Re: How much do you charge for a VR?? More

  • Dave 360texas.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
      Since we set our price point we find we are attracting a different
      client group.. like advertising agencies and other professional studio
      photographers who do not have the time or need to learn panorama
      imaging... so they outsource for their project.

      http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jeanpierrelavoie" <j_plavoie@...>
      wrote:

      > That's a good question I keep asking myself since I started to
      produce
      > VR and have customers. It is not an easy question depending on
      where
      > you live and what is the market you shoot for. Here in Canada, I
      would
      > say from $250 to $500 canadian dollars. Is it too low, is it too
      > high? What do you think about it?
      >
      > Any thoughts are welcome!

    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
        Your price table seems rasonable. Maybe in Europe we charge more if we
        convert dollars with actual rate, I think proportion is the same.

        Dave 360texas.com ha scritto:

        > Since we set our price point we find we are attracting a different
        > client group.. like advertising agencies and other professional studio
        > photographers who do not have the time or need to learn panorama
        > imaging... so they outsource for their project.
        >
        > http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm
        > <http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm>
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "jeanpierrelavoie"
        > <j_plavoie@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > That's a good question I keep asking myself since I started to
        > produce
        > > VR and have customers. It is not an easy question depending on
        > where
        > > you live and what is the market you shoot for. Here in Canada, I
        > would
        > > say from $250 to $500 canadian dollars. Is it too low, is it too
        > > high? What do you think about it?
        > >
        > > Any thoughts are welcome!

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
          On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Luca Vascon <crimsonkingit@...> wrote:

          > Your price table seems rasonable. Maybe in Europe we charge more if we
          > convert dollars with actual rate, I think proportion is the same.

          My dear portuguese speaker friend Luca :-)
          for Brazil ...
          I almost never charge that LOW.
          Never !
          Thanks God :-)

          AYRTON

          > Dave 360texas.com ha scritto:
          > >
          > > Since we set our price point we find we are attracting a different
          > > client group.. like advertising agencies and other professional studio
          > > photographers who do not have the time or need to learn panorama
          > > imaging... so they outsource for their project.
          > >
          > > http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm
          > > <http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm>
          > >
          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "jeanpierrelavoie"
          > > <j_plavoie@...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > That's a good question I keep asking myself since I started to
          > > produce
          > > > VR and have customers. It is not an easy question depending on
          > > where
          > > > you live and what is the market you shoot for. Here in Canada, I
          > > would
          > > > say from $250 to $500 canadian dollars. Is it too low, is it too
          > > > high? What do you think about it?
          > > >
          > > > Any thoughts are welcome!

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
          ------------

          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
            Ahemmm, ok, I'll arrive with the first fly. I hope you need help over there.
            :-DDD
            Just the time to pack up my cameras and rent or sell my 50mq house in
            Venice.
            Today is so foggy I can't see the other side of the canal.

            AYRTON ha scritto:

            > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Luca Vascon <crimsonkingit@...
            > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it>> wrote:
            >
            > > Your price table seems rasonable. Maybe in Europe we charge more if we
            > > convert dollars with actual rate, I think proportion is the same.
            >
            > My dear portuguese speaker friend Luca :-)
            > for Brazil ...
            > I almost never charge that LOW.
            > Never !
            > Thanks God :-)
            >
            > AYRTON
            >

            > > Dave 360texas.com ha scritto:
            > > >
            > > > Since we set our price point we find we are attracting a different
            > > > client group.. like advertising agencies and other professional studio
            > > > photographers who do not have the time or need to learn panorama
            > > > imaging... so they outsource for their project.
            > > >
            > > > http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm
            > <http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm>
            > > > <http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm
            > <http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm>>
            > > >
            > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "jeanpierrelavoie"
            > > > <j_plavoie@...>

            > > > produce
            > > > where
            > > > would

            > > --

            > ------------
            > | A Y R |
            > | T O N |
            > ------------
            >
            > + 55 21 9982 6313
            >
            > http://ayrton360.com <http://ayrton360.com>
            > http://rio.360cities.net <http://rio.360cities.net>
            > http://vrfolio.com <http://vrfolio.com>
            > http://ayrton.com <http://ayrton.com>

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
              Hi Dave,
              Thanks for sharing, yes your pricing page is a good clear starter with
              room to move both up and down depending on needs.

