Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • brontvain
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
      so after all this feedback, i should sell the manfrotto i just
      bought.. by the pound

      i'll make a fortune

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
      > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
      > hands,
      > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos
      taken
      > with
      >

      > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
      > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
      > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
      > Manfrotto
      > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make
      > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
      > could
      > maybe find on Ebay eventually
      > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg
      >
      > If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce
      its
      > footprint.
      >
      > Peter

    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
        On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:26 PM, panovrx wrote:

        > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
        > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
        > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
        > Manfrotto
        > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
        > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
        > could
        > maybe find on Ebay eventually
        > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

        Yep, that's the one I have and will sell. Mine looks much better
        cosmetically. He is right about how smooth they are - like butter.

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

      • Luca Vascon
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
          Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
          maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
          Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
          mirror.
          I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
          was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
          really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

        • listmail@mab3d.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
            On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
            > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
            > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
            >
            > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
            > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
            > with the
            > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
            > at the
            > mirror.

            Care to teach me the trick?

            > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

            No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
            Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
            with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
            levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
            legs.

            > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
            > that is a
            > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

            I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
            many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
            bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
            Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
            good old days" of Feisol?

            > John Riley ha scritto:

            >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
            >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
            >>> for
            >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
            >>> it for a very fair price.

            If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
            the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
            pieces.

            -Mark
          • Thomas Krueger
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
              After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
              integrated leveler.

              Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
              http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
                everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
                time...
                I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
                an hour to understand how it turns now.
                I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

                listmail@... ha scritto:

                > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                >
                > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
                > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
                > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                > >
                > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                > > with the
                > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                > > at the
                > > mirror.
                >
                > Care to teach me the trick?
                >
                > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
                >
                > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                > legs.
                >
                > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                > > that is a
                > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
                >
                > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                > good old days" of Feisol?

                > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                > pieces.
                >
                > -Mark

              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                  VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
                  http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
                  However, mine is more SNOB!
                  :-DDDDDDDD

                  Thomas Krueger ha scritto:

                  > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                  > integrated leveler.
                  >
                  > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                  > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
                  > <http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm>

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                    wrote:

                    > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                    > integrated leveler.
                    >
                    > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                    > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                    Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                    Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                    geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                    leveling head.

                    I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                    arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                    Here it is
                    http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                    (without legs at the moment)
                    Peter