New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.

  • Roberto Gomez Torres
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1 7:16 PM
      Hello list,

      Here I have some new panorama samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm fisheye and
      the Nikon D300.
      This time I made some tests with bracketing and the new Enfuse program.

      Mainly I tried with some difficult and hard lighting situations.
      I am happy with the results. And the lens gave me (at least on this ones)
      very few lens flares. I have to try this lens more on some wide open skies.

      For the first fourth panoramas I used four positions, bracketing at 90°each.
      For the fifth one I used three positions, bracketing at 120°.

      A little about the place:
      On my last camping trip we made a stop on a small and beautiful town in the
      State of Mexico know as "El Oro" which in English translates to "The Gold".
      It was a small but rich mining town around two hundred years ago. At that
      place I found a nice Theater with 100 year of age and the house keeper
      kindly allowed me to enter and took a couple of panoramas. The panorama took
      at the Theater esplanade at first look would appear as bad stitched and not
      very well leveled. The true is that the building is blend at the sides and
      have a problem on the top right part of the ceiling.

      The fourth panorama shows the room where the politicians of "El Oro" take
      the most important decisions for the town.
      And finally the fifth one shows the interior of an old train wagon converted
      to a nice Café (coffee shop), at there me and my friends who were on the
      camping trip.

      Hope you like the images and please feel free to ask any question or sending
      me your comments.
      If the images looks too flat as the result of using Enfuse please let me
      know.

      http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/2008.html

      Gracias.
      Best regards from Mexico City.
      ======================
      Roberto Gómez Torres
      Tiempo Digital
      Mexico City, Mexico
      www.tiempo-digital.com
      ======================
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2 4:01 AM
        Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 11:08 +0100) Web-Connection GmbH said:

        >I think you have done a good selection to show hard light circumstances and
        >for my side the panoramas looks not to flat.

        They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult lighting.

        >What size do your panoramas measure at the end and could you show us one
        >original shot out the cam, I guess that would be very interesting for a few
        >of us?

        Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
        sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
        isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
        *could* be.
        I'm considering pitching for more access at more festivals to shoot
        panos, and a hand-held or monopod three or four-shot process sounds
        rather tempting for chaotic environments where my normal rig (tripod,
        360Precision & 10.5mm) is too crowd-unfriendly.
        It would be great to see a single original file and to know what your
        maximum pano size is with this lens and your D300.

      • qsecofr88888
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2 5:43 AM
          nice pano. i also hope i can upgrade to d300 soon.
          what iso did you use for your indoor pano?
          cheers
          tommy

          > Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 11:08 +0100) Web-Connection GmbH said:
          >
          > >I think you have done a good selection to show hard light
          circumstances and
          > >for my side the panoramas looks not to flat.
          >
          > They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult
          lighting.

          > >What size do your panoramas measure at the end and could you show
          us one
          > >original shot out the cam, I guess that would be very interesting
          for a few
          > >of us?
          >
          > Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
          > sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
          > isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
          > *could* be.
          > I'm considering pitching for more access at more festivals to
          shoot
          > panos, and a hand-held or monopod three or four-shot process
          sounds
          > rather tempting for chaotic environments where my normal rig
          (tripod,
          > 360Precision & 10.5mm) is too crowd-unfriendly.
          > It would be great to see a single original file and to know what
          your
          > maximum pano size is with this lens and your D300.

        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2 11:02 AM
            Keith
            I would go for a Sunex or Sigma 8 @ 60� slanted (Lucas method).
            This I found out is a perfect way on monopods - gives you plenty of overlap
            and
            a very good quality.
            The Sunex looks quite interesting too - but 3 to shoot is nearly the same as
            with a Sigma 8 slanted,
            so you don�t have such an advantage.
            Besides: I tried a Sigma 8 @ 60� --> it will go with 3 shots on a Nikon, not
            so on a Canon.
            Maybe it�s because my 120� where not precise enough- Canon does not fogive
            2-5 � error as Nikon does.
            But 4 shots - perfect.

