Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • Andrey Ilyin
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1 8:38 AM
      I think that Acratech leveling base will give you the best possible
      combination of light weight, high load capacity and very small
      footprint - http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

      > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
      > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
      hands,
      > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
      with
      > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
      >
      > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
      > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
      > sure... any input will be appreciated!
      >
      > Thanks in advance

    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1 8:56 AM
        There is NO NEED of levelling if you take a spherical panorama in
        environments in which you can recognize vertical lines.
        For all the other application use a hot-shoe bubble leveller and level
        the TRIPOD LREGS having as reference the CAMERA!!!!!! just for the FIRST
        SHOT, that will be your reference one for
        Hugin or Ptgui projects. You will note the camera wobbling out of
        reference slightly while turning. No problem at all, it is normal!!
        :-)
        Sell that weight on eBay.

        brontvain ha scritto:

        > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
        > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
        > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
        > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
        >
        > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
        > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
        > sure... any input will be appreciated!
        >
        > Thanks in advance

      • Jürgen Eidt
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1 8:58 AM
          > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
          > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
          > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
          > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
          >
          > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
          > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
          > sure... any input will be appreciated!

          For 360x180 you don't need any tripod based leveling at all. A leveler or a
          ballhead is useful for partial panoramic images to minimize the crop, but
          for 360x180 you cover the whole sphere anyway.
          The leveling is done later with t1 control points.

          Viele Grüße
        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1 9:04 AM
            ok...
            http://www.berlebach.de/inhalte/produkte/stative/report/e_report.php?PHPSESSID=3e9929a1c23c747c49b1a64a7e1afd98#modelle1042
            :-)
            I use this.
            But I usa also a COMMON 190pro manfrotto.

            Andrey Ilyin ha scritto:

            > I think that Acratech leveling base will give you the best possible
            > combination of light weight, high load capacity and very small
            > footprint - http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k <http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k>
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
            > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
            > hands,
            > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
            > with
            > > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
            > >
            > > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
            > > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
            > > sure... any input will be appreciated!
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1 9:15 AM
              T1 control points...
              We are left few...
              :c)

              Jürgen Eidt ha scritto:

              > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
              > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
              > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
              > > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
              > >
              > > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
              > > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
              > > sure... any input will be appreciated!
              >
              > For 360x180 you don't need any tripod based leveling at all. A leveler
              > or a
              > ballhead is useful for partial panoramic images to minimize the crop, but
              > for 360x180 you cover the whole sphere anyway.
              > The leveling is done later with t1 control points.
              >
              > Viele Grüße

            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1 9:25 AM
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

                > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?

                The MDEVE levelling column on some Manfrotto tripods and an option on a
                few others works very well and I can recommend it. It's completely
                invisible below the usual top mounting plate. Twist the knob at the
                base of the column to lock/unlock it. See http://tinyurl.com/2tnd4x

                John
              • Juergen Schrader
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1 9:30 AM
                  Sure one won't need a leveling base for sphericals, but it can be of
                  great help if you have at least one reliably leveled picture.

                  There is an item that really rocks and doesn't cost you too much
                  extra weight. The only drawback is, that you need a newer Manfrotto
                  055 tripod to use it. (There's also such a column available for the
                  190 series).
                  http://www.imaging-one.de/Stativzubehoer/Manfrotto/
                  MA_555_MDeVe_Mittelsaeule.htm

                  best
                  juergen

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

                  > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                  > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                  hands,
                  > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
                  with
                  > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
                  >
                  > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
                  > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
                  > sure... any input will be appreciated!
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance

                • John Riley
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1 5:08 PM
                    FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
                    outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
                    have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
                    thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
                    Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
                    BHPhoto:

                    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
                    Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>

                    Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                    Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
                    it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                    it for a very fair price.

                    John

                    John Riley
                    johnriley@...
                    jriley@...

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1 5:26 PM
                      Heck, I forgot to mention that I also have a Kaidan leveling base! I
                      seem to be an inadvertent collector of these things! I would be
                      happy to part with the Kaidan too. It is in excellent condition.

