Difficulties getting Enfuse Auto Align droplet to work

  • Carlos Chegado
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
      Hi,

      I am having difficulties getting the Enfuse Auto Align droplet to
      produce usable images (I mean aligned images to stitch)!
      I have some panos that I shot inside a church using a Canon 5D/Tokina
      107 on top of a 7m pole that I want to Enfuse but since the pole wasn't
      steady enough, there is a slight misalignment on the images, I thought
      using the Auto Align droplet would fix this but it doesn't!
      Has anyone got good results using this particular droplet?
      I did tests using images shot with other cameras and also found
      alignment problems in the enfused images!
      May be I am doing something wrong, I just don't get it!
      All other Enfuse droplets work very well, it's just this alignment
      feature that I can't make it work has I think it should!
      Is there a better was to enfuse misaligned images in example shot hand
      held that works better than the Auto Align Droplet?

      --

      Os melhores cumprimentos,
      Best regards,

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Carlos Chegado

      Olho de Peixe Lda

      ====================================

    • Yuval Levy
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
        Carlos Chegado wrote:
        > Is there a better was to enfuse misaligned images in example shot hand
        > held that works better than the Auto Align Droplet?

        load all the images in the latest hugin, output enfused. you might have
        to re-render and blend zenith and nadir with a numeric transform,
        though, because enfuse is not yet aware of the zenith / nadir of
        equirectangulars.

        Yuv
      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
          Carlos I had the same problem shooting inside a shopping mall,
          and having the camera at 8 meters high.

          So I finally decide to go with three different exports from the same RAW
          file and then taking it to ENFUSE using the wonderfull Bracketeer from
          Brian's Pangea Software.

          Cheers

          AYRTON

          On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Carlos Chegado <carloschegado@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am having difficulties getting the Enfuse Auto Align droplet to
          > produce usable images (I mean aligned images to stitch)!
          > I have some panos that I shot inside a church using a Canon 5D/Tokina
          > 107 on top of a 7m pole that I want to Enfuse but since the pole wasn't
          > steady enough, there is a slight misalignment on the images, I thought
          > using the Auto Align droplet would fix this but it doesn't!
          > Has anyone got good results using this particular droplet?
          > I did tests using images shot with other cameras and also found
          > alignment problems in the enfused images!
          > May be I am doing something wrong, I just don't get it!
          > All other Enfuse droplets work very well, it's just this alignment
          > feature that I can't make it work has I think it should!
          > Is there a better was to enfuse misaligned images in example shot hand
          > held that works better than the Auto Align Droplet?
          >

          > --
          >
          > Os melhores cumprimentos,
          > Best regards,
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          >
          > Carlos Chegado
          >
          > Olho de Peixe Lda
          >
          > ====================================

          A Y R T O N
          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • Milko K. Amorth
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
            Hi Carlos,

            Don't expect too much from align_image stack, just yet. It has its
            limitations.
            First of all you need to understand that this tool was really designed
            for correcting TCA in rectlinear projections.
            It is part of the Hugin tool set. Only recently it has been resurrected
            for the purpose of aligning handhelds and is used for it.

            The new built for windows will hopefully have option parameter -e for
            fisheye projections, which I know Seb has already
            updated to the library. When that snapshot will be available I dont
            know....it all depends on the courtesy of the hugin open source community
            and willingness to issue a windows snapshot of their predominantly Linux
            tool suite. I suspect that the Linux version works better.

            I have done a test with some test files from Peter Murphy in January to
            include align_image _stack and just did update that same process
            with a modified enfuse_auto_droplet for stack folders.

            http://360image.de/test/align_enfuse.htm

            Cheers, Milko
          • Yuval Levy
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008

              available at <http://panospace.wordpress.com/downloads/>

              > http://360image.de/test/align_enfuse.htm

              scroll down to the "Failed Alert". align_image_stack version 0.7.0.2587

              if you have the latest package I built, running align_image_stack
              without arguments should report version 0.7.0.2856

              there is reportedly at least one other issue with EXIF data. Phil
              Harvey, the author of exiftool, is expected to correct it in the next
              release. When we have exiftool 7.19 for Windows I'll take the time to
              build an updated package.

