Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
      T1 control points...
      We are left few...
      :c)

      Jürgen Eidt ha scritto:

      > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
      > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
      > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
      > > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
      > >
      > > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
      > > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
      > > sure... any input will be appreciated!
      >
      > For 360x180 you don't need any tripod based leveling at all. A leveler
      > or a
      > ballhead is useful for partial panoramic images to minimize the crop, but
      > for 360x180 you cover the whole sphere anyway.
      > The leveling is done later with t1 control points.
      >
      > Viele Grüße

    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
        FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
        outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
        have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
        thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
        Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
        BHPhoto:

        <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
        Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>

        Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
        Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
        it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
        it for a very fair price.

        John

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

        > On Mar 1, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Andrey Ilyin wrote:
        >
        >> I think that Acratech leveling base will give you the best possible
        >> combination of light weight, high load capacity and very small
        >> footprint - http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
          Heck, I forgot to mention that I also have a Kaidan leveling base! I
          seem to be an inadvertent collector of these things! I would be
          happy to part with the Kaidan too. It is in excellent condition.

          RE: leveling with the legs- I tried that for a good while because so
          many folks here recommend it. Drove me nuts trying to get a decent
          level with them. The tripod head with a built-in leveling head is
          soooo nice! I bought a Feisol CT-3442 with the optional leveling
          head and have been very happy with its light weight and rigidity.
          Not to mention costing waaaaay less than a Gitzo (and not being a
          Gitzo design rip-off like Benro.)

          John

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          jriley@...

          On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:08 PM, John Riley wrote:

          > FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
          > outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
          > have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
          > thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
          > Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
          > BHPhoto:
          >
          > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
          > Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>
          >
          > Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
          > Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
          > it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
          > it for a very fair price.
          >
          > John

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

            > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
            > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
            hands,
            > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
            with

            Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
            www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
            which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
            Manfrotto
            pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
            smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
            could
            maybe find on Ebay eventually
            http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

            If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce its
            footprint.

            Peter
          • brontvain
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
              so after all this feedback, i should sell the manfrotto i just
              bought.. by the pound

              i'll make a fortune

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@> wrote:
              > >
              > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
              > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
              > hands,
              > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos
              taken
              > with
              >

              > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
              > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
              > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
              > Manfrotto
              > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make
              > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
              > could
              > maybe find on Ebay eventually
              > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg
              >
              > If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce
              its
              > footprint.
              >
              > Peter

            • John Riley
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:26 PM, panovrx wrote:

                > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                > Manfrotto
                > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
                > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                > could
                > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

                Yep, that's the one I have and will sell. Mine looks much better
                cosmetically. He is right about how smooth they are - like butter.

                John Riley
                johnriley@...
                jriley@...

              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                  Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                  maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
                  Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
                  mirror.
                  I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
                  was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
                  really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                • listmail@mab3d.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                    On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                    > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
                    > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                    >
                    > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                    > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                    > with the
                    > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                    > at the
                    > mirror.

                    Care to teach me the trick?

                    > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

                    No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                    Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                    with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                    levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                    legs.

                    > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                    > that is a
                    > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                    I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                    many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                    bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                    Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                    good old days" of Feisol?

                    > John Riley ha scritto:

                    >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                    >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
                    >>> for
                    >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                    >>> it for a very fair price.

                    If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                    the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                    pieces.

                    -Mark
                  • Thomas Krueger
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                      After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                      integrated leveler.

                      Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                      http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
                    • Luca Vascon
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                        Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
                        everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
                        time...
                        I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
                        an hour to understand how it turns now.
                        I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

                        listmail@... ha scritto:

                        > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                        > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
                        > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
                        > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                        > >
                        > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                        > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                        > > with the
                        > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                        > > at the
                        > > mirror.
                        >
                        > Care to teach me the trick?
                        >
                        > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
                        >
                        > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                        > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                        > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                        > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                        > legs.
                        >
                        > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                        > > that is a
                        > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
                        >
                        > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                        > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                        > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                        > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                        > good old days" of Feisol?

                        > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                        > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                        > pieces.
                        >
                        > -Mark

                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                          VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
                          http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
                          However, mine is more SNOB!
                          :-DDDDDDDD

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                            wrote:

                            > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                            > integrated leveler.
                            >
                            > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                            > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                            Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                            Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                            geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                            leveling head.

                            I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                            arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                            Here it is
                            http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                            (without legs at the moment)
                            Peter