              Can you post a link to a sample of your "Standard 5" includes??

              Do you provide just full screen in Flash 9 and Qt or multi sizes?
              I guess the html provided is the full screen series with the choosen
              web designer creating the webpages and simply inserting the pano
              objects... or do you provide a full linked tour with map etc...

              Sorry for all the questions but we have been pricing based on the
              clients needs but really need to come up with some packages that work
              for the client and us. We need to reduce the leakage of doing to much
              in the "extras" like html, multi sizes etc which we have missed out on
              charging for as it may not have been clear from the outset..

              Thanks

              Paul
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
              <texas360dave@...> wrote:

              > Since we set our price point we find we are attracting a different
              > client group.. like advertising agencies and other professional studio
              > photographers who do not have the time or need to learn panorama
              > imaging... so they outsource for their project.
              >
              > http://www.360texas.com/services/info.htm
            • eli20sf
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                I'd love to hear more about pricing. It's all relative to the "end
                product". But for a high quality, full screen QTVR/FLASH tour with
                minimal errors - I'm also curious what other's are charging. I use a
                Nikon D200 and 10.5 fisheye, with the 360precision head and Stitcher
                5.6 software. Most of the above equipment has been in my hands for
                only 2 months now. I'm trying to figure out what price point to set
                or how to have pricing differentiate between real estate and
                business/hospitality. I'd love to hear more about people's pricing
                -and how they came to their price point decisions.

                I'm considering doing an hourly rate and just standing by that - but
                I'm not sure if that's what people want to see/hear. Please continue
                to share on this :)

                Take care,

                Eli
              • Nelson Mendes
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                  This is a helpful topic, and it's nice to know what are the prices
                  charged for a VR all over the world (I'm in Portugal).

                  Now, my question is, what do you consider "a VR"? Is it the group of
                  photos taken (say, 6+2 photos) stitched to a panorama?
                  Or do you generate the QTVR's or another kind of display method for
                  VR? If so, do you provide alternative size movies? (Like one low
                  resolution and one full res).
                  I think all these factors contribute to the final price and it's nice
                  to know what "packages" are you providing.

                  Nelson Mendes

                  wrote:

                  > That's a good question I keep asking myself since I started to produce
                  > VR and have customers. It is not an easy question depending on where
                  > you live and what is the market you shoot for. Here in Canada, I would
                  > say from $250 to $500 canadian dollars. Is it too low, is it too
                  > high? What do you think about it?
                  >
                  > Any thoughts are welcome!

                • jeanpierrelavoie
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                    I consider a VR, in my case, to be a Flash or Quick Time movie for
                    internet resolution (around 6000 x 3000 pixels equirectangular
                    projection), not high resolution. I supply a small thumbnail image
                    for the VR so that the customer integrates it on his own in his
                    website.

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Mendes" <nmendes@...>
                    wrote:

                    > This is a helpful topic, and it's nice to know what are the prices
                    > charged for a VR all over the world (I'm in Portugal).
                    >
                    > Now, my question is, what do you consider "a VR"? Is it the group of
                    > photos taken (say, 6+2 photos) stitched to a panorama?
                    > Or do you generate the QTVR's or another kind of display method for
                    > VR? If so, do you provide alternative size movies? (Like one low
                    > resolution and one full res).
                    > I think all these factors contribute to the final price and it's
                    nice
                    > to know what "packages" are you providing.
                    >
                    > Nelson Mendes
                    >
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jeanpierrelavoie" <j_plavoie@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > That's a good question I keep asking myself since I started to
                    produce
                    > > VR and have customers. It is not an easy question depending on
                    where
                    > > you live and what is the market you shoot for. Here in Canada, I
                    would
                    > > say from $250 to $500 canadian dollars. Is it too low, is it too
                    > > high? What do you think about it?
                    > >
                    > > Any thoughts are welcome!

                  • ebig_foto
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                      I have a friend who specializes in clientele that need 360 images on an
                      ongoing basis - RE rentals, not sales.

                      He charges a VERY low rate which includes web pages, authoring, and hosting.
                      It is seen as too good a deal to pass up...and he keeps busy.

