Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
      Heck, I forgot to mention that I also have a Kaidan leveling base! I
      seem to be an inadvertent collector of these things! I would be
      happy to part with the Kaidan too. It is in excellent condition.

      RE: leveling with the legs- I tried that for a good while because so
      many folks here recommend it. Drove me nuts trying to get a decent
      level with them. The tripod head with a built-in leveling head is
      soooo nice! I bought a Feisol CT-3442 with the optional leveling
      head and have been very happy with its light weight and rigidity.
      Not to mention costing waaaaay less than a Gitzo (and not being a
      Gitzo design rip-off like Benro.)

      John

      John Riley
      johnriley@...
      jriley@...

      On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:08 PM, John Riley wrote:

      > FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
      > outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
      > have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
      > thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
      > Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
      > BHPhoto:
      >
      > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
      > Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>
      >
      > Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
      > Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
      > it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
      > it for a very fair price.
      >
      > John

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

        > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
        > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
        hands,
        > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
        with

        Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
        www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
        which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
        Manfrotto
        pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
        smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
        could
        maybe find on Ebay eventually
        http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

        If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce its
        footprint.

        Peter
      • brontvain
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
          so after all this feedback, i should sell the manfrotto i just
          bought.. by the pound

          i'll make a fortune

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
          > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
          > hands,
          > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos
          taken
          > with
          >

          > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
          > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
          > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
          > Manfrotto
          > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make
          > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
          > could
          > maybe find on Ebay eventually
          > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg
          >
          > If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce
          its
          > footprint.
          >
          > Peter

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
            On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:26 PM, panovrx wrote:

            > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
            > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
            > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
            > Manfrotto
            > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
            > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
            > could
            > maybe find on Ebay eventually
            > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

            Yep, that's the one I have and will sell. Mine looks much better
            cosmetically. He is right about how smooth they are - like butter.

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
              Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
              maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
              Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
              mirror.
              I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
              was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
              really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

            • listmail@mab3d.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
                > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                >
                > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                > with the
                > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                > at the
                > mirror.

                Care to teach me the trick?

                > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

                No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                legs.

                > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                > that is a
                > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                good old days" of Feisol?

                > John Riley ha scritto:

                >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
                >>> for
                >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                >>> it for a very fair price.

                If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                pieces.

                -Mark
              • Thomas Krueger
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                  After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                  integrated leveler.

                  Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                  http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
                • Luca Vascon
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
                    everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
                    time...
                    I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
                    an hour to understand how it turns now.
                    I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

                    listmail@... ha scritto:

                    > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                    > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
                    > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
                    > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                    > >
                    > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                    > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                    > > with the
                    > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                    > > at the
                    > > mirror.
                    >
                    > Care to teach me the trick?
                    >
                    > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
                    >
                    > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                    > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                    > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                    > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                    > legs.
                    >
                    > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                    > > that is a
                    > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
                    >
                    > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                    > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                    > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                    > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                    > good old days" of Feisol?

                    > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                    > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                    > pieces.
                    >
                    > -Mark

                  • Luca Vascon
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                      VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
                      http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
                      However, mine is more SNOB!
                      :-DDDDDDDD

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                        wrote:

                        > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                        > integrated leveler.
                        >
                        > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                        > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                        Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                        Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                        geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                        leveling head.

                        I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                        arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                        Here it is
                        http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                        (without legs at the moment)
                        Peter