Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Fwd: White Balance in Panoramas

  • Rodolpho Pajuaba
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 29, 2008
      Instead of using RGB masks, the real solution is to look at the "a" and
      "b" channels after converting a copy to Lab. If the problem is in the
      yellow>blue axis, you´ll very likely be able to build a very accurate
      mask from the "b" channel, and apply it to a top, differently-corrected,
      layer. Not magic, it´s just a matter of knowing the available tools.
      Regards,
      Rodolpho Pajuaba

      Nelson Mendes escreveu:
      > Shawn, that's what I call "time consuming" task. It's more or less the
      > way I'm doing the corrections (I use Photo Filter Adjustment layers in
      > CS3 and mask the parts I don't need) but the masks sometimes are hard
      > to do without using transparency gradients or the edges will show up
      > on some areas where the WB is correct. I was wondering if anyone had a
      > different (magic??) approach to this :)

    • Georgia Real Tours
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 29, 2008
        On 2/29/08, Eric O'Brien <ericob@...> wrote:

        > I have been including a neutral "gray"("grey") target every time I
        > shoot a panorama, for quite a while...

        Wow, Eric! One of the most helpful and informative posts I've read on
        this subject. :c) Cut-and-paste ready for the wiki, afaik.

        BTW, you're method of one extra shot in the pano with the neutral card
        is what I was envisioning. Nice to see I was headed down a working
        path. ;c)

        Thanks!

        Robert~

        --
        Mid GA: 478-599-1300
        ATL: 678-438-6955
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 29, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Mendes" <nmendes@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I work mainly with indoor panoramas, and what's been really a time
          > consuming effort in the creation of the panoramas is the white balance
          > compensation.

          Color correction is an area of active research and new technologies are
          emerging regularly -- so there are a plethora of thirdparty plugins for
          this some of which are superior I think to anything in Photoshop. The
          recently announced Viveza plugin from Nik Efex looks particularly
          interesting ...
          http://www.niksoftware.com/viveza/en/entry.php?
          view=intro/viveza_announcement.shtml

          Peter
        • William Donelson
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
            I prepared a hardback 8x11 notebook (with 100 pages of lined note paper) for colour
            balance & correction:

            I went to a charity shop, and bought an old black velvet dress to cut up for patches.

            I glued several pieces of the black velvet (with the "grain" in various directions) into the
            front cover. Now, when the camera sees it, some of the patches look dark black, and
            some look gray. The lined note paper looks white.

            You can also arranged for the front cover to be "in the shade" (of itself or of some other
            shadow) to get an even darker set of blacks.

            This gives us a very good range of blacks, grays and whites to use in Photoshop
            correction.

            And, the notepaper can be used to mark down info about the shot.

            Cheers
            William

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Eric O'Brien <ericob@...> wrote:

            > I have been including a neutral "gray"("grey") target every time I
            > shoot a panorama, for quite a while. Certainly in many artificial
            > (architectural) situations it can be difficult to find a *true*
            > neutral in the scene after the fact! (Whatever you click on with
            > Photoshop's "neutral picker" produces a horrible result.)

          • Snowy Aldon
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
              Hi All,

              any colour balance work requires a spectrally neutral target to
              balance from. One which has little or no florescent materials.

              The targets that William has suggested would work well for tonal
              adjustments but will almost certainly give colour casts under most
              conditions.

              >> I prepared a hardback 8x11 notebook (with 100 pages of lined note
              >> paper) for colour
              >> balance & correction:
              >>
              >> I went to a charity shop, and bought an old black velvet dress to
              >> cut up for patches.
              >>
              >> I glued several pieces of the black velvet (with the "grain" in
              >> various directions) into the
              >> front cover. Now, when the camera sees it, some of the patches
              >> look dark black, and
              >> some look gray. The lined note paper looks white

              It is best to use a calibrated target like a macbeth chart or a QP card.

              The placement of the target in the scene is very critical. In the
              example being used of the room lit with tungsten balanced lighting
              and also getting light from a window. the closer the neutral target
              is placed to the lamp the more tungsten light and the bluer the
              daylight and vice versa.

              The same effect will be present in a landscape. If the target is
              fully illuminated by the sun it will give a different result than in
              the shade.

              If you are on a lawn and the target is backlit so no sunlight is
              falling on the target and it is shaded from the blue sky, a major
              source of illumination will be bright green light from the lawn. If
              this is then used to "neutralise" the images a magenta cast will
              almost certainly be introduced.

              In the case of VR Panoramas one must "correct" the image so that it
              appears a faithful representation of the scene captured ( on a
              profiled monitor). This of course forms an integral part of the
              creative process. Relying on a mechanical approach to white balance
              of digital will not give the best results. these targets and useful
              guides when not used in the studio.