                      The initial minimal fee becomes a subscription which goes on forever, as
                      long as the site is "hot." Until it's not.

                      Another way of saying - there are a lot of ways of doing business.

                      Ed

                    • Yuval Levy
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                        jeanpierrelavoie wrote:
                        > Here in Canada, I would say from $250 to $500 canadian dollars.

                        it depends on the quality of the work provided, its use and how unique
                        it is. rule number one of marketing is that the selling price of good is
                        not related to production costs. It only has to be higher.

                        To be higher it is important to be aware of production costs, which
                        include amortization and dead time.

                        Some cost factors are fixed and known in advance, others not. Some are
                        predictable, others not. And of course it depends on the quality of the
                        delivery.

                        As an example, mileage is predictable but variable. Before you even
                        start shooting, you spend time and money to get on location. If shoots
                        can be grouped in a single time and location, you can spread these costs
                        over multiple VR. Else, I charge for mileage. My charge here in Quebec
                        was 0.55$/Km for the past three years.

                        If you need to do a lot of retouching at nadir and seam, the time spent
                        in Photoshop is not always predictable. An hourly rate for retouching on
                        top of the price for shooting and basic stitching may be appropriate.

                        Your average price look reasonable to me. Unfortunately it will preclude
                        some markets to you, due to competition by "drive-by shooters". You
                        don't want to be in those markets anyway, where the going price is
                        $20/pano but the quality is nowhere near the high quality you produce.

                        Yuv
                      • panotonic01
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                          Hi all,

                          I think $ 250 is a good starting point. Underneath, possibly for real
                          estate agents, for 3 to 6 months using, the time of the sale process.

                          After everything is expandable depending on the complexity of
                          shooting.So no limit for the maximum. I will be glad to hear someone
                          sell a Vr for $5000.

                          But I would like for mines nexts submissions, add a cost to use the
                          VR for a period of time such as:
                          $ 200 additional on production costs for 3 years of use , $ 300 for 5
                          years, etc., but never a lifetime, VRs still property of the
                          photographer.
                          Fee is expandable if the compagny is international or local.

                          It s the rule that applies photographers authors like CAPIC (THE
                          CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF PHOTOGRAPHERS AND ILLUSTRATORS IN
                          COMMUNICATIONS).

                          It is in my opinion the way to do so that our work is a reward its
                          fair value.
                          I hope to encourage more of a demarche in this and especially Jean
                          Pierre and Yuval, because we are in the same area. For this benefit
                          to all if we go in this direction billing and enhance our rights.

                          Any reactions of people who already use this system?

                          I hope to be understand with my little english and especially by my
                          customers coming.

                          Yannis
                        • Keith Martin
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                            Sometime around 4/3/08 (at 07:19 -0500) Yuval Levy said:

                            >If you need to do a lot of retouching at nadir and seam, the time spent
                            >in Photoshop is not always predictable. An hourly rate for retouching on
                            >top of the price for shooting and basic stitching may be appropriate.

                            Very good points, Yuval.

                            Just as an additional comment here, it is worth making sure the
                            client doesn't see your retouching charges as paying for 'time spent
                            correcting your mistakes'. If high quality is desired, most panos
                            will need at least a small amount of retouching work.

                          • Chris Thomas
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                              Hi Yannis.

                              I'm a member of CAPIC and I don't sell my copyright on Panos to clients
                              either.

                              As you suggested.. I license the usage. The rate that I'm implimenting in
                              Calgary and Vancouver is:

                              *A "Capture" fee of $600.00.
                              *Panos shot on the day of the "Capture" are licensed for $500.00/ year.
                              *They can license 1 ........ several or none, if they like..
                              Nobody has ever not licensed at least 1!

                              I don't "host" the panos.... I turn over a web ready folder with .swf and
                              xml files.
                              I use FPP for this.

                              Cheers
                              chris

                              Chris Thomas
                              Photographer
                              cell... 403-615-1212
                              In North America
                              call... 1-800-870-5110
                              http://www.christhomas.com

[...]

                              [Chris Thomas] snip
                              .
                            • panotonic01
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                                Thanks Chris,

                                My price list is very flexible with customer, but I guess no high
                                enough, rarely people deal the price with me.
                                Do I have the right price or a too good price?
                                Anyway, I m a youg VR photographer, I improve my shooting and
                                processing every day (in parallel with my price list..)