              Yuv
            • Milko K. Amorth
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
                Hi Yuv,

                > if you have the latest package I built, running align_image_ stack
                > without arguments should report version 0.7.0.2856

                Thanks. Just updated to the newest built and have redone the test with
                the -e modifier option and got no change.
                The ~20 pixel offset works well, the up to 100 pixel offset failed.
                Comparison link is updated accordingly.

                > there is reportedly at least one other issue with EXIF data. Phil
                > Harvey, the author of exiftool, is expected to correct it in the next
                > release. When we have exiftool 7.19 for Windows I'll take the time to
                > build an updated package.

                I noticed that too....deleting exif annotations with PS export to web
                fixed that issue.

                Cheers, Milko
              • Yuval Levy
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
                  Hi Milko,

                  Milko K. Amorth wrote:
                  > Thanks. Just updated to the newest built and have redone the test with
                  > the -e modifier option and got no change.

                  :(

                  I just sent you off-list the latest version of align_image_stack - even
                  newer than the one that is in the enblend-enfuse installer. Can you
                  please try it and report back?

                  I expect that the results will be the same, indicating the limit of this
                  method. Hence my initial reccommendation to Carlos: drop all the images
                  on hugin and let it produce the enfuse pano in one go.

                  <http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/enfuse-360/>

                  If you find an improvement, I might have to release a newer
                  enfuse-enblend installer earlier than planned...

                  Yuv
                • Milko K. Amorth
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
                    Hi Yuv,

                    > I just sent you off-list the latest version of align_image_ stack - even
                    > newer than the one that is in the enblend-enfuse installer. Can you
                    > please try it and report back?

                    Sure. Did not do it either. I have sent you the alerts. It seems it does
                    not work above a +20 pixel canvas buffer with this test.
                    Did not really to expect it either. I am already surprised what it does
                    in the smaller range beyond TCA correction.
                    The coninuos fast frame per second shooting method will help to minimize
                    offsets as Peters samples have shown.

                    Did not try it in Linux , but why should it be any different? Its the
                    same exe, is it not?

                    > I expect that the results will be the same, indicating the limit of this
                    > method. Hence my initial reccommendation to Carlos: drop all the images
                    > on hugin and let it produce the enfuse pano in one go.

                    Yes, right. An LDR pano plane stitch and enfuse will do it in Hugin as
                    well as in PTgui.

                    > If you find an improvement, I might have to release a newer
                    > enfuse-enblend installer earlier than planned...

                    I am affraid not...

                    Cheers, Milko
                  • Bruno Postle
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
                      On Mon 25-Feb-2008 at 15:44 -0800, Milko K. Amorth wrote:

                      >> I just sent you off-list the latest version of align_image_ stack - even
                      >> newer than the one that is in the enblend-enfuse installer. Can you
                      >> please try it and report back?

                      >Did not really to expect it either. I am already surprised what it does
                      >in the smaller range beyond TCA correction.

                      Actually align_image_stack was devised for handheld bracketed
                      stacks. I wrote a patch for TCA correction (which worked very well
                      indeed), but it didn't get applied because what is really needed is
                      a generic solution that can be used for all kinds of stack alignment
                      tasks.

                      --
                      Bruno
                    • Milko K. Amorth
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 25, 2008
                        Hi Bruno,

                        > Actually align_image_ stack was devised for handheld bracketed
                        > stacks. I wrote a patch for TCA correction (which worked very well
                        > indeed), but it didn't get applied because what is really needed is
                        > a generic solution that can be used for all kinds of stack alignment
                        > tasks.

                        Thanks for choking down that rumor that it was developed for TCA
                        initially :-)
                        Have you got any maximum cp distance value experience with this tool
                        from your test drives.
                        How big can the shake or offset be? Any guess?

                        Cheers, Milko
                      • Bruno Postle
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                          On Mon 25-Feb-2008 at 16:12 -0800, Milko K. Amorth wrote:

                          >Have you got any maximum cp distance value experience with this tool
                          >from your test drives.
                          >How big can the shake or offset be? Any guess?

