Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base

  • brontvain
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
      A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
      I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
      and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
      my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm

      Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
      I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
      sure... any input will be appreciated!

      Thanks in advance
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
        You may wish to try a ballhead. I have a 488, with excellent
        vertical/horizontal bubble levels. However, this also gives some impact. I
        also have a gitzo tripod with a bubble level just on the thread mount.
        Using a tripod with a built in level is your best bet for least profile.
        Then the only impact will be the legs and the inherent nn3 base. There's no
        need for perfect leveling, just pretty close is perfect.

        --

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
          I use a Manfrotto 438 - that works perfect witj a NN 2/ 3
          Ciao
          Mike
          http://www.360de.de

          A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
          I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
          and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
          my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm

          Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
          I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
          sure... any input will be appreciated!

          Thanks in advance

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          08:18

        • Andrey Ilyin
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
            I think that Acratech leveling base will give you the best possible
            combination of light weight, high load capacity and very small
            footprint - http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

            > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
            > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
            hands,
            > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
            with
            > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
            >
            > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
            > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
            > sure... any input will be appreciated!
            >
            > Thanks in advance

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
              There is NO NEED of levelling if you take a spherical panorama in
              environments in which you can recognize vertical lines.
              For all the other application use a hot-shoe bubble leveller and level
              the TRIPOD LREGS having as reference the CAMERA!!!!!! just for the FIRST
              SHOT, that will be your reference one for
              Hugin or Ptgui projects. You will note the camera wobbling out of
              reference slightly while turning. No problem at all, it is normal!!
              :-)
              Sell that weight on eBay.

              brontvain ha scritto:

              > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
              > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
              > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
              > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
              >
              > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
              > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
              > sure... any input will be appreciated!
              >
              > Thanks in advance

            • Jürgen Eidt
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
                > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
                > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
                >
                > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
                > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
                > sure... any input will be appreciated!

                For 360x180 you don't need any tripod based leveling at all. A leveler or a
                ballhead is useful for partial panoramic images to minimize the crop, but
                for 360x180 you cover the whole sphere anyway.
                The leveling is done later with t1 control points.

                Viele Grüße
              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                  ok...
                  http://www.berlebach.de/inhalte/produkte/stative/report/e_report.php?PHPSESSID=3e9929a1c23c747c49b1a64a7e1afd98#modelle1042
                  :-)
                  I use this.
                  But I usa also a COMMON 190pro manfrotto.

                  Andrey Ilyin ha scritto:

                  > I think that Acratech leveling base will give you the best possible
                  > combination of light weight, high load capacity and very small
                  > footprint - http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k <http://tinyurl.com/26dr9k>
                  >
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                  > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                  > hands,
                  > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
                  > with
                  > > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
                  > >
                  > > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
                  > > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
                  > > sure... any input will be appreciated!
                  > >
                  > > Thanks in advance

                • Luca Vascon
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                    T1 control points...
                    We are left few...
                    :c)

                    Jürgen Eidt ha scritto:

                    > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                    > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my hands,
                    > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken with
                    > > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
                    > >
                    > > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
                    > > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
                    > > sure... any input will be appreciated!
                    >
                    > For 360x180 you don't need any tripod based leveling at all. A leveler
                    > or a
                    > ballhead is useful for partial panoramic images to minimize the crop, but
                    > for 360x180 you cover the whole sphere anyway.
                    > The leveling is done later with t1 control points.
                    >
                    > Viele Grüße

                  • John Houghton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

                      > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?

                      The MDEVE levelling column on some Manfrotto tripods and an option on a
                      few others works very well and I can recommend it. It's completely
                      invisible below the usual top mounting plate. Twist the knob at the
                      base of the column to lock/unlock it. See http://tinyurl.com/2tnd4x

                      John
                    • Juergen Schrader
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                        Sure one won't need a leveling base for sphericals, but it can be of
                        great help if you have at least one reliably leveled picture.

