Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
      T1 control points...
      We are left few...
      :c)

      Jürgen Eidt ha scritto:

      > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
      > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
      > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
      > > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
      > >
      > > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
      > > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
      > > sure... any input will be appreciated!
      >
      > For 360x180 you don't need any tripod based leveling at all. A leveler
      > or a
      > ballhead is useful for partial panoramic images to minimize the crop, but
      > for 360x180 you cover the whole sphere anyway.
      > The leveling is done later with t1 control points.
      >
      > Viele Grüße

    • Juergen Schrader
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
        Sure one won't need a leveling base for sphericals, but it can be of
        great help if you have at least one reliably leveled picture.

        There is an item that really rocks and doesn't cost you too much
        extra weight. The only drawback is, that you need a newer Manfrotto
        055 tripod to use it. (There's also such a column available for the
        190 series).
        http://www.imaging-one.de/Stativzubehoer/Manfrotto/
        MA_555_MDeVe_Mittelsaeule.htm

        best
        juergen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

        > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
        > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
        hands,
        > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
        with
        > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
        >
        > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
        > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
        > sure... any input will be appreciated!
        >
        > Thanks in advance

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
          FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
          outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
          have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
          thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
          Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
          BHPhoto:

          <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
          Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>

          Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
          Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
          it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
          it for a very fair price.

          John

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          jriley@...

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
            Heck, I forgot to mention that I also have a Kaidan leveling base! I
            seem to be an inadvertent collector of these things! I would be
            happy to part with the Kaidan too. It is in excellent condition.

            RE: leveling with the legs- I tried that for a good while because so
            many folks here recommend it. Drove me nuts trying to get a decent
            level with them. The tripod head with a built-in leveling head is
            soooo nice! I bought a Feisol CT-3442 with the optional leveling
            head and have been very happy with its light weight and rigidity.
            Not to mention costing waaaaay less than a Gitzo (and not being a
            Gitzo design rip-off like Benro.)

            John

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

            On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:08 PM, John Riley wrote:

            > FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
            > outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
            > have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
            > thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
            > Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
            > BHPhoto:
            >
            > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
            > Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>
            >
            > Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
            > Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
            > it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
            > it for a very fair price.
            >
            > John

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

              > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
              > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
              hands,
              > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
              with

              Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
              www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
              which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
              Manfrotto
              pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
              smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
              could
              maybe find on Ebay eventually
              http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

              If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce its
              footprint.

              Peter
            • brontvain
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                so after all this feedback, i should sell the manfrotto i just
                bought.. by the pound

                i'll make a fortune

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                > hands,
                > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos
                taken
                > with
                >

                > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                > Manfrotto
                > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make
                > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                > could
                > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg
                >
                > If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce
                its
                > footprint.
                >
                > Peter

              • John Riley
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                  On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:26 PM, panovrx wrote:

                  > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                  > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                  > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                  > Manfrotto
                  > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
                  > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                  > could
                  > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                  > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

                  Yep, that's the one I have and will sell. Mine looks much better
                  cosmetically. He is right about how smooth they are - like butter.

                  John Riley
                  johnriley@...
                  jriley@...

                • Luca Vascon
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                    Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                    maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
                    Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
                    mirror.
                    I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
                    was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
                    really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                  • listmail@mab3d.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                      On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                      > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
                      > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                      >
                      > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                      > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                      > with the
                      > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                      > at the
                      > mirror.

                      Care to teach me the trick?

                      > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

                      No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                      Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                      with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                      levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                      legs.

                      > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                      > that is a
                      > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                      I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                      many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                      bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                      Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                      good old days" of Feisol?

                      > John Riley ha scritto:

                      >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                      >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
                      >>> for
                      >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                      >>> it for a very fair price.

                      If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                      the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                      pieces.

                      -Mark
                    • Thomas Krueger
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                        After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                        integrated leveler.

                        Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                        http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                          Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
                          everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
                          time...
                          I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
                          an hour to understand how it turns now.
                          I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

                          listmail@... ha scritto:

                          > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                          > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
                          > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
                          > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                          > >
                          > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                          > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                          > > with the
                          > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                          > > at the
                          > > mirror.
                          >
                          > Care to teach me the trick?
                          >
                          > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
                          >
                          > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                          > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                          > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                          > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                          > legs.
                          >
                          > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                          > > that is a
                          > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
                          >
                          > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                          > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                          > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                          > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                          > good old days" of Feisol?

                          > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                          > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                          > pieces.
                          >
                          > -Mark

                        • Luca Vascon
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                            VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
                            http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
                            However, mine is more SNOB!
                            :-DDDDDDDD

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                              wrote:

                              > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                              > integrated leveler.
                              >
                              > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                              > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                              Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                              Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                              geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                              leveling head.

                              I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                              arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                              Here it is
                              http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                              (without legs at the moment)
                              Peter