Workflow for publishing panos

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2008
      If you've seen my site (www.northernlight.net), then you are probably
      already aware of how little I've done lately with publishing panos. After
      seeing what was done at www.nyc.360cities.net, I'd really like to learn more
      about the workflow of publishing.

      I've spent the last few days poking around at both JATC and the trial
      version of Pleinpot. I've come up with some initial thoughts and wanted to
      get feedback before I go any further.

      For "simple" small tours, for example a B&B where all you want is a floor
      plan and hot spots, JATC seems to be the perfect solution. Depending on what
      the client wants regarding plug-ins, it gives me several options for output.

      For more complicated tours, such as a town or city, using the Google API
      looks like the most intuitive interface for the end users. The learning
      curve is definitely higher, but from what little I've read, it doesn't look
      impossible.

      I could also see a point where a combination of the two would make sense. If
      there was a client in NYC that wanted a virtual tour of their hotel, then
      the initial link to the hotel would be via the Google API interface, but
      once you click on their link, it would take you to a virtual tour produced
      by JATC. Does that sound reasonable?

      My question is, where does Pleinpot come into all of this? From my limited
      testing, it does a great job of easily creating standalone full screen html
      in a variety of formats, QT, Deval, SPi-V, Java and Flash. JATC can do these
      formats as well, so my guess is that I wouldn't need Pleinpot for a small
      tour, but for the larger Google based one, I would?

      If so, would I put browser and plug-in detection on the Google link so that
      the proper html is fed to the end user? That would mean that for every pano
      that I want to display, I have to create separate html in as many as five
      flavors. That sounds like a lot of work and an amazing proliferation of html
      pages.

      Is there a more streamlined approach that I've missed?

      Thanks!

      Mark
      www.nyc.360cities.net
      www.pinnacle-vr.com
      www.northernlight.net
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
        Hmmm, hears crickets chirping in the background.

        No takers?

        Mark

        www.nyc.360cities.net <http://www.nyc.360cities.net/>

        www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

        www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
          Hi Mark,

          But, if you use a for plug-in detection system, why to create several
          HTML pages? You should create only one HTML and open the virtual tours
          with the detecting code.

          For example, I think you know detectvr script (
          http://www.devalvr.com/instalacion/detectvr.zip ). You could create a
          fullscreen page and insert the Javascript code to open the VRTours of
          all plugins in that page, one HTML page for one VRTour (several
          plugins). Or you could use a bit of Javascript to use only one HTML
          page for all VRtours, for example Erik Leeman used detectvr in his
          site to do it http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/english-large-NL.htm (You
          can see all panoramas are open with the same HTML file)

          regards!
          fiero

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

          > If you've seen my site (www.northernlight.net), then you are probably
          > already aware of how little I've done lately with publishing panos.
          After
          > seeing what was done at www.nyc.360cities.net, I'd really like to
          learn more
          > about the workflow of publishing.
          >
          > I've spent the last few days poking around at both JATC and the trial
          > version of Pleinpot. I've come up with some initial thoughts and
          wanted to
          > get feedback before I go any further.
          >
          > For "simple" small tours, for example a B&B where all you want is a
          floor
          > plan and hot spots, JATC seems to be the perfect solution. Depending
          on what
          > the client wants regarding plug-ins, it gives me several options for
          output.

          > For more complicated tours, such as a town or city, using the Google API
          > looks like the most intuitive interface for the end users. The learning
          > curve is definitely higher, but from what little I've read, it
          doesn't look
          > impossible.
          >
          > I could also see a point where a combination of the two would make
          sense. If
          > there was a client in NYC that wanted a virtual tour of their hotel,
          then
          > the initial link to the hotel would be via the Google API interface, but
          > once you click on their link, it would take you to a virtual tour
          produced
          > by JATC. Does that sound reasonable?
          >
          > My question is, where does Pleinpot come into all of this? From my
          limited
          > testing, it does a great job of easily creating standalone full
          screen html
          > in a variety of formats, QT, Deval, SPi-V, Java and Flash. JATC can
          do these
          > formats as well, so my guess is that I wouldn't need Pleinpot for a
          small
          > tour, but for the larger Google based one, I would?
          >
          > If so, would I put browser and plug-in detection on the Google link
          so that
          > the proper html is fed to the end user? That would mean that for
          every pano
          > that I want to display, I have to create separate html in as many as
          five
          > flavors. That sounds like a lot of work and an amazing proliferation
          of html
          > pages.
          >
          > Is there a more streamlined approach that I've missed?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Mark
          > www.nyc.360cities.net
          > www.pinnacle-vr.com
          > www.northernlight.net

        • Thomas Krueger
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
            Publishing panos on the web I use Flash panos with the SWFObject script
            inside a lightbox (Shadowbox JS). The conversion of the equirectangular pano
            is done with Pano2VR to a single swf file.

            If somebody hasn't Flash 9 installed, the script SWFObject provides an
            automatic installation. With the script you can also point to an alternative
            content if there is no Flash plugin at the visitors computer installed.
            Pointing the alternative content to the script detectvr you should cover the
            needs of all visitors viewing the panorama with one of the currently
            available viewers.

            For geolocated panos I'd like to test the CMS PanoMap Panoramic Picture
            Management System http://www.panomap.cn/en www.panomap.cn/en - but it
            needs a windows hosting with ASP and MSSQL.

            Thomas
          • Jim Watters
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
              Wow Fiero! It was in Feb when Mark asked this question. I had to check
              his site to make sure he didn't update it in the mean time.

              I do find this valuable information. I have been wanting to up date my
              own site for a long time too. And I just ordered a SpaceNavigator from
              3DConnexion so I better be able to display using DevalVR.

              --
              Jim Watters

              Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
              jwatters @ photocreations . ca
              http://photocreations.ca
            • fierodeval
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
                wow! I would have sworn that I saw "Sep 12, 2008" in the date of
                Mark's post, but now I see "Feb 12, 2008". Oh my god! I can not rely
                on my tired eyes... :-O