Enfuse - alpha channel

  • Jef De Becker
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2008
      Hello,

      I am new to the group, and hope this is the right way to search for help on the problem that bothers me at the moment... I have been trying Enfuse, using Erik Krause's droplet. I understand that the idea is to feed Enfuse files with an alpha channel. Now, obviously, just clicking on the "create new alpha channel" icon in Photoshop's channel pallette is not enough... Is there somebody out there who can give a step by step mini-tutuorial for people like me who have a basic understanding of Photoshop, but who get a bit nervous when it comes to applying layer masks and clever selections..

      Thanks,
      Jef

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2008
        No, that is not correct. You CAN give an additional alpha channel.. but for
        most purposes, you just need to feed enfuse the files and enjoy the ouput.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2008
          On Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 7:25, Jef De Becker wrote:

          > I am new to the group, and hope this is the right way to search for help on
          > the problem that bothers me at the moment... I have been trying Enfuse, using
          > Erik Krause's droplet. I understand that the idea is to feed Enfuse files with
          > an alpha channel.

          An alpha channel can be used to explicitly exclude areas that
          shouldn't be used by enfuse without actually deleting them. However,
          if you pass images without alpha channel enfuse will display a
          message that no alpha channel is present and all pixels of the image
          will be processed.

          Which pixels will actually show up in the result image is decided by
          the enfuse algorithm depending on their well-exposedness, their
          saturation and/or their contrast (set by the parameters --wExposure
          --wSaturation and --wContrast).

          > Now, obviously, just clicking on the "create new alpha
          > channel" icon in Photoshop's channel pallette is not enough...

          An alpha channel basically is a black and white image with same size
          as and stored within the actual image file. At any pixel position
          there is a corresponding alpha channel pixel. enfuse looks at all
          such pixels and does not process an image pixel if the corresponding
          alpha channel pixel is black (zero). All other pixels will be
          included in the further processing.

          So if you want to exclude a region explicitely from processing, in
          photoshop click on the alpha channel in the channels palette, then
          use a hard brush and paint it black (will be overlayed red most
          likely). See f.e.
          http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/bllps504h.htm

          You must save as TIFF with alpha channels if you want enfuse to read
          the files.

          best regards
        • Jef De Becker
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2008
            Thanks to Erik Krause, Sacha Griffin and John Houghton for the quick replies...
            It's not plain sailing yet, but at least I now know where I am heading...