            Ciao
            Mike
            http://www.360de.de

            -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
            Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 11:08 +0100) Web-Connection GmbH said:

            >I think you have done a good selection to show hard light circumstances
            and
            >for my side the panoramas looks not to flat.

            They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult lighting.

            >What size do your panoramas measure at the end and could you show us one
            >original shot out the cam, I guess that would be very interesting for a
            few
            >of us?

            Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
            sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
            isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
            *could* be.
            I'm considering pitching for more access at more festivals to shoot
            panos, and a hand-held or monopod three or four-shot process sounds
            rather tempting for chaotic environments where my normal rig (tripod,
            360Precision & 10.5mm) is too crowd-unfriendly.
            It would be great to see a single original file and to know what your
            maximum pano size is with this lens and your D300.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            08:18

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2 1:05 PM
              Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 20:02 +0100) ptgroup said:

              >Keith
              >I would go for a Sunex or Sigma 8 @ 60° slanted (Lucas method).
              >This I found out is a perfect way on monopods - gives you plenty of overlap
              >and a very good quality.
              >The Sunex looks quite interesting too - but 3 to shoot is nearly the same as
              >with a Sigma 8 slanted

              Very useful feedback, thanks Mike. So the Sigma
              8mm seems a possible front runner once more!
              Plenty of overlap is a vital point when dealing
              with festival crowds. And shooting four around is
              easier to calculate than three.

              In practical terms, what does this process mean
              for the zenith and nadir? I'd be shooting with
              Nikon/Fuji S5Pro bodies. I prefer not to patch
              with 'graphic caps' if I can avoid it. And the
              Zenith would certainly be a particularly
              important part of shots taken in marquee tents or
              outdoors at night with lasers.

            • ptgroup
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2 2:20 PM
                Keith,
                just as said before: just take a 60° roll and you CAN do with 6 shots
                without
                zenith & nadir problems (tripod not to count) .
                My tests came out bad on Canon and super on Nikon.
                (The reason is : I am out of NPP for ab . 6mm horizontal and ab. 4mm axial-
                this Canon does not forgive)
                Your play is little though and the overlap is not over the hole image sides
                as without 60° roll.
                If you do freehand or monopod -just take 4 - that gives you plenty of play.
                I had no need for a zenith- shot when pitched the system ab. 1 Nodal Ninja
                unit = 5 ° up.
                That worked fine even with Canon 1.6 crop.
                And with 4 shots you don´t use the "bad" areas of the lens.

                But honestly I must say that it was amazed of what came out with the Sunex -
                immediantely a perfect stitch
                with 3 shots. And plenty of overlap. The 2 shot test could be done- but
                that´s not what I was looking for.
                But I consider the 8mm to be a little better - has more information though.
                I would like to test the Sunex in practice - but where to do ???
                As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not to speak
                from the Hamburg area.
                You mentioned the easy setup - that speaks surely for the Sunex, the F 5.6
                is a little low- but your
                Fuji can easily raise a little ISO - did some yesterday with my 40D @ISO
                800 --> definately little noise
                and much more protected highlites. Should be close to the Fuji - NO Highlite
                Extension activated!!!
                This i do with my setup better I guess with lesser noise.
                May be we can convince someone to import Sunex :-) - then we´ll see.
                Ciao Mike
                http://www.360de.de

                BTW: Sigma is sold
                Sometime around 2/3/08 (at 20:02 +0100) ptgroup said:

                >Keith
                >I would go for a Sunex or Sigma 8 @ 60° slanted (Lucas method).
                >This I found out is a perfect way on monopods - gives you plenty of
                overlap
                >and a very good quality.
                >The Sunex looks quite interesting too - but 3 to shoot is nearly the same
                as
                >with a Sigma 8 slanted

                Very useful feedback, thanks Mike. So the Sigma
                8mm seems a possible front runner once more!
                Plenty of overlap is a vital point when dealing
                with festival crowds. And shooting four around is
                easier to calculate than three.

                In practical terms, what does this process mean
                for the zenith and nadir? I'd be shooting with
                Nikon/Fuji S5Pro bodies. I prefer not to patch
                with 'graphic caps' if I can avoid it. And the
                Zenith would certainly be a particularly
                important part of shots taken in marquee tents or
                outdoors at night with lasers.