                        There is an item that really rocks and doesn't cost you too much
                        extra weight. The only drawback is, that you need a newer Manfrotto
                        055 tripod to use it. (There's also such a column available for the
                        190 series).
                        http://www.imaging-one.de/Stativzubehoer/Manfrotto/
                        MA_555_MDeVe_Mittelsaeule.htm

                        best
                        juergen

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

                        > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                        > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                        hands,
                        > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
                        with
                        > my 40D, NN3 and Sigma 8mm
                        >
                        > Is there any smaller alternative to this leveling base?
                        > I saw the "EZ-Leveler" from the makers of nodal ninja but i'm not
                        > sure... any input will be appreciated!
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance

                      • John Riley
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                          FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
                          outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
                          have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
                          thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
                          Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
                          BHPhoto:

                          <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
                          Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>

                          Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                          Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
                          it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                          it for a very fair price.

                          John

                          John Riley
                          johnriley@...
                          jriley@...

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                            Heck, I forgot to mention that I also have a Kaidan leveling base! I
                            seem to be an inadvertent collector of these things! I would be
                            happy to part with the Kaidan too. It is in excellent condition.

                            RE: leveling with the legs- I tried that for a good while because so
                            many folks here recommend it. Drove me nuts trying to get a decent
                            level with them. The tripod head with a built-in leveling head is
                            soooo nice! I bought a Feisol CT-3442 with the optional leveling
                            head and have been very happy with its light weight and rigidity.
                            Not to mention costing waaaaay less than a Gitzo (and not being a
                            Gitzo design rip-off like Benro.)

                            John

                            John Riley
                            johnriley@...
                            jriley@...

                            On Mar 1, 2008, at 8:08 PM, John Riley wrote:

                            > FWIW - I have one of these Acratech leveling bases; it is really
                            > outstanding. The tightening knob does stick out a ways though. I
                            > have since gotten a tripod with a built-in leveling stage and am
                            > thinking of selling the Acratech. For a smaller footprint, I have a
                            > Linhof levelling head. It is the smaller brother of this one on
                            > BHPhoto:
                            >
                            > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31372-REG/
                            > Linhof_003664_Large_Leveling_Head.html>
                            >
                            > Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                            > Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy for
                            > it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                            > it for a very fair price.
                            >
                            > John

                          • panovrx
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@...> wrote:

                              > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                              > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                              hands,
                              > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos taken
                              with

                              Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                              www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                              which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                              Manfrotto
                              pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
                              smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                              could
                              maybe find on Ebay eventually
                              http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

                              If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce its
                              footprint.

                              Peter
                            • brontvain
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                                so after all this feedback, i should sell the manfrotto i just
                                bought.. by the pound

                                i'll make a fortune

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brontvain" <pablo@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > A few days ago I bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3416.
                                > > I hadn't realized how big and heavy it was until I held it in my
                                > hands,
                                > > and the worst is that it leaves a HUGE footprint on my panos
                                taken
                                > with
                                >

                                > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                                > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                                > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                                > Manfrotto
                                > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make
                                > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                                > could
                                > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                                > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg
                                >
                                > If a head is too big you could make an extension column to reduce
                                its
                                > footprint.
                                >
                                > Peter

                              • John Riley
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                                  On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:26 PM, panovrx wrote:

                                  > Linhof make a very nice (expensive) levelling head
                                  > www.bhphotovideo.com/images/smallimages/31372.jpg
                                  > which is super smooth and strong and the same diameter as the
                                  > Manfrotto
                                  > pano rotator -- which I use for tripod work. They also used to make a
                                  > smaller one which I have too which is very nice as well which you
                                  > could
                                  > maybe find on Ebay eventually
                                  > http://www.mediavr.com/linhof.jpg

                                  Yep, that's the one I have and will sell. Mine looks much better
                                  cosmetically. He is right about how smooth they are - like butter.

                                  John Riley
                                  johnriley@...
                                  jriley@...

