Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1 6:26 PM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

      > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
      > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
      hands,
      > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
      with

      Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
      www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
      which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
      Manfrotto
      pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
      smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
      could
      maybe find on Ebay eventually
      http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

      If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce its
      footprint.

      Peter
    • brontvain
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1 6:36 PM
        so after all this feedback, i should sell the manfrotto i just
        bought.. by the pound

        i'll make a fortune

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
        > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
        > hands,
        > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos
        taken
        > with
        >

        > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
        > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
        > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
        > Manfrotto
        > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make
        > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
        > could
        > maybe find on Ebay eventually
        > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg
        >
        > If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce
        its
        > footprint.
        >
        > Peter

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1 6:42 PM
          On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:26 PM, panovrx wrote:

          > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
          > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
          > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
          > Manfrotto
          > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
          > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
          > could
          > maybe find on Ebay eventually
          > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

          Yep, that's the one I have and will sell. Mine looks much better
          cosmetically. He is right about how smooth they are - like butter.

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          jriley@...

        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 2 1:22 AM
            Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
            maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
            Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
            mirror.
            I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
            was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
            really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

          • listmail@mab3d.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2 7:01 PM
              On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
              > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
              > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
              >
              > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
              > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
              > with the
              > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
              > at the
              > mirror.

              Care to teach me the trick?

              > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

              No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
              Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
              with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
              levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
              legs.

              > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
              > that is a
              > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

              I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
              many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
              bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
              Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
              good old days" of Feisol?

              > John Riley ha scritto:

              >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
              >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
              >>> for
              >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
              >>> it for a very fair price.

              If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
              the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
              pieces.

              -Mark
            • Thomas Krueger
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 2 10:06 PM
                After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                integrated leveler.

                Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3 12:38 AM
                  Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
                  everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
                  time...
                  I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
                  an hour to understand how it turns now.
                  I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

                  listmail@... ha scritto:

                  > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                  > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
                  > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
                  > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                  > >
                  > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                  > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                  > > with the
                  > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                  > > at the
                  > > mirror.
                  >
                  > Care to teach me the trick?
                  >
                  > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
                  >
                  > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                  > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                  > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                  > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                  > legs.
                  >
                  > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                  > > that is a
                  > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
                  >
                  > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                  > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                  > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                  > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                  > good old days" of Feisol?

                  > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                  > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                  > pieces.
                  >
                  > -Mark

                • Luca Vascon
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3 12:43 AM
                    VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
                    http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
                    However, mine is more SNOB!
                    :-DDDDDDDD

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3 1:35 AM
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                      wrote:

                      > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                      > integrated leveler.
                      >
                      > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                      > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                      Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                      Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                      geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                      leveling head.

                      I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                      arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                      Here it is
                      http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                      (without legs at the moment)
                      Peter