                                An advice? Charge a bit higher than you thought (We are too modest)

                                ;­-) Yannis

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Yannis.
                                >
                                > I'm a member of CAPIC and I don't sell my copyright on Panos to
                                clients
                                > either.
                                >
                                > As you suggested.. I license the usage. The rate that I'm
                                implimenting in
                                > Calgary and Vancouver is:
                                >
                                > *A "Capture" fee of $600.00.
                                > *Panos shot on the day of the "Capture" are licensed for $500.00/
                                year.
                                > *They can license 1 ........ several or none, if they like..
                                > Nobody has ever not licensed at least 1!
                                >
                                > I don't "host" the panos.... I turn over a web ready folder
                                with .swf and
                                > xml files.
                                > I use FPP for this.
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                > chris
                                >

                                > Chris Thomas
                                > Photographer
                                > cell... 403-615-1212
                                > In North America
                                > call... 1-800-870-5110
                                > http://www.christhomas.com

                              • Chris Thomas
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                                  Best Advise I can give is

                                  Keep your copyright.. Or charge them a fortune!

                                  Best of luck

                                  chris

                                  Chris Thomas

                                  Photographer

                                  cell... 403-615-1212

                                  In North America

                                  call... 1-800-870-5110

                                  My price list is very flexible with customer, but I guess no high
                                  enough, rarely people deal the price with me.
                                  Do I have the right price or a too good price?
                                  Anyway, I m a youg VR photographer, I improve my shooting and
                                  processing every day (in parallel with my price list..)

                                  An advice? Charge a bit higher than you thought (We are too modest)

                                  ;--) Yannis

                                  Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:
                                  [Chris Thomas] snip

                                • eli20sf
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 14, 2008
                                    Hi Everyone,

                                    I'm re-lighting this fire. So I've taken off pricing from my
                                    website because I felt like I was too high for realtors, and too low
                                    for corporate/commercial.

                                    I'm creating 6880x3440 pano's w/ my d200/10.5/360precision/realviz
                                    (just got PTGUI this week, so I'll be moving over asap) ... and I'm
                                    just bouncing around with pricing (too afraid to charge to much, but
                                    realizing I do quality work,and it take TIME ... AND I want to
                                    charge as much as similar vr photographers doing the same caliber
                                    work).

                                    I re-read the thread, and it looks like licsensing our work could
                                    work out. I'm curious to hear more about how each of you figure
                                    your price structure out ... and what, on average, most of us are
                                    charing for comparable work. And another question is ... how do you
                                    break your pricing to get some of the realty market ... cause
                                    realtors are cheap.

                                    Thanks again, I hope this isn't a boring subject to most of you.

                                    Eli Poblitz
                                    http://www.bayareavr.com
                                  • Georgia Real Tours
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 14, 2008
                                      On 5/14/08, eli20sf <epoblitz@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm creating 6880x3440 pano's w/ my d200/10.5/360precision/realviz
                                      > (just got PTGUI this week, so I'll be moving over asap) ... and I'm
                                      > just bouncing around with pricing (too afraid to charge to much, but
                                      > realizing I do quality work,and it take TIME ... AND I want to
                                      > charge as much as similar vr photographers doing the same caliber
                                      > work).

                                      I'm thinking for the generic realtor you are looking at using
                                      Mercedes-class equipment in a Pinto-class environment. Okay, maybe
                                      Taurus-class environment. It seems to me your equipment is right for
                                      the commercial/corporate stuff, and if you prefer to do the quality
                                      work you're set; I'd concentrate on them as often as possible.

                                      OTOH, real estate is more likely to pay for your daily life more
                                      quickly, in my opinion. It looks like you are going to have to take
                                      more shots at higher resolution than you really want; fortunately with
                                      your precision head you should be able to take a massive chunk out of
                                      the processing since the stitching ought to be almost trivial for you.

