, -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV,
                            +2EV, +3EV, +4EV (9 auto bracket images).
                            For the third one (outdoor) I used -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV (4 auto bracket
                            images).
                            For the fourth one I used -3EV, -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, +2EV, +3EV (7 auto
                            bracket images).
                            And for the fifth one I used -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, +2EV (5 auto bracket
                            image and hard instructions to my friends to not move).

                            >> Did you use a table tripod in the cafe?

                            Sure, I have a little Bogen Manfrotto table tripod that i like to use a lot.
                            Here you can find it :

                            http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/171046-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3007KIT_3007_Tabletop_Tripod_Kit.html

                            >> Isn't the cafe where the "real" decisions get made? ;-)

                            You are right !

                            ======================
                            Roberto Gómez Torres
                            Tiempo Digital
                            Mexico City, Mexico
                            www.tiempo-digital.com
                            ======================

                            Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                            Posted by: "ebig_foto" ebig_foto@... ebig_foto
                            Sun Mar 2, 2008 2:26 pm (PST)

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                              Roberto , is the sample file still there?? I get only an error message

                              Willy
                              On Mar 4, 2008, at 6:45, Roberto Gomez Torres wrote:

                              > >> It would be great to see a single original file
                              >
                              > Sure, no problem.
                              > At my web site I have uploaded a NEF file for you to play with (10.7
                              > MB) :
                              >
                              > http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.nef
                              >
                              > Hope that helps.
                              > ======================
                              > Roberto Gómez Torres
                              > Tiempo Digital
                              > Mexico City, Mexico
                              > www.tiempo-digital.com
                              > ======================

                              Willy Kaemena

                              http://bremen.360cities.net/
                              http://syria.360cities.net/
                              http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                            • Roberto Gomez Torres
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                                Hi Willy,

                                Maybe a ZIP file should be better.
                                Please try the following link instead:

                                http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.zip

                                Hope that works.
                                Roberto Gómez Torres
                                Tiempo Digital
                                Mexico City, Mexico
                                www.tiempo-digital.com

                                Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                                Posted by: "panokaemena@..." panokaemena@... panokaemena
                                Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:00 am (PST)