Re: [PanoToolsNG] Dynamic JavaVRs?

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
      On 11/07/2006, at 12:05 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
      > I guess what I should look for is the easiest to configure applet to
      > read the image from the page and simply display it.

      No, really, you don't want to do that, seriously.

      Your page contains thumbnails - nice, small files, fast to load. They
      can each be a link that will call a page (same one if you want) that
      will bring up the (java) pano in it's own window or in the base page,
      downloading the full sized image only when (or if) it's needed. All
      you need to do is pass your PHP script a variable that will identify
      the image you want to display, and have a function or routine to
      handle it in the script. Pretty simple stuff.

      Cheers,
      KathyW.
    • yuval_levy
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
        Hi Mark,

        I am not exactly sure I understand what you are trying to achieve
        here, but there are a few possibilities. I will first ask you some
        questions to understand your needs.

        When you write about an an <quote> easier to understand "visual
        format" for non-pano folk (as opposed to an equirect) </quote> do you
        mean for the thumbnail or for the image as a whole? and do you want
        the image to be interactive, i.e. the user to click and drag inside
        like a VR, or do you want to show a transformed version of the
        equirect, flat on the page?

        There are a number of viewing technologies. My take on them is to be
        agnostic and try to deliver the VR in whatever technology is available
        on the browser.

        The basic dynamic page will just have the tags for the VR technology
        and will replace the file at the appropriate place. You can see such
        an example at
        <http://www.items.ch/panoramas/panorama.asp?filenum=298> (PT 185kB)
        <http://www.items.ch/panoramas/panorama.asp?filenum=300> (QT 684kB)

        (BTW, that's me with Jean-Marc Paratte discussing the French
        translation of Pano2QTVR and other fun stuff while it was pouring rain
        outside). Jean-Marc holds the copyright for the ASP script and the pano.

        A similar approach in PHP (wont work for much longer as I have to
        remake completely that website - it is not even Eola compliant):

        <http://www.photopla.net/pano.php?id=63>

        The filenum or id parameters tell the script what panorama out of a
        list, usually in a database, to display. In Jean-Marc's script it also
        determine the technology. My script is mono-technology and thus
        inferior: people w/o Java won't see it, while people w/o Java but with
        QuickTime will see the second link from Jean-Marc.

        Choice is the difficult stage - most people do not know nor care what
        panorama displaying technology the have on their computer. This is why
        I wrote Brocap, a tool to detect the technology available and use it.

        You can see Brocap in use at two sites. My commercial site for real
        estate, e.g. <http://www.voxcasa.com/visite.php?sia=x42500> will
        display in five different technologies.

        A different approach was developed together with Bernhard Vogl for his
        <http://www.austria-360.at/>.

        The main difference is in the master format of the VR. For me it is
        the equirect, while for Bernhard it is the QTVR. He has scripts that
        transform on the spot a QTVR into Spi-V cubefaces. The jointly
        developed scripts are available at <http://dativ.at/brocap/> and I
        should fix the bugs and release the latest version at
        <http://br.xenaura.com/> - with a little bit of PHP knowledge you'll
        get Bernhard's version up and running fairly quick, but it has no Java
        support because using Java to display the QTVR format is tricky and
        does not always work.

        This is why I took the equirectangular as input format. I have written
        a script to transform the equirectangular into the different output
        formats (using Pano2QTVR for the QTVRs and ImageMagick / PanoTools for
        the rest), although the transformations can also be done manually.
        This runs offline, so it requires more storage space on the server but
        is faster in the delivery process.

        I am currently examining a few content management systems to see if I
        can integrate my viewing technology as a module / plug in. Then,
        publishing panos dynamically will become as easy as writing text with
        a word processor.

        Yuv
      • Mark Banas (lists)
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
          On Jul 10, 2006, at 10:35 PM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

          > On 11/07/2006, at 12:05 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
          >> I guess what I should look for is the easiest to configure applet to
          >> read the image from the page and simply display it.
          >
          > No, really, you don't want to do that, seriously.
          >
          > Your page contains thumbnails - nice, small files, fast to load. They
          > can each be a link that will call a page (same one if you want) that
          > will bring up the (java) pano in it's own window or in the base page,
          > downloading the full sized image only when (or if) it's needed. All
          > you need to do is pass your PHP script a variable that will identify
          > the image you want to display, and have a function or routine to
          > handle it in the script. Pretty simple stuff.

