Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • Jürgen Eidt
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
      > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
      > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
      > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
      > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
      >
      > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
      > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
      > sure... any input will be appreciated!

      For 360x180 you don't need any tripod based leveling at all. A leveler or a
      ballhead is useful for partial panoramic images to minimize the crop, but
      for 360x180 you cover the whole sphere anyway.
      The leveling is done later with t1 control points.

      Viele Grüße
    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
        ok...
        http://www.berlebach.de/inhalte/produkte/stative/report/e_report.php?PHPSESSID=3e9929a1c23c747c49b1a64a7e1afd98#modelle1042
        :-)
        I use this.
        But I usa also a COMMON 190pro manfrotto.

        Andrey Ilyin ha scritto:

        > I think that Acratech leveling base will give you the best possible
        > combination of light weight, high load capacity and very small
        > footprint - http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k <http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k>
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
        > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
        > hands,
        > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
        > with
        > > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
        > >
        > > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
        > > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
        > > sure... any input will be appreciated!
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance

      • Luca Vascon
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
          T1 control points...
          We are left few...
          :c)

          Jürgen Eidt ha scritto:

          > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
          > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
          > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
          > > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
          > >
          > > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
          > > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
          > > sure... any input will be appreciated!
          >
          > For 360x180 you don't need any tripod based leveling at all. A leveler
          > or a
          > ballhead is useful for partial panoramic images to minimize the crop, but
          > for 360x180 you cover the whole sphere anyway.
          > The leveling is done later with t1 control points.
          >
          > Viele Grüße

        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

            > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?

            The MDEVE levelling column on some Manfrotto tripods and an option on a
            few others works very well and I can recommend it. It's completely
            invisible below the usual top mounting plate. Twist the knob at the
            base of the column to lock/unlock it. See http://tinyurl.com/2tnd4x

            John
          • Juergen Schrader
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
              Sure one won't need a leveling base for sphericals, but it can be of
              great help if you have at least one reliably leveled picture.

              There is an item that really rocks and doesn't cost you too much
              extra weight. The only drawback is, that you need a newer Manfrotto
              055 tripod to use it. (There's also such a column available for the
              190 series).
              http://www.imaging-one.de/Stativzubehoer/Manfrotto/
              MA_555_MDeVe_Mittelsaeule.htm

              best
              juergen

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

              > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
              > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
              hands,
              > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
              with
              > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
              >
              > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
              > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
              > sure... any input will be appreciated!
              >
              > Thanks in advance

            • John Riley
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
                outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
                have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
                thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
                Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
                BHPhoto:

                <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
                Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>

                Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
                it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                it for a very fair price.

                John

                John Riley
                johnriley@...
                jriley@...

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Heck, I forgot to mention that I also have a Kaidan leveling base! I
                  seem to be an inadvertent collector of these things! I would be
                  happy to part with the Kaidan too. It is in excellent condition.

                  RE: leveling with the legs- I tried that for a good while because so
                  many folks here recommend it. Drove me nuts trying to get a decent
                  level with them. The tripod head with a built-in leveling head is
                  soooo nice! I bought a Feisol CT-3442 with the optional leveling
                  head and have been very happy with its light weight and rigidity.
                  Not to mention costing waaaaay less than a Gitzo (and not being a
                  Gitzo design rip-off like Benro.)

                  John

                  John Riley
                  johnriley@...
                  jriley@...

                  On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:08 PM, John Riley wrote:

                  > FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
                  > outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
                  > have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
                  > thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
                  > Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
                  > BHPhoto:
                  >
                  > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
                  > Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>
                  >
                  > Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                  > Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
                  > it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                  > it for a very fair price.
                  >
                  > John

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

                    > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                    > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                    hands,
                    > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
                    with

                    Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                    www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                    which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                    Manfrotto
                    pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
                    smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                    could
                    maybe find on Ebay eventually
                    http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

                    If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce its
                    footprint.

                    Peter
                  • brontvain
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                      so after all this feedback, i should sell the manfrotto i just
                      bought.. by the pound

                      i'll make a fortune

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                      > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                      > hands,
                      > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos
                      taken
                      > with
                      >

                      > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                      > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                      > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                      > Manfrotto
                      > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make
                      > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                      > could
                      > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg
                      >
                      > If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce
                      its
                      > footprint.
                      >
                      > Peter

                    • John Riley
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                        On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:26 PM, panovrx wrote:

                        > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                        > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                        > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                        > Manfrotto
                        > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
                        > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                        > could
                        > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                        > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

                        Yep, that's the one I have and will sell. Mine looks much better
                        cosmetically. He is right about how smooth they are - like butter.

                        John Riley
                        johnriley@...
                        jriley@...

                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                          Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                          maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
                          Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
                          mirror.
                          I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
                          was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
                          really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                        • listmail@mab3d.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                            On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                            > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
                            > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                            >
                            > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                            > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                            > with the
                            > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                            > at the
                            > mirror.

                            Care to teach me the trick?

                            > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

                            No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                            Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                            with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                            levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                            legs.

                            > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                            > that is a
                            > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                            I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                            many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                            bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                            Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                            good old days" of Feisol?

                            > John Riley ha scritto:

                            >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                            >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
                            >>> for
                            >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                            >>> it for a very fair price.

                            If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                            the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                            pieces.

                            -Mark
                          • Thomas Krueger
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                              After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                              integrated leveler.

                              Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                              http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
                            • Luca Vascon
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                                Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
                                everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
                                time...
                                I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
                                an hour to understand how it turns now.
                                I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

                                listmail@... ha scritto:

                                > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                                > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
                                > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
                                > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                                > >
                                > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                                > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                                > > with the
                                > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                                > > at the
                                > > mirror.
                                >
                                > Care to teach me the trick?
                                >
                                > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
                                >
                                > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                                > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                                > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                                > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                                > legs.
                                >
                                > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                                > > that is a
                                > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
                                >
                                > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                                > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                                > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                                > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                                > good old days" of Feisol?

                                > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                                > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                                > pieces.
                                >
                                > -Mark

                              • Luca Vascon
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
                                  http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
                                  However, mine is more SNOB!
                                  :-DDDDDDDD

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                                    > integrated leveler.
                                    >
                                    > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                                    > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                                    Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                                    Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                                    geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                                    leveling head.

                                    I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                                    arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                                    Here it is
                                    http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                                    (without legs at the moment)
                                    Peter