Re: [PanoToolsNG] [OT] - Linux advice for a soon to be noob

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 29, 2008
      On 29/02/2008, at 4:56 PM, Georgia Real Tours wrote:
      > Simple. If (when) you trash the install, you can literally start anew
      > in under an hour.

      (scratches head) don't you mean when (not if) windows sh!ts itself
      and scribbles all over the hard drive that your Linux drive is still
      intact and operable?

      > If you are new to Linux, you are eventually going
      > to do something simple that toasts the install. It's natural, and
      > part of the learning process.

      Sorry Robert, can't agree there. I've installed numerous versions of
      Red Hat and Suse, in multiple boot situations with windows and OS2
      Warp (before OS X [FreeBSD Unix] "came of age" ) and the only thing I
      ever "toasted" was CDs on the poor old G3 ("Toast" CD writer ;-) .
      Unless you do something like an rm -rf at / as root, or run
      everything as root, you're really not that likely to do that much
      damage. That's the whole unix/linux security model. You do not run
      ANYTHING as root unless it HAS to (unless you are really, really,
      stupid).

      I've not installed linux for a number of years and it sounds like,
      with variants like Ubuntu (sp?) things are a LOT easier than they
      used to be. I still miss Enlightnement and multiple virtual desktops.
      Leopards "spaces" is still not quite the same.

      Ah the nostalgia ...

      Cheers,
      KathyW.

      Oh, and if your boot manager claims it cannot find the linux drive
      after the windows install ... IT LIES!! Unfortunately I cannot
      remember the simple trick to get around it ...
    • Georgia Real Tours
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 29, 2008
        On 2/29/08, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

        > On 29/02/2008, at 4:56 PM, Georgia Real Tours wrote:
        > > Simple. If (when) you trash the install, you can literally start anew
        > > in under an hour.
        >
        > (scratches head) don't you mean when (not if) windows sh!ts itself
        > and scribbles all over the hard drive that your Linux drive is still
        > intact and operable?

        Yeah, that too. :D

        > > If you are new to Linux, you are eventually going
        > > to do something simple that toasts the install. It's natural, and
        > > part of the learning process.
        >
        > Sorry Robert, can't agree there. I've installed numerous versions of
        > Red Hat and Suse, in multiple boot situations with windows and OS2
        > Warp (before OS X [FreeBSD Unix] "came of age" ) and the only thing I
        > ever "toasted" was CDs on the poor old G3 ("Toast" CD writer ;-) .
        > Unless you do something like an rm -rf at / as root, or run
        > everything as root, you're really not that likely to do that much
        > damage. That's the whole unix/linux security model. You do not run
        > ANYTHING as root unless it HAS to (unless you are really, really,
        > stupid).

        Well, you'r right. If you don't tinker, you're not going to botch
        it. But beginners tend to have accidents, especially when
        experimenting. Thankfully, it IS safer these days where in some cases
        root isn't even an option. Still, better going in thinking
        something's going to happen and be prepared for it (and proud when it
        doesn't) than to not be prepared and it does happen. :(

        > I've not installed linux for a number of years and it sounds like,
        > with variants like Ubuntu (sp?) things are a LOT easier than they
        > used to be. I still miss Enlightnement and multiple virtual desktops.
        > Leopards "spaces" is still not quite the same.

        I looked for VMWare Player for Mac, but there doesn't seem to be one.
        However, I've heard rave reviews about Parallels
        http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
        <http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/> and it is MUCH cheaper
        than Fusion.

        But do you know what I want? What I really, really want? Leopard to
        work on my laptop. Officially, anyway. Still too much Steve Jobs in
        the company to let that happen. ;c)

        > Oh, and if your boot manager claims it cannot find the linux drive
        > after the windows install ... IT LIES!! Unfortunately I cannot
        > remember the simple trick to get around it ...

        What, something regarding Windows LIES? Say it isn't so!

        You and I both. Last time I encountered this I just used the boot CD
        to fix it. Yuv's solution works, it's just not the easiest or safest
        (backing up the MBR is *always* recommended however). Before that, I
        think I mounted the harddrive with another install and fixed it there.
        That's going back awhile, since before getting VMWare workstation 6
        when it first came out.

        R~

        --
        Mid GA: 478-599-1300
        ATL: 678-438-6955
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 29, 2008
          On 01/03/2008, at 2:26 AM, Georgia Real Tours wrote:
          > However, I've heard rave reviews about Parallels

          Likewise.

          > http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
          > <http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/> and it is MUCH cheaper
          > than Fusion.
          >
          > But do you know what I want? What I really, really want? Leopard to
          > work on my laptop. Officially, anyway. Still too much Steve Jobs in
          > the company to let that happen. ;c)

          My "next" machine, when I *have* to replace my beloved 17" G4
          Powerbook will be one of Steve's new intel based ones (well maybe by
          then I'll be able to get a demo or second hand model ... ) and I'll
          put Linux on it as well. Dunno what I'll do about windows although I
          do need the damn thing to test things with :( VirtualPC while not
          brilliant does a reasonable if slow job under OS X without needing a
          re-boot.

          That's the main thing that irked me with multiple boot situations -
          reboot time and not being able to cut-and-paste from one os to the
          other. I know, I want too much ... just to be able to run everything
          on the same machine at the same time ... develop under my preferred
          os and check as I go on all the others ...

          After going through numerous Toshiba and Dell notebooks (mobility has
          always been a major factor, now a small power footprint is important
          too) I'm happy to pay the extra for the Apple pro line. The build
          quality and reliability is just so much better, and you don't have
          one component manufacturer blaming the other when things don't work,
          which is often what happened with diy desktop PC builds in the past,
          even expensive ones.

          Cheers,
          KathyW.
        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 29, 2008
            On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:36 PM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...>
            wrote:

            > Likewise.
            >
            > > http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
            > > <http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/> and it is MUCH cheaper
            > > than Fusion.

            I use it It's so nice :-)

            > > But do you know what I want? What I really, really want? Leopard to
            > > work on my laptop. Officially, anyway.

            It works !!!
            Willy Kaemena was here in Rio and he saw mine runnign nice and smooth

            That's the main thing that irked me with multiple boot situations -
            > reboot time and not being able to cut-and-paste from one os to the
            > other. I know, I want too much ... just to be able to run everything
            > on the same machine at the same time ... develop under my preferred
            > os and check as I go on all the others ...

            PARALLELS do that exactly the way you want Kathy.
            You can drag something from MAC OS to windows OS and vice-versa

            > I'm happy to pay the extra for the Apple pro line. The build
            > quality and reliability is just so much better, and you don't have
            > one component manufacturer blaming the other when things don't work,

            My powerbooks ( I have 4) works perfectly for years
            And now I'm gonna buy the new macBook PRO

            > which is often what happened with diy desktop PC builds in the past,
            > even expensive ones.

            always :-)

            > Cheers,
            > KathyW.