          Heh, "simple" for you perhaps! 8-}

          I am thinking that each pano would be linked from an image-specific
          page like this one:
          http://www.mab3d.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=40
          not necc. from the thumbnails page, but that is academic.

          I guess my thinking (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that since the
          image has already been loaded on the page at an acceptable resolution
          (1000x500) then it would be a matter of referencing that same image
          in the the source of the Java VR. In other words the PHP for the new
          window with the pano would build off of whatever the Gallery page
          defined as the source of the main image, which in this case is this
          cryptic bit of code going back to the database:
          img src="main.php?
          g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16&g2_serialNumber=2"

          IIRC: I think this is done to prevent wholesale image theft, and to
          allow high-res images to be uploaded and resampled for various views
          automatically, but these images are actually JPEG-HDR, so they are
          not resampled at all (or they would lose the 32-bit depth) but their
          location is known only in the database entries.

          What I think you are saying is that I need to look at the PHP for the
          Gallery display pages and figure out how it goes from thumbnail to
          main image and defines that img src, and then to do the same in my
          panoviewer PHP. Correct? Does it matter that at the time the
          panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
          database entry in the generated page it is linked from?

          Sorry if this is all "way basic PHP" for you, but I'm trying to
          shoehorn a feature into a gallery setup that already meets 90% of my
          needs.

          -Mark
        • Mark Banas (lists)
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
            On Jul 10, 2006, at 11:37 PM, yuval_levy wrote:

            > When you write about an an <quote> easier to understand "visual
            > format" for non-pano folk (as opposed to an equirect) </quote> do you
            > mean for the thumbnail or for the image as a whole? and do you want
            > the image to be interactive, i.e. the user to click and drag inside
            > like a VR, or do you want to show a transformed version of the
            > equirect, flat on the page?

            Hi Yuv,

            Image as a whole, click-and-drag JavaVR. I'd prefer JavaVR (whatever
            type) mainly because my images are already equirectangulars and would
            work as a source - and because Java has a much greater installed base
            than Shockwave (for Spi-V).

            > The basic dynamic page will just have the tags for the VR technology
            > and will replace the file at the appropriate place. You can see such
            > an example at
            > <http://www.items.ch/panoramas/panorama.asp?filenum=298> (PT 185kB)
            > <http://www.items.ch/panoramas/panorama.asp?filenum=300> (QT 684kB)

            While I am sure the delice was just that, the above links are pretty
            much what I want to avoid: no pano ever displayed from either link.
            I think panoserve.atoms.ch wasn't responding fast enough (or at all)...

            As Kathy and Sacha have alluded to, this is probably dead simple if I
            know what I'm doing. Problem is that I'm starting out with a pretty
            fully-developed gallery system and image manager, but trying to stick
            this onto it. Might be better for me to start asking questions of the
            kind folks who developed the gallery in the first place. If only
            their VR viewer actually *worked* I wouldn't have to consider this! I
            might not even pursue it in the end, if only because it could be such
            a waste of time for what amounts to meeting a need I don't know if I
            have. I mean, these aren't real estate images - these are simply
            panoramic HDR images!

            BTW, now that some of you have actually loaded the "high-res"
            equirectangular image onto your screen - congratulations, you have
            been served one of the few truly High Dynamic Range Images viewable
            on the internet! In other words, your browser thought that was a
            tonemapped JPEG, but the image itself contains the 32-bit luminance
            data just waiting for you to copy it to your desktop and open it with
            Photosphere or something else that reads JPEG-HDR files.

            In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
            tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
            by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
            once you think about it...

