Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2 1:22 AM
      Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
      maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
      Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
      mirror.
      I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
      was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
      really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

    • listmail@mab3d.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2 7:01 PM
        On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
        > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
        > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
        >
        > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
        > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
        > with the
        > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
        > at the
        > mirror.

        Care to teach me the trick?

        > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

        No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
        Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
        with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
        levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
        legs.

        > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
        > that is a
        > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

        I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
        many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
        bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
        Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
        good old days" of Feisol?

        > John Riley ha scritto:

        >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
        >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
        >>> for
        >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
        >>> it for a very fair price.

        If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
        the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
        pieces.

        -Mark
      • Thomas Krueger
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2 10:06 PM
          After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
          integrated leveler.

          Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
          http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3 12:38 AM
            Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
            everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
            time...
            I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
            an hour to understand how it turns now.
            I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

            listmail@... ha scritto:

            > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            >
            > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
            > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
            > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
            > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
            > >
            > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
            > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
            > > with the
            > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
            > > at the
            > > mirror.
            >
            > Care to teach me the trick?
            >
            > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
            >
            > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
            > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
            > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
            > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
            > legs.
            >
            > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
            > > that is a
            > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
            >
            > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
            > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
            > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
            > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
            > good old days" of Feisol?

            > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
            > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
            > pieces.
            >
            > -Mark

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3 12:43 AM
              VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
              http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
              However, mine is more SNOB!
              :-DDDDDDDD

              Thomas Krueger ha scritto:

              > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
              > integrated leveler.
              >
              > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
              > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
              > <http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm>

            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3 1:35 AM
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                wrote:

                > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                > integrated leveler.
                >
                > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                leveling head.

                I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                Here it is
                http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                (without legs at the moment)
                Peter