[PanoToolsNG] Sorry for 2 wrong mails....

  • Michael Hansky
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 28, 2006
      Answered 2 Posts, but forgot to put the right emailadress in

      Sorry, im an Iditot ;-)

      Michael
    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 28, 2006
        I am wanting to batch stitch a number of panorama sets with a
        template. When I have used PTBatch from Kekus on my Mac, I could
        select one project template and stitch any number of folders of
        images from that template. In fact, you could stitch how ever many
        you wanted with each of several different templates.

        As far as I can see, the batch stitcher in PTGui doesn't have this
        capability. It seems you can either stitch a bunch of projects in
        parallel or sequentially, but not a bunch of folders of images to a
        single template.

        Do I really have to make a project for each folder of images or have
        I just missed out on how to do this? Using a 360Precision head makes
        this something desirable for me and perhaps others.

        (Yes, I know I could copy all of the parameters into a PTMac project,
        but still....)

        Thanks,

        John

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

        On Aug 28, 2006, at 12:24 PM, Michael Hansky wrote:

        > Answered 2 Posts, but forgot to put the right emailadress in
        >
        > Sorry, im an Iditot ;-)
        >

        > Michael

      • Aaron Spence
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 28, 2006
          G'day John,

          Unfortunately PTGui isn't great at batching yet. My 'batching'
          process it to:

          1) Create a folder for each set of images.
          2) Batch name the images 1-7. (or however many you have)
          (I keep a 'RAW' folder in this folder also with the original files)
          3) Drop a .pts (project file) into each folder.
          4) Go through each folder & open the Ptgui project to give the project
          a correct output folder. (save in the same folder)
          5) Grab all the .pts files and drop them into PTGui Batch Stitcher.
          (I do a seach on the folder containing the project folders for *.pts
          and it brings up all the projects. I can then grab them and drop them
          into the Batch stitcher)

          A while ago I asked Joost to remove the need for an absolute path to
          the input files, which enables me to use the same .pts for each set of
          images. (assuming they have the same name - I have a program that
          batches the names once I've done converting them from RAW). I've also
          asked him to remove the need for an absolute path to the output
          directory, which would save the step of having to open every .pts file
          just to save an output path.

          Once Joost has removed all absolute path requirements things will be
          better as far as batch goes.

          I also use a 360P and have found the workflow complicated at times to
          batch everything.

          Thanks,

          Aaron.
        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 28, 2006
            Ahh, now I see why you were asking for the relative path names 8-)
            That is a solution worth trying out until the batcher gets more
            feature (wish-list?) Perhaps some applescripting is in order.

            Thanks,

            John
            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

            On Aug 28, 2006, at 8:55 PM, Aaron Spence wrote:

            > G'day John,
            >
            > Unfortunately PTGui isn't great at batching yet. My 'batching'
            > process it to:
            >
            > 1) Create a folder for each set of images.
            > 2) Batch name the images 1-7. (or however many you have)
            > (I keep a 'RAW' folder in this folder also with the original files)
            > 3) Drop a .pts (project file) into each folder.
            > 4) Go through each folder & open the Ptgui project to give the project
            > a correct output folder. (save in the same folder)
            > 5) Grab all the .pts files and drop them into PTGui Batch Stitcher.
            > (I do a seach on the folder containing the project folders for *.pts
            > and it brings up all the projects. I can then grab them and drop them
            > into the Batch stitcher)
            >
            > A while ago I asked Joost to remove the need for an absolute path to
            > the input files, which enables me to use the same .pts for each set of
            > images. (assuming they have the same name - I have a program that
            > batches the names once I've done converting them from RAW). I've also
            > asked him to remove the need for an absolute path to the output
            > directory, which would save the step of having to open every .pts file
            > just to save an output path.
            >
            > Once Joost has removed all absolute path requirements things will be
            > better as far as batch goes.
            >
            > I also use a 360P and have found the workflow complicated at times to
            > batch everything.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Aaron.

          • Aaron Spence
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 28, 2006
              "Perhaps some applescripting is in order."