                          This is hardcoded in align_image_stack, it has the equivalent to
                          these hugin settings:

                          Local search area width: 100 pixels
                          Patch width: 20 pixels

                          ..so my guess is that it will find points with ± 40 pixels
                          displacement (untested). I'm not sure that rotation search is
                          enabled so probably any rotation over 10° will result in
                          significantly less matches too.

                          Though recent versions downscale the image to 50% then divide it up
                          into a 5x5 grid - this has the potential to reduce the number of
                          matches with large displacement images, so I would try changing the
                          grid size (ie. add a '-g 2' parameter to align_image_stack) and see
                          if that makes any difference.

                          --
                          Bruno
                        • Bruno Postle
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                            On Tue 26-Feb-2008 at 09:20 +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:
                            >On Mon 25-Feb-2008 at 16:12 -0800, Milko K. Amorth wrote:
                            >
                            >>How big can the shake or offset be? Any guess?

                            >..so my guess is that it will find points with ± 40 pixels
                            >displacement (untested).

                            Hmmm, with my relatively low resolution Peleng/D100 setup this is
                            equivalent to around ± 2°, and looking at a couple of recent
                            projects I have never more than 1° variation between handheld
                            bracketed photos.

                            So these defaults would be ideal for me, but not for somebody with a
                            narrower lens, more megapixels or a slightly less steady hand.

                            This is all hand-waving, I'm actually using autopano-sift-C /
                            match-n-shift / hugin / enfuse for this type of thing:

                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/36383814@N00/archives/date-taken/2008/02/07/

                            --
                            Bruno
                          • Carlos Chegado
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                              Bruno,

                              Yes, it may work for you but I am using a Canon 5D / Tokina 107 on top
                              of a 7m pole that wobbles very much so may be offset is too much for
                              this script to handle!
                              If there is a way to change the settings it would be great to test if I
                              can make it work with my pictures.

                              Os melhores cumprimentos,
                              Best regards,

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                              Carlos Chegado

                              Olho de Peixe Lda

                              ====================================

                              ====================================

                              Bruno Postle escreveu:

                              > On Tue 26-Feb-2008 at 09:20 +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:
                              > >On Mon 25-Feb-2008 at 16:12 -0800, Milko K. Amorth wrote:
                              > >
                              > >>How big can the shake or offset be? Any guess?
                              >
                              > >..so my guess is that it will find points with ± 40 pixels
                              > >displacement (untested).
                              >
                              > Hmmm, with my relatively low resolution Peleng/D100 setup this is
                              > equivalent to around ± 2°, and looking at a couple of recent
                              > projects I have never more than 1° variation between handheld
                              > bracketed photos.
                              >
                              > So these defaults would be ideal for me, but not for somebody with a
                              > narrower lens, more megapixels or a slightly less steady hand.
                              >
                              > This is all hand-waving, I'm actually using autopano-sift-C /
                              > match-n-shift / hugin / enfuse for this type of thing:
                              >
                              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/36383814@N00/archives/date-taken/2008/02/07/
                              > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/36383814@N00/archives/date-taken/2008/02/07/>
                              >
                              > --
                              > Bruno

                            • Bruno Postle
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                On Tue 26-Feb-2008 at 10:06 +0000, Carlos Chegado wrote:

                                >Yes, it may work for you but I am using a Canon 5D / Tokina 107 on top
                                >of a 7m pole that wobbles very much so may be offset is too much for
                                >this script to handle!
                                >If there is a way to change the settings it would be great to test if I
                                >can make it work with my pictures.

                                Sorry, it's just a matter of finding and changing the only '100' in
                                align_image_stack.cpp and recompiling, but you need to find somebody
                                with a Windows hugin build-chain to do this.

                                Doubling this value will make it run four times slower, so it really
                                needs to be made a configurable option if at all (for most other
                                tasks '100' is too high a value anyway).

                                I'm sure that if somebody wrote a patch to make this an option then
                                it would be applied very quickly.