                                • Luca Vascon
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                                    Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                                    maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling with the
                                    Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act at the
                                    mirror.
                                    I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo.... but I
                                    was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!! that is a
                                    really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                                  • listmail@mab3d.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                                      On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                      > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                                      > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
                                      > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                                      >
                                      > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                                      > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                                      > with the
                                      > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                                      > at the
                                      > mirror.

                                      Care to teach me the trick?

                                      > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....

                                      No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                                      Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                                      with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                                      levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                                      legs.

                                      > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                                      > that is a
                                      > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.

                                      I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                                      many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                                      bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                                      Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                                      good old days" of Feisol?

                                      > John Riley ha scritto:

                                      >>> Mine is an older version that is shiny metal instead of black. The
                                      >>> Linhof is nice, but my 360Precision + Fuji S2 were a little heavy
                                      >>> for
                                      >>> it. If you are interested in it, contact me off-list. I would sell
                                      >>> it for a very fair price.

                                      If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                                      the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                                      pieces.

                                      -Mark
                                    • Thomas Krueger
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                                        After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                                        integrated leveler.

                                        Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                                        http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm
                                      • Luca Vascon
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                                          Yes, I think I can teach you even from remote, and I can teach to
                                          everybody. I need to set up a kind of training video, so let me a bit of
                                          time...
                                          I'm one of those idiot that if you reverse a screw, they stay for half
                                          an hour to understand how it turns now.
                                          I was about to kill an SWC that was not even mine, that way!!!

                                          listmail@... ha scritto:

                                          > On Mar 2, 2008, at 6:46 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                          > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Re: Manfrotto 3416 Leveling Base
                                          > > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@...
                                          > <mailto:crimsonkingit%40yahoo.it> crimsonkingit
                                          > > Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 1:22 am ((PST))
                                          > >
                                          > > Levelling legs is a technique that requires training and practice, and
                                          > > maybe someone who teaches the trick. Like framing and levelling
                                          > > with the
                                          > > Rollei or Hasselblad without the prism, you have to think and act
                                          > > at the
                                          > > mirror.
                                          >
                                          > Care to teach me the trick?
                                          >
                                          > > I've more problems with coaxial locks like Feisol and Gitzo....
                                          >
                                          > No kidding, Luca. I've been struggling with the giant locks on the
                                          > Gitzo 1500 that came with the SpheroCam HDR (sigh... no t1 points
                                          > with a scan), so now I am just about to get one of those Acratech
                                          > levelers to put under the platform because I hate leveling with the
                                          > legs.
                                          >
                                          > > but I was out of money when Feisol were cheap and now I repent!!!
                                          > > that is a
                                          > > really good tripod, and a really good ballhead.
                                          >
                                          > I can attest to the old tripods being very well built, even after
                                          > many years of abuse and hard travel! The newer models are probably a
                                          > bit better, but at a significantly higher price. No more "better than
                                          > Manfrotto for the price of a Benro." Is it too early to pine for "the
                                          > good old days" of Feisol?

                                          > If a Fuji and a 360P are too much for it, the Spheron would be about
                                          > the same. Too bad, really... Linhof's are excellent mechanical art
                                          > pieces.
                                          >
                                          > -Mark

                                        • Luca Vascon
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                                            VERY COOL even veruy cool website.
                                            http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/BERLEBACH/REPORT9033/index.htm
                                            However, mine is more SNOB!
                                            :-DDDDDDDD

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
                                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Krueger" <krueger@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > After 20 years on Manfrotto 055 I switched to Gitzo GT2540LVL with
                                              > integrated leveler.
                                              >
                                              > Here are a couple of pictures, look at the leveler on picture 3:
                                              > http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3BEIN/GITZO/G2540LVL/index.htm

                                              Yes this is a very strong design concept. I have a giant old
                                              Bilora/Durst tripod that works like this except there is actually a
                                              geared elevating column that runs through the centre of the ball collar
                                              leveling head.

                                              I use it for car interior etc panoramas with a pole/counterweight
                                              arrangement mounted on top of it. Very useful for precise positioning.
                                              Here it is
                                              http://www.mediavr.com/durst.jpg
                                              (without legs at the moment)
                                              Peter