              Hope this helps

              best

              Snowy

              On 1 Mar 2008, at 13:33, William Donelson wrote:

              > .
              >
              > You can also arranged for the front cover to be "in the shade" (of
              > itself or of some other
              > shadow) to get an even darker set of blacks.
              >
              > This gives us a very good range of blacks, grays and whites to use
              > in Photoshop
              > correction.
              >
              > And, the notepaper can be used to mark down info about the shot.
              >
              > Cheers
              > William

            • William Donelson
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Snowy Aldon <lists@...> wrote:
                > The targets that William has suggested would work well for tonal
                > adjustments but will almost certainly give colour casts under most
                > conditions.
                Yes, you do have to be careful, and aware of reflections and other light sources, as you
                mention.

                But the technique I outlined has given us the best results we've had in 15 years of doing
                panoramas.

                Properly used, it never gives colour casts, or false colours, except in extreme circumstances.

                We tried using colour charts and grayscale charts, but these were essentially useless, as they
                are far too dependent on the lighting conditions.

                The "best black" can be achieved by building a box, lined with black velvet, and open on
                one side, so that the interior is completely unlit. But, we have found this to be unnecessary,
                except in unusual circumstances.
              • Snowy Aldon
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                  Hi,

                  I'm really interested in this technique.

                  The comments we're made as an extrapolation of colour management in
                  the studio and on location. I have been using various method and
                  targets with some success.

                  It seems strange that the velvet gives a neutral value when
                  illuminated to be in the mid-tone. I would have have supposed that
                  the colour bias of the dyes would become apparent and introduce a cast.

                  Do you colour balance/correct/neutralise to the velvet and adjust the
                  images to give an equal RGB value grey? And how does achieving a
                  truly "black" black give any information regarding the colour balance
                  of the image?

                  TIA

                  Snowy

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Snowy Aldon <lists@...> wrote:
                    > It seems strange that the velvet gives a neutral value when
                    > illuminated to be in the mid-tone. I would have have supposed that
                    > the colour bias of the dyes would become apparent and introduce a cast.

                    You have to be careful which patch of velvet you use. Some are not black.

                    > Do you colour balance/correct/neutralise to the velvet and adjust the
                    > images to give an equal RGB value grey? And how does achieving a
                    > truly "black" black give any information regarding the colour balance
                    > of the image?

                    We do not use the box-of-velvet anymore, as our "4 patches of velvet" at different
                    orientations works very well. Some of the patches look blacker than others, and some can
                    be used as gray-level samples.

                    Having an in-scene black is useful if you are shooting on film (as we usually do - Seitz
                    Super Roundshot 220).

                    Having specular (over-exposed) white patches are not useful, so we use a variety of
                    techniques in Photoshop to set the top white level.

                    In the end, the velvet-patches are a short-cut to getting NEAR to correct colour, and we
                    use Photoshop to adjust the colour to "Correct" levels by eye and memory.

                    Hope this helps.
                  • Rik Littlefield
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Snowy Aldon <lists@> wrote:
                      > > It seems strange that the velvet gives a neutral value when
                      > > illuminated to be in the mid-tone. I would have have supposed
                      > > that the colour bias of the dyes would become apparent
                      > > and introduce a cast.
                      >
                      > You have to be careful which patch of velvet you use.
                      > Some are not black.
                      >
                      > > Do you colour balance/correct/neutralise to the velvet
                      > > and adjust the images to give an equal RGB value grey?
                      > > And how does achieving a truly "black" black give any
                      > > information regarding the colour balance
                      > > of the image?
                      >
                      > We do not use the box-of-velvet anymore, as our
                      > "4 patches of velvet" at different orientations
                      > works very well. Some of the patches look blacker
                      > than others, and some can be used as gray-level samples.

                      Using black velvet this way is a very clever trick. What happens, I
                      believe, is that the "gray" appearance is caused by a myriad of
                      specular reflections from the surfaces of the fibers. Specular
                      reflections are always non-colored, so indeed this method should
                      produce a very neutral gray as long as the body of the fibers is very
                      dark in comparison.

                      --Rik
                    • johncharlesriley
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008

                        > Using black velvet this way is a very clever trick. What happens, I
                        > believe, is that the "gray" appearance is caused by a myriad of
                        > specular reflections from the surfaces of the fibers. Specular
                        > reflections are always non-colored, so indeed this method should
                        > produce a very neutral gray as long as the body of the fibers is very
                        > dark in comparison.
                        >
                        > --Rik

                        Sorry, I have to jump in here. I am not sure what you might be thinking of, but specular
                        reflections have the same color as the incident light. When you see yourself in a mirror,
                        that is a specular reflection. A specular reflection is simply when light is reflected in a
                        mirror-like fashion from a smooth surface. Examples are the glare off of a car (or water
                        or snow) from the sun. They are problematic because you are seeing a reflection of the
                        sun and not the object itself. Since specular reflections are partially polarized (or
                        completely if at Brewster's angle), polarized sunglasses can drastically reduce their
                        intensity. Then you can see the object itself by the diffusely reflected light, which is
                        scattered in all directions.