                                >Bruno Postle escreveu:
                                >>
                                >> So these defaults would be ideal for me, but not for somebody with a
                                >> narrower lens, more megapixels or a slightly less steady hand.

                                --
                                Bruno
                              • Carel Struycken
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carlos Chegado <carloschegado@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Bruno,
                                  >
                                  > Yes, it may work for you but I am using a Canon 5D / Tokina 107 on top
                                  > of a 7m pole that wobbles very much so may be offset is too much for
                                  > this script to handle!
                                  > If there is a way to change the settings it would be great to test if I
                                  > can make it work with my pictures.
                                  >
                                  > Os melhores cumprimentos,
                                  > Best regards,
                                  >
                                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                  >
                                  > Carlos Chegado
                                  >
                                  > Olho de Peixe Lda
                                  >
                                  > ====================================

                                  I had similar issues but thought it was user (me) stupidity. BTW, are
                                  there any special issues for alignment with fisheyes? Is there a
                                  reason why PS CS3 auto-align would not work or would not work as well?
                                  Apart from not being open source of course :-)

                                  Carel
                                • Milko K. Amorth
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                    Hi Carlos,

                                    Just out of curiosity...what's your OS, sticher software and what focal
                                    lenght are you shooting the tokina107 on your 5D at? Is the lens shaved?

                                    Cheers, Milko
                                  • Milko K. Amorth
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                      Hi Bruno,

                                      > Though recent versions downscale the image to 50% then divide it up
                                      > into a 5x5 grid - this has the potential to reduce the number of
                                      > matches with large displacement images, so I would try changing the
                                      > grid size (ie. add a '-g 2' parameter to align_image_ stack) and see
                                      > if that makes any difference.

                                      Thanks for the insight. I have tried to scale -s0 (in hope it would not
                                      scale) and grid -g2 , but to no avail.
                                      It stops working beyond a 20 pixel (buffer) play between the input
                                      images. Good enough for now.

                                      Some options are not documented ie: -s, -g and -l or i could not find
                                      documentation on it.

                                      I like your stereographic projections of your handhelds.
                                      In front of a statue and projected like that gives the statue a nice
                                      spherical dimension.

                                      Cheers, Milko
                                    • Carlos Chegado
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                        It´s a shaved Tokina 107 used at about 12.5mm focal length to fill as
                                        much as possible the frame on the Canon 5D.
                                        I am using Windows XP and PTGui.

                                        Os melhores cumprimentos,
                                        Best regards,

                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                        Carlos Chegado

                                        Olho de Peixe Lda

                                        ====================================

                                        ====================================

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                          On Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 19:00, Carel Struycken wrote:

                                          > I had similar issues but thought it was user (me) stupidity. BTW, are
                                          > there any special issues for alignment with fisheyes? Is there a
                                          > reason why PS CS3 auto-align would not work or would not work as well?

                                          Yes, of course. Fisheye mapping is not linear hence you can't simply
                                          shift the images.

                                          If you shoot a (checkerboard) tiled floor straight down with a normal
                                          (rectilinear) lens alle tiles are the same size. You can shift the
                                          image by one tile and all tiles will match. This is no possible with
                                          a fisheye, because the tiles are not only different in size but not
                                          rectangular, too.

                                          best regards
                                        • Bruno Postle
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                            On Tue 26-Feb-2008 at 11:21 -0800, Milko K. Amorth wrote:

                                            >Thanks for the insight. I have tried to scale -s0 (in hope it would not
                                            >scale) and grid -g2 , but to no avail.
                                            >It stops working beyond a 20 pixel (buffer) play between the input
                                            >images. Good enough for now.

                                            Thinking again, increasing the amount of downscaling should
                                            effectively increase the search area, so '-s 2' ought to do exactly
                                            what you need.

                                            >Some options are not documented ie: -s, -g and -l or i could not find
                                            >documentation on it.