              • ebig_foto
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2 2:26 PM
                  A really nice set of images - a pleasure to see and good examples of
                  handling difficult lighting.

                  A couple questions:

                  Were all images bracketed?

                  How many bracketed shots did you use per image?

                  Did you use a table tripod in the cafe?

                  Isn't the cafe where the "real" decisions get made? ;-)

                  Regards,
                  Ed

                  Roberto Gomez Torres wrote:

                  > Here I have some new panorama samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm fisheye
                  > and
                  > the Nikon D300. This time I made some tests with bracketing and the new
                  > Enfuse program.
                  >
                  > Mainly I tried with some difficult and hard lighting situations.
                  >
                  > ------------------
                  >
                  > The fourth panorama shows the room where the politicians of "El Oro" take
                  > the most important decisions for the town.
                  > And finally the fifth one shows the interior of an old train wagon
                  > converted
                  > to a nice Café (coffee shop), at there me and my friends who were on the
                  > camping trip.

                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2 4:20 PM

                    > As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not to speak
                    > from the Hamburg area.

                    http://www.360tacticalvr.co.uk/

                    But the price £562.50 ex Vat is higher than Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma 8mm not to talk about the
                    Tokina 10-17mm which you can buy in UK for around £299.95 including Vat

                    Ok I have to say that the Nikkor 10.5mm is just £354.95 at Amazon
                    360 Tactical VR wants £450.00 ex Vat

                    Hans
                  • Keith Martin
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2 5:36 PM
                      >BTW: Sigma is sold

                      I thought it would be. :-)

                      Thanks for all the feedback, it is all very useful!

                      Keith
                    • panokaemena@mac.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3 12:28 AM
                        Here some prices in Germany

                        Tokina
                        <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Tokina+10-17&s=0&a=&z=&x=20&y=5>
                        from 477 Euros onwards

                        Nikon 10.5
                        <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Nikon+10.5&s=0&a=&z=&x=0&y=0>
                        from 655 Euro onwards

                        Sigma 8/3.5
                        <http://www.preistrend.de/suchen.php?q=Sigma+8mm&s=0&a=&z=&x=34&y=3>
                        from 641 Euros onwards

                        Sigma 4.5
                        <http://www.preistrend.de/Preisvergleich_Sigma_EX_-_Fischaugenobjektiv_-_4_5_mm_-_f_2_8_DC_HSM__x72497F0A017D77.html

                        from 697 Euros onward

                        Willy Kaemena

                        http://bremen.360cities.net/
                        http://syria.360cities.net/
                        http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                        On Mar 3, 2008, at 1:20, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "ptgroup" <ptgroup@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > As far as I´ve seen there is no European distributor around - not
                        > to speak
                        > > from the Hamburg area.
                        >
                        > http://www.360tacticalvr.co.uk/
                        >
                        > But the price £562.50 ex Vat is higher than Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma 8mm
                        > not to talk about the
                        > Tokina 10-17mm which you can buy in UK for around £299.95 including
                        > Vat
                        >
                        > Ok I have to say that the Nikkor 10.5mm is just £354.95 at Amazon
                        > 360 Tactical VR wants £450.00 ex Vat
                        >
                        > Hans

                        Willy Kaemena

                        http://bremen.360cities.net/
                        http://syria.360cities.net/
                        http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                      • Roberto Gomez Torres
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3 9:45 PM
                          Hi Keith,

                          Thanks a lot for taking the time to view my panoramas.
                          I really appreciated that.

                          >> They look fine to me as well. Impressive handling of difficult lighting.

                          Enfuse is working great.

                          >> Absolutely! That would be *very* interesting for me. The workflow
                          >> sounds nice and quick, and the results do look good - although it
                          >> isn't possible from your pano to know how sharp and large things
                          >> *could* be.

                          The final equirectangular file I got is on average 4,500 x 2,500 pixels.

                          The lens will be very useful for quick photographic in crowded places like
                          you point. Also on small areas were a table tripod can be practical since
                          the setup can be fast and small.
                          One area where I can see big benefits is using it for pole panoramas. On my
                          next camping trip I will try to buy a nice pole and make some tests again
                          with this Sigma 4.5mm.

