Re: [PanoToolsNG] VR-Objects and NIKON Camera Control

  • johnriley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2006
      Michael,

      I went through the nightmare of trying to get all of that
      working.
      Really, all it would take for Nikon Capture to be working
      would
      be for them to fix the applescript dictionary/apple event.
      The
      proper command is listed, but has been non-functional since
      version 2, apparently.

      I DID manage to make it work two or three different ways
      though.

      One approach: GUI scripting Nikon Capture so that you can
      applescript control it.

      Another approach: use the web-server feature of Apple Image
      Capture, which can fire most Nikon DSLRs. Applescriptable
      too,
      I believe.

      The way I did it: download the Image Capture SDK from Apple.
      Look for the CameraCapabilities application in the
      SampleApplications folder. Connect your camera and run the
      application. If you see one of the capabilities of your
      camera is
      to take a picture, you are golden! Two routes from here:
      (a) GUI
      script the CameraCapabilities and control it and eMCee by
      applescript or (2) Make sure you have XCode installed and
      edit
      the project to add an applescript command to
      CameraCapabilities to fire the shutter, then applescript it
      and
      eMCee.

      You will probably need to put in delays as needed to keep
      from
      getting ahead of your camera. GUI scripting Nikon Capture
      has
      the advantage of being able to store directly to your
      computer,
      though you might figure out how to do that otherwise.

      Of course, all of this assumes you have a computer that can
      run
      Classic!

      In the end, I am using a Fuji S2 and I had to use QuickKeys
      control the GUI for HyperStudio (the Fuji equivalent of
      Nikon
      Capture) since regular GUI script wouldn't work. I wrote an
      applescript that controled the QuicKeys script and eMCee.

      I have discussed adding applescript capabilites to VRWorx
      with
      its developers and they seemed receptive. If you are using
      video camera, it controls Kaidan rigs very well and works in
      OS
      X. I just wish it was scriptable so that I could use it
      with an SLR!

      If I can help, just ask.

      John