                                            The usage looks like this:

                                            -l Assume linear input files
                                            -s scale Scale down image by 2^scale (default: 1 [2x downsampling])
                                            -g gsize Break image into a rectangular grid (gsize x gsize) and attempt to find
                                            num control points in each section (default: 5 [5x5 grid] )

                                            (by linear input it means scene-referenced gamma=1 data)

                                            >I like your stereographic projections of your handhelds.

                                            Thanks!

                                            --
                                            Bruno
                                          • Milko K. Amorth
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                              Hi Erik,

                                              > Yes, of course. Fisheye mapping is not linear hence you can't simply
                                              > shift the images.

                                              In case of the stacking it seems to work fairly well. I took the same
                                              input sources and imported them to layers, initiated an auto align
                                              layers process and exported layers to files.
                                              Tokk thes files in enfuse and got a good result. Auto align shifted and
                                              rotated the layers.
                                              The comparison is updated to see the results at:
                                              http://360image.de/test/align_enfuse.htm

                                              Carel, it better work for that kind of money! :-)

                                              Cheers, Milko
                                            • Milko K. Amorth
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                                Hi Bruno,

                                                > Thinking again, increasing the amount of downscaling should
                                                > effectively increase the search area, so '-s 2' ought to do exactly
                                                > what you need.

                                                I have tried those values before and just tried it again and it did
                                                fail. The terminal confirms only 2 from 3 images are read in.
                                                This was the set within a 30 pixel canvas buffer. The set within the 20
                                                pixel buffer works well.

                                                Thanks for the brainstorming.

                                                Cheers, Milko
                                              • Yuval Levy
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 26, 2008
                                                  Milko K. Amorth wrote:
                                                  > I have tried ...

                                                  I've just built the latest versions. No, they will not help you on this
                                                  specific issue, but it means that I could put some work on making
                                                  changes. I have looked into align_image_stack.

                                                  Changing the hard coded value for local search area width is IMO no
                                                  solution. It may be a quick fix for this specific case, but I already
                                                  see a whole lot of specific cases coming. The real fix for this case is
                                                  to simply run it through a fully fledged optimization process, i.e. the
                                                  real Hugin.

                                                  Before spending time on modifying align_image_stack, I would like to
                                                  understand the utility of such exercise. Why expand what was meant to be
                                                  a reduced, scope limited version; only to reproduce functionality that
                                                  already exists in its bigger sibling, the fully fledged Hugin?

                                                  Carlos, have you tried to drop all the image files on Hugin (rather than
                                                  on the droplet) and see what comes out of it?

                                                  If you are more comfortable with PTgui, you can drop them on PTgui,
                                                  align them there, then import the PTgui project into hugin for fusing.

                                                  If Hugin or PTgui fail to align the images, there is nothing that
                                                  align_image_stack can do.

                                                  Yuv
                                                • Milko K. Amorth
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 27, 2008
                                                    Hi Yuv,

                                                    > Before spending time on modifying align_image_ stack, I would like to
                                                    > understand the utility of such exercise. Why expand what was meant to be
                                                    > a reduced, scope limited version; only to reproduce functionality that
                                                    > already exists in its bigger sibling, the fully fledged Hugin?

                                                    I must agree with you. It does not make sense. The exercise of doing
                                                    this comparison was for me to find its limits.
                                                    As I have told you already, I am quite happy with what it does already.
                                                    I just like to get to know the tools in my arsenal.
                                                    I agree that align_image_stack has its place a module or standalone in a
                                                    powerful stitching suite like Hugin and compliments it.
                                                    Its not long that it has been introduced and I just swiped it when I
                                                    first have read about it in Sept 2007.
                                                    When Peters struggle with PTgui came up to try to stack these images for
                                                    enfuse it was the first thing that came to my mind to try,
                                                    since I had not before.

                                                    Using Hugin or Ptgui or other Panorama Tools based Guis will do what
                                                    Carlos wants it to do.
                                                    It's just a matter of knowing how to use the tools you already have on
                                                    hand. There are so many ways to achieve one result.
                                                    That does not mean one is better than the other. Its just a matter of
                                                    ability , preference and means.

                                                    Thanks Yuv and Bruno, for looking into this and helping out.

                                                    Cheers, Milko