                          But for quality, resolution and sharpness I will continue to use my Nikon
                          10.5mm.
                          Each lens have it's pros and cons.

                          >> It would be great to see a single original file

                          Sure, no problem.
                          At my web site I have uploaded a NEF file for you to play with (10.7 MB) :

                          http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.nef

                          Hope that helps.
                          ======================
                          Roberto Gómez Torres
                          Tiempo Digital
                          Mexico City, Mexico
                          www.tiempo-digital.com
                          ======================

                          Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                          Posted by: "Keith Martin" keith@... the1keith
                          Sun Mar 2, 2008 4:07 am (PST)

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3 9:49 PM
                            Hi Tommy,

                            At the footer of all my panoramas I put the ISO setting and also the lens
                            aperture used.
                            When not using Bracketing also the time of the exposure.

                            For those tests I only used ISO 200 on the Nikon D300.

                            ======================
                            Roberto Gómez Torres
                            Tiempo Digital
                            Mexico City, Mexico
                            www.tiempo-digital.com
                            ======================

                            Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                            Posted by: "qsecofr88888" fatchai@... qsecofr88888

                            Sun Mar 2, 2008 5:43 am (PST)

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 3 10:11 PM
                              Hello Ed,

                              >> A really nice set of images - a pleasure to see
                              >> and good examples of handling difficult lighting.

                              Gracias amigo.

                              >> Were all images bracketed?
                              >> How many bracketed shots did you use per image?

                              Yes, all images were bracketed.

                              The Nikon D300 maximum EV step that it allows are increments of 1 EV.

                              So for the first two panoramas I used -4EV, -3EV, -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV,
                              +2EV, +3EV, +4EV (9 auto bracket images).
                              For the third one (outdoor) I used -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV (4 auto bracket
                              images).
                              For the fourth one I used -3EV, -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, +2EV, +3EV (7 auto
                              bracket images).
                              And for the fifth one I used -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, +2EV (5 auto bracket
                              image and hard instructions to my friends to not move).

                              >> Did you use a table tripod in the cafe?

                              Sure, I have a little Bogen Manfrotto table tripod that i like to use a lot.
                              Here you can find it :

                              http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/171046-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3007KIT_3007_Tabletop_Tripod_Kit.html

                              >> Isn't the cafe where the "real" decisions get made? ;-)

                              You are right !

                              ======================
                              Roberto Gómez Torres
                              Tiempo Digital
                              Mexico City, Mexico
                              www.tiempo-digital.com
                              ======================

                              Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                              Posted by: "ebig_foto" ebig_foto@... ebig_foto
                              Sun Mar 2, 2008 2:26 pm (PST)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 3 11:59 PM
                                Roberto , is the sample file still there?? I get only an error message

                                Willy
                                On Mar 4, 2008, at 6:45, Roberto Gomez Torres wrote:

                                > >> It would be great to see a single original file
                                >
                                > Sure, no problem.
                                > At my web site I have uploaded a NEF file for you to play with (10.7
                                > MB) :
                                >
                                > http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.nef
                                >
                                > Hope that helps.
                                > ======================
                                > Roberto Gómez Torres
                                > Tiempo Digital
                                > Mexico City, Mexico
                                > www.tiempo-digital.com
                                > ======================

                                Willy Kaemena

                                http://bremen.360cities.net/
                                http://syria.360cities.net/
                                http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                              • Roberto Gomez Torres
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 4 11:26 AM
                                  Hi Willy,

                                  Maybe a ZIP file should be better.
                                  Please try the following link instead:

                                  http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/sigma_4_5_mm_sample.zip

                                  Hope that works.
                                  Roberto Gómez Torres
                                  Tiempo Digital
                                  Mexico City, Mexico
                                  www.tiempo-digital.com

                                  Re: New samples made with the Sigma 4.5mm + Nikon D300.
                                  Posted by: "panokaemena@..." panokaemena@... panokaemena
                                  Tue Mar 4, 2008 12:00 am (PST)