                                      Ironically, I just sat down this evening to create a "package" menu
                                      for my prospective clients; as it turns out most people are completely
                                      baffled by a an 8pt font spreadsheet with bizarre words intermingling
                                      with rows and columns of numbers. I'll spring that on them when they
                                      ask, but for now I'm just going to give them the 1-page menu which
                                      covers everything from an introductory offer to an open-ended
                                      high-quality package.

                                      Out in Middle Georgia, unlike the Bay Area, housing prices are
                                      affordable. Which means that commissions are much lower, as is the
                                      cost of living (if you don't count fuel and food these days). That
                                      means my pricing is going to be a lot lower than yours needs to be
                                      (and you'll find I'm in the vast majority when it comes to
                                      cost-of-living vs. the Bay Area). An example is that $75,000 gets you
                                      a decent 4-bed 2-bath home that is not necessarily within smelling
                                      distance of your neighbor, and I've seen TLC vacant homes for $30K.

                                      That said, I'll be happy to shoot you a copy of what I've done
                                      off-list if you want. Bear in mind, too, that it is a first draft and
                                      may change; it is merely a reflection on what I feel I can offer for a
                                      fair price and hoping those fall within what realtors consider
                                      reasonable for the price. Feel free to pilfer whatever may help you
                                      (if that wasn't already implied.) ;c)

                                      > and what, on average, most of us are
                                      > charing for comparable work.

                                      Pssst! Just a reminder.... the Bay Area isn't comparable to most of
                                      the rest of the world. ;c) Look at average wages for the areas you
                                      compare as well as average home prices to get a better feel for the
                                      "exchange rate" between where you are and where the comp is.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Robert~

                                      --
                                      Mid GA: 478-599-1300
                                      ATL: 678-438-6955
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 16, 2008
                                        Hi Robert, do you mind send a copy off-list to my email as well,
                                        more than grateful to have it. As I mentioned on another thread, I
                                        having real hard time to figure out what is the right structure to
                                        price because from country where I come from, there isn't a market
                                        for this thing yet. I am alone here and crying for help! So forum
                                        like this one and ppl like you can really do great help. Thanks
                                        again.

                                        Daley.
                                        MAlaysia
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Georgia Real Tours"
                                        <garealtours@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        >
                                        > That said, I'll be happy to shoot you a copy of what I've done
                                        > off-list if you want. Bear in mind, too, that it is a first draft
                                        and
                                        > may change; it is merely a reflection on what I feel I can offer
                                        for a
                                        > fair price and hoping those fall within what realtors consider
                                        > reasonable for the price. Feel free to pilfer whatever may help
                                        you
                                        > (if that wasn't already implied.) ;c)
                                        >

                                        > > and what, on average, most of us are
                                        > > charing for comparable work.
                                        >
                                        > Pssst! Just a reminder.... the Bay Area isn't comparable to most
                                        of
                                        > the rest of the world. ;c) Look at average wages for the areas
                                        you
                                        > compare as well as average home prices to get a better feel for the
                                        > "exchange rate" between where you are and where the comp is.

                                      • Scott Highton
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 16, 2008
                                          Hi all,

                                          Pricing our services effectively is one of the more difficult aspects
                                          of being in business as a photographer. In the end, you're going to
                                          have to make these decisions for yourself, based upon your own
                                          specific markets and your specific costs of doing business.

                                          Most photographers however -- particularly those starting out,
                                          significantly underestimate how much it costs to be in business and
                                          therefore, significantly undercharge for their services. It's not
                                          usually effective to base your fees on what other photographers
                                          charge, because their business costs, and their markets are likely to
                                          be markedly different from yours. Basing your fees on what your
                                          clients say they want to pay you is pure folly. Nobody can remain in
                                          ANY business very long if they let their clients dictate how much
                                          they charge, rather than charging fair rates based on their own costs
                                          of doing business.