                      RE: leveling with the legs- I tried that for a good while because so
                      many folks here recommend it. Drove me nuts trying to get a decent
                      level with them. The tripod head with a built-in leveling head is
                      soooo nice! I bought a Feisol CT-3442 with the optional leveling
                      head and have been very happy with its light weight and rigidity.
                      Not to mention costing waaaaay less than a Gitzo (and not being a
                      Gitzo design rip-off like Benro.)

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...
                      jriley@...

                      On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:08 PM, John Riley wrote:

                      > FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
                      > outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
                      > have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
                      > thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
                      > Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
                      > BHPhoto:
                      >
                      > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
                      > Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>
                      >
                      > Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                      > Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
                      > it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                      > it for a very fair price.
                      >
                      > John

                    • panovrx
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1 6:26 PM
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

                        > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                        > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                        hands,
                        > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
                        with

                        Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                        www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                        which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                        Manfrotto
                        pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
                        smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                        could
                        maybe find on Ebay eventually
                        http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

                        If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce its
                        footprint.

                        Peter
                      • brontvain
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 1 6:36 PM
                          so after all this feedback, i should sell the manfrotto i just
                          bought.. by the pound

                          i'll make a fortune

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                          > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                          > hands,
                          > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos
                          taken
                          > with
                          >

                          > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                          > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                          > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                          > Manfrotto
                          > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make
                          > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                          > could
                          > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                          > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg
                          >
                          > If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce
                          its
                          > footprint.
                          >
                          > Peter

                        • John Riley
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 1 6:42 PM
                            On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:26 PM, panovrx wrote:

                            > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                            > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                            > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                            > Manfrotto
                            > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
                            > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                            > could
                            > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                            > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

                            Yep, that's the one I have and will sell. Mine looks much better
                            cosmetically. He is right about how smooth they are - like butter.

                            John Riley
                            johnriley@...
                            jriley@...

                          • Luca Vascon
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 2 1:22 AM
                              Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                              maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
                              Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
                              mirror.
                              I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
                              was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
                              really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                            • listmail@mab3d.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 2 7:01 PM
                                On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                                > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
                                > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                                >
                                > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                                > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                                > with the
                                > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                                > at the
                                > mirror.

                                Care to teach me the trick?

                                > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

                                No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                                Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                                with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                                levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                                legs.

                                > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                                > that is a
                                > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                                I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                                many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                                bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                                Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                                good old days" of Feisol?

                                > John Riley ha scritto:

                                >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                                >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
                                >>> for
                                >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                                >>> it for a very fair price.

                                If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                                the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                                pieces.

                                -Mark
                              • Thomas Krueger
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 2 10:06 PM
                                  After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                                  integrated leveler.

                                  Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                                  http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
                                • Luca Vascon
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 3 12:38 AM
                                    Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
                                    everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
                                    time...
                                    I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
                                    an hour to understand how it turns now.
                                    I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

                                    listmail@... ha scritto:

                                    > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                    > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                                    > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
                                    > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
                                    > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                                    > >
                                    > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                                    > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                                    > > with the
                                    > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                                    > > at the
                                    > > mirror.
                                    >
                                    > Care to teach me the trick?
                                    >
                                    > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
                                    >
                                    > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                                    > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                                    > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                                    > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                                    > legs.
                                    >
                                    > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                                    > > that is a
                                    > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
                                    >
                                    > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                                    > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                                    > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                                    > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                                    > good old days" of Feisol?

                                    > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                                    > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                                    > pieces.
                                    >
                                    > -Mark

                                  • Luca Vascon
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 3 12:43 AM
                                      VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
                                      http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
                                      However, mine is more SNOB!
                                      :-DDDDDDDD

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 3 1:35 AM
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                                        > integrated leveler.
                                        >
                                        > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                                        > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                                        Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                                        Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                                        geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                                        leveling head.

                                        I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                                        arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                                        Here it is
                                        http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                                        (without legs at the moment)
                                        Peter