Re: [PanoToolsNG] [OT] - Linux advice for a soon to be noob

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 29, 2008
      On 01/03/2008, at 2:26 AM, Georgia Real Tours wrote:
      > However, I've heard rave reviews about Parallels

      Likewise.

      > http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
      > <http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/> and it is MUCH cheaper
      > than Fusion.
      >
      > But do you know what I want? What I really, really want? Leopard to
      > work on my laptop. Officially, anyway. Still too much Steve Jobs in
      > the company to let that happen. ;c)

      My "next" machine, when I *have* to replace my beloved 17" G4
      Powerbook will be one of Steve's new intel based ones (well maybe by
      then I'll be able to get a demo or second hand model ... ) and I'll
      put Linux on it as well. Dunno what I'll do about windows although I
      do need the damn thing to test things with :( VirtualPC while not
      brilliant does a reasonable if slow job under OS X without needing a
      re-boot.

      That's the main thing that irked me with multiple boot situations -
      reboot time and not being able to cut-and-paste from one os to the
      other. I know, I want too much ... just to be able to run everything
      on the same machine at the same time ... develop under my preferred
      os and check as I go on all the others ...

      After going through numerous Toshiba and Dell notebooks (mobility has
      always been a major factor, now a small power footprint is important
      too) I'm happy to pay the extra for the Apple pro line. The build
      quality and reliability is just so much better, and you don't have
      one component manufacturer blaming the other when things don't work,
      which is often what happened with diy desktop PC builds in the past,
      even expensive ones.

      Cheers,
      KathyW.
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 29, 2008
        On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:36 PM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...>
        wrote:

        > Likewise.
        >
        > > http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
        > > <http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/> and it is MUCH cheaper
        > > than Fusion.

        I use it It's so nice :-)

        > > But do you know what I want? What I really, really want? Leopard to
        > > work on my laptop. Officially, anyway.

        It works !!!
        Willy Kaemena was here in Rio and he saw mine runnign nice and smooth

        That's the main thing that irked me with multiple boot situations -
        > reboot time and not being able to cut-and-paste from one os to the
        > other. I know, I want too much ... just to be able to run everything
        > on the same machine at the same time ... develop under my preferred
        > os and check as I go on all the others ...

        PARALLELS do that exactly the way you want Kathy.
        You can drag something from MAC OS to windows OS and vice-versa

        > I'm happy to pay the extra for the Apple pro line. The build
        > quality and reliability is just so much better, and you don't have
        > one component manufacturer blaming the other when things don't work,

        My powerbooks ( I have 4) works perfectly for years
        And now I'm gonna buy the new macBook PRO

        > which is often what happened with diy desktop PC builds in the past,
        > even expensive ones.

        always :-)

        > Cheers,
        > KathyW.