                                          There is lots of free information about pricing VR services at the
                                          Virtual Reality Photography web site: http://www.vrphotography.com

                                          Specifically, there is a free Photo Business Calculator that you can
                                          download to help determine your own costs of doing business and your
                                          own minimum rates at:
                                          http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/onlinetools/
                                          onlinetools.html#photofeescalcanchor

                                          There are also a number of Business Q&As for VR photographers at:
                                          http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/askexperts/askexperts.html

                                          Regards,

                                          Scott Highton
                                          Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                                          Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

                                        • eli20sf
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 16, 2008
                                            Robert,

                                            Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I'm on the quest brother.
                                            Seriously, I'm just having a hard time. Especially after I see how
                                            much work it takes. I just finished these tours from a shoot last
                                            week:

                                            http://www.bayareavr.com/kapu/lanai
                                            http://www.bayareavr.com/tom/waaula/livingroom
                                            http://www.bayareavr.com/private_home/living_room

                                            and let me share my pricing (scenerio). So for kapu, I was able to
                                            get 400 (which is the highest price I've gotten for a 5 tour shot -
                                            and actually I feel like it's much closer to what I want here in the
                                            states).

                                            I went to maui last week to shoot some propertys for a good friend of
                                            mine who's a property manager. The "private home" was one of many
                                            (still rendering) ... and since it's a good friend and a trade for
                                            later, when I want to go out with the family - it's all good in
                                            itself.

                                            Since I was going to Maui, I used craigslist to email a few realtors
                                            in the same city as my buddy - with an informal "Ill be there, here's
                                            my site if your interested". And one realtor took me up. I ended up
                                            shooting 7 houses averaging 5 shoots per house ... and only charged
                                            200 cause I felt like he was getting alot of work, and it was set up
                                            informally. So I set my pricing, but now that I'm back on
                                            the "mainland" and Im processing all this - I'm just realizing how
                                            much fricken work I put into the tours - and I just can't/haven't
                                            taken short cuts. I shoot raw, then tiff sphere, tiff cube (for
                                            nadir) and finally compress in the qtvr stage. I'm unfortunately
                                            still using stitcher (but bought ptgui this week ... just need the
                                            time to learn it).

                                            Anyhow ... charged the realtor 200 per tour. I figured it'd be a
                                            good price since he had 7 properties he wanted shot. Now I'm
                                            somewhat regretting the price cause I'm up to my ears in tours. But
                                            I'm still paying my dues ... at an early stage of my company, and
                                            still very much in a learning stage (which will never stop - I know :)

                                            So the point of this rambling? Just to share. I'm just looking for
                                            strategies to make sure I make money, but don't dilute the vr world
                                            with cheap high res panos. I don't offer much with my tours
                                            (navigation/buttons/etc) but learning more xml for FPP is my next
                                            step (with PTGUI as my first priority).

                                            Robert I like your site. Do you use picassa photos/plug in's for
                                            your blog/site? Great work.

                                            And too everyone else - let's keep this subject going. Sharing price
                                            sheets, sharing experiences, and learning from each other.

                                            And if anyone from this forum is close to, or ever traveling to, San
                                            Francisco ... give me a heads up so I can buy a lunch and drinks.

                                            Take care all,

                                            Eli Poblitz
                                            bayareavr.com
                                            bayareavr.net
                                          • Georgia Real Tours
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 17, 2008
                                              On 5/16/08, eli20sf <epoblitz@...> wrote:

                                              > Robert,
                                              >
                                              > Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I'm on the quest brother.
                                              > Seriously, I'm just having a hard time. Especially after I see how
                                              > much work it takes. I just finished these tours from a shoot last
                                              > week:
                                              >
                                              > http://www.bayareavr.com/kapu/lanai
                                              > http://www.bayareavr.com/tom/waaula/livingroom
                                              > http://www.bayareavr.com/private_home/living_room

                                              They are beautiful, good job!

                                              > and let me share my pricing (scenerio). So for kapu, I was able to
                                              > get 400 (which is the highest price I've gotten for a 5 tour shot -
                                              > and actually I feel like it's much closer to what I want here in the
                                              > states).

                                              > Since I was going to Maui, I used craigslist to email a few realtors
                                              > in the same city as my buddy - with an informal "Ill be there, here's
                                              > my site if your interested". And one realtor took me up.

                                              Great business move!

                                              > I ended up
                                              > shooting 7 houses averaging 5 shoots per house ... and only charged
                                              > 200 cause I felt like he was getting alot of work, and it was set up
                                              > informally.

                                              ...snip...

                                              > Anyhow ... charged the realtor 200 per tour. I figured it'd be a
                                              > good price since he had 7 properties he wanted shot. Now I'm
                                              > somewhat regretting the price cause I'm up to my ears in tours.

