TuFuse: Two stage exposure/focus blending program

  • Max Lyons
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2008
      I've recently released a new freeware exposure and focus blending program
      called TuFuse.

      TuFuse is based on the same image fusion algorithm as Enfuse, but works a
      little differently. It performs a "two stage" fusion process that is designed
      to perform focus blending and exposure blending in two stages. Enfuse uses a
      single stage fusion algorithm that works well for either focus blending or
      exposure blending, but isn't optimally suited to addressing both
      simultaneously. For example, If one input image contains a well exposed, but
      poorly focused, pixel, it will still contribute to the final composite, even if
      a well exposed and well focused pixel is available in another input image.

      Tufuse performs focus blending and exposure blending in two different stages to
      create a better result. It is able to determine which images ought to be focus
      blended and which ought to be exposure blended without user input.

      TuFuse has a few other differences, and includes an "auto-bracketing" feature
      to create fused images from a single input image, similar to "pseudo HDR"
      images created from a single exposure.

      TuFuse is a stand-alone Windows command line program, and is released as
      freeware:

      http://www.tawbaware.com/tufuse.htm

      TuFuse is also distributed with PTAssembler 4.0 (and later) as its default
      image stacking plugin program. (PTAssembler 4.0 also supports Enfuse and
      CombineZM as stacking plugins). PTAssembler acts as a GUI for TuFuse (and any
      other stacking plugins), to align (register) images before stacking.

      More information about TuFuse/PTAssembler:

      1. http://www.tawbaware.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=4797
      2. http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr_help_stack_example.htm

      Max
    • thomas bredenfeld
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2008
        hello everybody!

        i weeks ago i sent an inquiry to vr toolbox (http://vrtoolbox.com) ab
        out their vrworx software, but i got no answer.

        as it is the 2nd time i got no response from them, i ask the members
        of the two lists: does anybody know wether this company is alive?

        thanx
        thomas
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21, 2008
          I've done a few tests.

          Not yet directly with focus stacks, but this should be very interesting.

          I tested auto-bracketing a 16bit tif versus S/H and pseudo 1 stop
          differences of a raw.

          Autobracketing, I wasn't too surprised to see not a whole lot of restored
          highlight details verses the pseudo bracket, but I was surprised to see
          quite a good restoration with s/h.

          With 10 and 11 Levels there was color bleed into the clouds, and with 5
          levels more of gray tone, with haloing.

          However, I found IMHO the best results using the pseudo bracket, with
          saturation knocked down for the over exposure. Giving a very realistic scene
          with a well compressed DR.

          I am continuing to check further interactions of the settings.

          Sacha Griffin

          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

          http://www.southern-digital.com

          http://www.seeit360.net