Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Time to take the plunge - spherical panos or bust

  • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2006
      > I have the 2nd-edition NN (SPH-2), and it won't rotate all the way up
      > with my d70s. The camera has to sit too far back on the vertical
      > rotator, so the big round knob interferes with the vertical arm. I
      > might investigate milling out a notch to make this work.
      >
      > I will also need a new tripod, as mine has a really huge top section
      > that keeps polluting my shots and needs to get photoshopped out all the
      > time.

      NN3 withe the same camera/lens combo here.

      The vertical arm is just a bit too short to have real fun.
      I can tilt the camera up, but to do that I have to rotate it over the left
      side of the camera. If I rotate the right side down, the camera grip hits
      the bottom bar. (I could mount the camera the other way round, but I don't
      like that. Possibly because I'm left handed..)

      This means that I have to remember to rotate the zenith shot 180 degrees,
      or I have to optimize for individual shift parameters for the zenith shot.

      Having a longer vertical arm would also make the panohead/tripod smaller
      in the nadir shot.

      The arm that holds the camera is also a bit too short. I can't use the kit
      lens at 18mm, it won't go far enough back to have the NPP centered.

      But apart from that, it is a nice head.

      Serge.