                        Sorry for being pedantic, but I am a physics professor and just can't help it 8-) Now, what
                        else might be going on with the fibers of black velvet, I don't know, but it could be
                        interesting to hear.

                        John
                      • Georgia Real Tours
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 8, 2008
                          On 3/7/08, johncharlesriley <johnriley@...> wrote:

                          > > Using black velvet this way is a very clever trick. What happens, I
                          > > believe, is that the "gray" appearance is caused by a myriad of
                          > > specular reflections from the surfaces of the fibers. Specular
                          > > reflections are always non-colored, so indeed this method should
                          > > produce a very neutral gray as long as the body of the fibers is very
                          > > dark in comparison.
                          > >
                          > > --Rik
                          > >

                          > Sorry, I have to jump in here. I am not sure what you might be thinking of, but specular
                          > reflections have the same color as the incident light. When you see yourself in a mirror,
                          > that is a specular reflection. A specular reflection is simply when light is reflected in a
                          > mirror-like fashion from a smooth surface. Examples are the glare off of a car (or water
                          > or snow) from the sun. They are problematic because you are seeing a reflection of the
                          > sun and not the object itself. Since specular reflections are partially polarized (or
                          > completely if at Brewster's angle), polarized sunglasses can drastically reduce their
                          > intensity. Then you can see the object itself by the diffusely reflected light, which is
                          > scattered in all directions.
                          >
                          > Sorry for being pedantic, but I am a physics professor and just can't help it 8-) Now, what
                          > else might be going on with the fibers of black velvet, I don't know, but it could be
                          > interesting to hear.

                          Exactly. The grain of the fabric acts as a rudimentary polarization
                          filter. Further, since it is diffuse, the light reflected is a
                          culmination of the ambient light in the room. The average of all
                          those random specular reflections is what is sought.

                          But you knew that and were just testing us! Very tricky, Mr. Riley,
                          but it's turtles all the way down!

                          ;c)

                          R~

                          --
                          Mid GA: 478-599-1300
                          ATL: 678-438-6955
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 8, 2008
                            I get that :-)

                            [stuff deleted]

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 8, 2008
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "johncharlesriley"
                              <johnriley@...> wrote:

                              > > Using black velvet this way is a very clever trick.
                              > > What happens, I believe, is that the "gray" appearance
                              > > is caused by a myriad of specular reflections
                              > > from the surfaces of the fibers. Specular
                              > > reflections are always non-colored, so indeed
                              > > this method should produce a very neutral gray
                              > > as long as the body of the fibers is very
                              > > dark in comparison.
                              > >
                              > > --Rik
                              > >

                              > Sorry, I have to jump in here. I am not sure what
                              > you might be thinking of, but specular reflections
                              > have the same color as the incident light.

                              Yes, exactly. Previous writers were concerned about the color of the
                              fibers producing something other than a non-neutral gray. When I
                              wrote that the reflection was "non-colored", what I meant was that
                              the color of the reflected light would not be altered by the color of
                              the underlying fiber, so the myriad of specular reflections taken
                              together would act like a neutral gray diffuse reflector. Sorry I
                              did not use enough words to make that completely clear.

                              --Rik
                            • Georgia Real Tours
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 10, 2008
                                On 3/9/08, Rik Littlefield <rj.littlefield@...> wrote:

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "johncharlesriley"
                                > <johnriley@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > Using black velvet this way is a very clever trick.
                                > > > What happens, I believe, is that the "gray" appearance
                                > > > is caused by a myriad of specular reflections
                                > > > from the surfaces of the fibers. Specular
                                > > > reflections are always non-colored, so indeed
                                > > > this method should produce a very neutral gray
                                > > > as long as the body of the fibers is very
                                > > > dark in comparison.
                                > > >
                                > > > --Rik
                                > > >

                                > > Sorry, I have to jump in here. I am not sure what
                                > > you might be thinking of, but specular reflections
                                > > have the same color as the incident light.
                                >

                                > together would act like a neutral gray diffuse reflector. Sorry I
                                > did not use enough words to make that completely clear.

                                Oops, my bad. You used enough words; I just failed to use all of
                                them. Kinda makes a difference when you get 'em all rounded up. :c\

                                R~

                                --
                                Mid GA: 478-599-1300
                                ATL: 678-438-6955
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 10, 2008
                                  I simply use a white plastic drinking cup.
                                  One of those very cheap ones you buy at supermarket.
                                  I put it in front of the lens with transparent tape.
                                  I shoot one picture against main lightsource, completely out of focus.
                                  Like it was taking incident light.
                                  I make white on that.
                                  Those things are made of a plastic whose physical propreiety is also to
                                  be... perfectly white.
                                  If you fisheye-shoot one from inside you have a kind of light dome of
                                  all light sources and principal chrominance of light reflection.
                                  You don't need anything else.