DXO for vignetting or not before PTGui ?

  • Vincèn Pujol
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I shoot my pictures for pano in RAW. I'd like to know if it's better
      to pass them through DXO for all corrections and mainly vignetting or
      not before I import them in PTGui ?

      Thanks in advance

      Vincèn
    • Victor
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Vincèn Pujol <mailing@...> wrote:

        > I shoot my pictures for pano in RAW. I'd like to know if it's better
        > to pass them through DXO for all corrections and mainly vignetting or
        > not before I import them in PTGui ?

        I use DxO as well. I think DxO does a better job of correcting the
        vignetting to the extent that it is lens specific, assuming you're
        using a lens supported by the program. The correction is hard-coded
        for lens, and if zoomable, for the zoom setting, etc. as read through
        EXIF. PTGui does an excellent job, but is calculating the correction
        on the fly and that may be affected by what's in the picture.

        I (generally) love the results I have gotten using DxO to convert from
        RAW though I haven't been entirely satisfied with the new release as
        it occasionally does some buggy things. In fact, I find I often
        use/try several different RAW conversion programs and techniques.
        Would be great to settle on a single workflow but each has strengths
        and weaknesses ... oh well, that's a different topic entirely!

        :-)

        Victor
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
          On Saturday, March 01, 2008 at 17:55, Victor wrote:

          > The correction is hard-coded for lens, and if zoomable, for the zoom
          > setting, etc. as read through EXIF.

          ...which gives a theoretical vignetting value without guarantee that
          this meets the real situation.

          > PTGui does an excellent job, but is calculating the correction on the
          > fly and that may be affected by what's in the picture.

          The algorithm (based on a paper by Pablo d'Angelo BTW), is pretty
          robust and gives very good results - and of course it works on the
          real vignetting, not a theoretical value.

          best regards