              I don't think that will work on my windoze box :)

              I enquired about having a photoshop action written (with one of the
              very clever guys on this list) to automate more processes than I can
              making up my own PS actions. ie create the output folders, rename the
              converted images and drop them into the folders, grab the RAW files
              after conversion and drop them into a 'RAW' folder etc. BUT... the
              member I asked is a MAC man, so I was out of luck :(

              I'll keep looking into it, and pestering Joost :)

              Thanks,

              Aaron.
            • Ian Wood
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 29, 2006
                You might be able to do something with *javascript*, but a Photoshop
                Action can't do anything to local files other than open them and save
                them. No new folders, no renaming of existing files, no moving of
                existing files.

                Ian

                On 29 Aug 2006, at 04:27, Aaron Spence wrote:

                > "Perhaps some applescripting is in order."
                >
                > I don't think that will work on my windoze box :)
                >
                > I enquired about having a photoshop action written (with one of the
                > very clever guys on this list) to automate more processes than I can
                > making up my own PS actions. ie create the output folders, rename the
                > converted images and drop them into the folders, grab the RAW files
                > after conversion and drop them into a 'RAW' folder etc. BUT... the
                > member I asked is a MAC man, so I was out of luck :(
                >
                > I'll keep looking into it, and pestering Joost :)
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Aaron.

              • Aaron Spence
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 29, 2006
                  Hmmm... thanks Ian. I'm using the wrong terminology then I think. I
                  thought PS actions were written in Javascript (behind the scenes), or
                  there must be something else in PS that uses Javascript?

                  I figured the 'make web gallery' type actions can create folders etc,
                  then it should be theoretically possible for a Javascript PS action to
                  do that?

                  Thanks,

                  Aaron.
                • John Houghton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 29, 2006
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Spence" <aaron@...> wrote:

                    > there must be something else in PS that uses Javascript?

                    There is: File->Scripts . See the Photoshop Help pages.

                    John
                  • Ian Wood
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 29, 2006
                      To summarise, Photoshop actions (as in the things you make by
                      recording things in the Actions palette) are specific to Photoshop
                      and don't use Javascript or anything.

                      BUT - you can also use languages such as Javascript and Applescript
                      to control Photoshop, including running PS actions. These are usually
                      accessed via the File>Scripts menu as John has pointed out.

                      Ian

                      On 29 Aug 2006, at 10:53, John Houghton wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Spence" <aaron@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> there must be something else in PS that uses Javascript?
                      >
                      > There is: File->Scripts . See the Photoshop Help pages.
                      >
                      > John
                    • Andrew Nemeth
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 29, 2006
                        On 30 Aug 2006, at 03:27, "Ian Wood" wrote:

                        > You might be able to do something with *javascript*, but a Photoshop
                        > Action can't do anything to local files other than open them and save
                        > them. No new folders, no renaming of existing files, no moving of
                        > existing files.

                        To clarify this a bit, if you use Photoshop Javascript via the
                        "File/Scripts"
                        menu, you _can_ do a limited amount of file and directory manipulation
                        from within PS. See the "File and Folder Objects" heading in the
                        "Javascript Reference Guide" PDF which comes with Photoshop.

                        CS2 even introduced a "fref.copy()" method, letting you copy files from
                        and to wherever you want. CS doesn't support it however.

                        Thing is, although you can get file manipulation to work via Photoshop
                        JS, it'll be clunky. You're much better off doing it directly in the
                        OS, via Applescript or UNIX bash shell or Windoze batch file or
                        whatever.

                        If you absolutely need to run things through Photoshop however, you
                        could always use the Photoshop Javascript "fref.execute()" method to
                        launch an external OS batch script.

                        FWIW, YMMV etc.

                        Regds,

                        Andrew N.
                        <http://nemeng.com>
                        Blue Mountains Australia
                      • Aaron Spence
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
                          Talking about actions vs scripts etc, I came across the new 'FREE'
                          photoshop script that might be useful to people. It doesn't do what I
                          wanted, but it's still handy. It will batch run any action on a tree
                          of folders and then output to another directory keeping the folder
                          structure intact. (AFAIK)

                          http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_a104/essay.html

                          Aaron.