                                              As you discovered, you severely undercut yourself and, unwittingly,
                                              other Hawaiian tour providers who will forever more hear from that
                                              realtor that he/she gets VTs for $200 a pop. As you found, he/she got
                                              a steal from you. (Okay, you *would* have to bring up perhaps the
                                              only place even more expensive than the Bay Area...)

                                              My advice, and by the way Scott is absolutely right so re-read his
                                              post, is to take a hard look at your expenses and how much time it
                                              takes you to do your work from start to finish. Multiply your time by
                                              5 and your expenses by 3. That is, imagine you only get to work 8
                                              hours per week for which you are getting paid and the rest of the time
                                              is what you are doing to sustain and promote your business. Take your
                                              3x expenses and find out how much per hour that is. Then figure out
                                              how much time it takes per tour and multiply that by the hourly rate
                                              you calculated.

                                              So, for example, your mortgage/rent plus utilities is $2,000 per
                                              month, your software licensing and business licensing, vehicle costs,
                                              insurance, computer costs, your photography equipment costs (don't
                                              forget that you have depreciation and wear & tear on vehicles,
                                              computers, and photography equipment!), your tax liabilities, and so
                                              forth, all come up to an additional $3,000 per month, your total you
                                              need to survive each month is $5,000. Triple that is $15,000 (your
                                              goal). If you work 32 hours to get that $15,000 and it takes you two
                                              hours per tour, you would need 16 tours at $937.50 each to get there.
                                              However, just to break even it would take $312.50 per tour.

                                              But you aren't doing this as a non-profit. Retail typically marks up
                                              a MINIMUM of 100% for their pricing on average, and more if they can,
                                              to give you a comparison of markup. Further, you don't want to
                                              undercut your competition either; you probably won't if you use the
                                              formula I laid out. Better yet, use Scott's calculator.

                                              My prices are based on my requirements and my market. However, I also
                                              have streamlined my process so it takes about 10 to 15 minutes per
                                              360°, and just a couple of minutes for non-360° items. Also keep in
                                              mind in the less-expensive tours I'm not offering HDR or spherical
                                              tours which cuts out a lot of the pain-staking work. (FYI, my
                                              mortgage is just over $500 and I work from a home office, just to give
                                              you an idea to compare.)

                                              > Robert I like your site. Do you use picassa photos/plug in's for
                                              > your blog/site? Great work.

                                              Thank you. :c)

                                              No. I did use Picasa to create a 'photostack' of Polaroids a few
                                              times, and will continue to use it. I've used Picasa for a few other
                                              special effects, but really I don't use Picasa for anything.

                                              The site uses Joomla! and some flash (which is just there for eye
                                              candy). The template is from JoomlaShack. I also use SmugMug Pro
                                              http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=N2DVOMFMpBc1U which is AJAX-based and
                                              SlideShowPro http://www.slideshopro.net/ which is Flash-based and runs
                                              on my own server. However, neither of these are in use where I can
                                              demonstrate them. I'm working on it...

                                              FYI, the hosting costs me about $8 per month, the SlideShowPro was $86
                                              for all the bells and whistles, the template was $40, and SmugMug is
                                              $149/year, or just over $12/mo.

                                              > And too everyone else - let's keep this subject going. Sharing price
                                              > sheets, sharing experiences, and learning from each other.
                                              >
                                              > And if anyone from this forum is close to, or ever traveling to, San
                                              > Francisco ... give me a heads up so I can buy a lunch and drinks.

                                              I'll take you up on it one day. ;c)

                                              Best Wishes,
                                              Robert~

                                              P.S., I'll send you my rate sheets separately.

                                              --
                                              Mid GA: 478-599-1300
                                              ATL: 678-438-6955
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 17, 2008
                                                Thanks for the well thought out reply. Yeah ... I'm kicking my self
                                                for the low pricing cause I'm rendering like hell - but I'm still
                                                catching my balance in this business.

                                                I'm going to sit down tonight and use Scott's calculator and your
                                                advice ... and make some determinations.

                                                Thanks for the price sheet, that will help as well.

                                                I appreciate everyone's help on this.

                                                Eli Poblitz
                                                bayareavr.com
                                                bayareavr.net