            -Mark
          • Kathy Wheeler
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
              On 11/07/2006, at 2:18 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
              > I guess my thinking (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that since the
              > image has already been loaded on the page at an acceptable resolution
              > (1000x500) then it would be a matter of referencing that same image
              > in the the source of the Java VR. In other words the PHP for the new
              > window with the pano would build off of whatever the Gallery page
              > defined as the source of the main image, which in this case is this
              > cryptic bit of code going back to the database:
              > img src="main.php?
              > g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16&g2_serialNumber=2"

              I just did a right click "View Image" on that img and it certainly
              came up too fast to be coming from anywhere other than the browser
              cache so in theory it should work fine. The only thing I am a little
              uncertain of is how the java viewers interface with the browser/
              server. IF they simply call for the image as (in this case) "main.php?
              g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16&g2_serialNumber=2"
              then it should work. Certainly worth a try.

              > What I think you are saying is that I need to look at the PHP for the
              > Gallery display pages and figure out how it goes from thumbnail to
              > main image and defines that img src, and then to do the same in my
              > panoviewer PHP. Correct?

              Yes.

              > Does it matter that at the time the
              > panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
              > database entry in the generated page it is linked from?

              Shouldn't do. The index for that image should not change. I haven't
              looked at the PHP for Gallery2 to be certain, but it's certainly
              worth a try. If you need any help feel free to contact me off-list so
              we don't bore the good people here with technical coding, just the
              announcement when you get it working ;-)

              Cheers,
              KathyW.
            • Kathy Wheeler
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
                On 11/07/2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
                > In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
                > tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
                > by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
                > once you think about it...

                Where do I get me one of those monitors and can I afford it (think I
                know the answer to the last bit :-(

                KathyW.
              • Mark Banas (lists)
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
                  On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

                  > On 11/07/2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
                  >> In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
                  >> tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
                  >> by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
                  >> once you think about it...
                  >
                  > Where do I get me one of those monitors and can I afford it (think I
                  > know the answer to the last bit :-(

                  http://www.brightsidetech.com/

                  And, um, right now they are around $50,000 USD and mostly handmade -
                  but that is 40% off of their original price! ;-)

                  As the larger companies, with better manufacturing abilities, get
                  involved and license the technology the price will likely fall.
                  However, just as with cameras and computers, the really innovative
                  stuff will be delayed to maximize the profit of existing tech. I
                  heard about this technology in 2002, and now 4 years later it can be
                  "purchased." Maybe in another 4 years it can be "afforded?"
                • Mark Banas (lists)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
                    On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

                    >> Does it matter that at the time the
                    >> panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
                    >> database entry in the generated page it is linked from?
                    >
                    > Shouldn't do. The index for that image should not change. I haven't
                    > looked at the PHP for Gallery2 to be certain, but it's certainly
                    > worth a try. If you need any help feel free to contact me off-list so
                    > we don't bore the good people here with technical coding, just the
                    > announcement when you get it working ;-)

                    Thanks, Kathy. I will poke around and ask the Gallery2 folks what
                    they recommend first, as well as refresh my grey cells with some
                    details of PHP coding. I was thinking the hardest part would be
                    setting up the java applet to display the image, but it seems just
                    *getting* the proper image will be the real struggle for me. (After
                    about an hour last night I understood the Immervision applet and XML
                    methods - very nice!)

                    And thanks to Sacha and Yuval's wonderful examples I can see that the
                    end product is quite feasible and workable! I've seen all this
                    discussed before, but never had a real need to explore it or learn it.

                    -Mark
                  • bernharv2000
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
                      Hello Mark,

                      I use PHP to create some Spi-V content on the fly.

                      If i understand your simple need to insert a filename into plugin code
                      correctly, a code snippet for Java content could look like this:

                      // Get Filename of JPEG-File
                      $file = (array_key_exists("file", $_GET)) ? $_GET["file"] : "";
                      [...]
                      // Generate HTML Page
                      ?>
                      [...]
                      <param name="file" value="<? echo $file ?>">
                      [...]

                      The call of the dynamic HTML would be something like:
                      http://www.mab3d.com/gallery/viewer.php?file=panorama.jpg

                      Best regards
                      Bernhard
                    • vtourdk
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 12, 2006
                        Have a look at "Simpleview" - an automated PHP/PTviewer based previewer
                        I made some years ago. I might not be exactly what you want, but it can
                        give you some idea on how to use PHP for this kind of tasks.

                        http://www.in2.dk/pttours/ <http://www.in2.dk/pttours/>

                        best regards

                        Flemming