Just another enfuse droplet

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 5, 2008
      Hello,

      I finally had the idea how to automatically group images in bracketed
      series from a panorama. It turned out to be quite easy, but it's
      limited of course: The images of one pano must be together in a
      folder, no other images should be there. The images must be named in
      the order most cameras do: with ascending numbers. Each series must
      consist of consecutive images. I suppose this is how most peole shoot
      bracketed series anyway - shoot one series, pan on, shoot next series
      and so on.

      The droplet reads the folder and sorts images by name. Then reads the
      EV (exposure value computed from exposure time, f-stop and ISO) from
      the first image with the help of EXIFTool.

      It then starts to enfuse images until it finds an image with the same
      EV as the first one. This image is considered the first one of the
      next series and so on until all images are processed. It doesn't
      matter whether you do classical brackets (f.e. normal, under, over)
      or a linear series (f.e. -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, +2EV), only the first
      image of each series must be exposed the same.

      If you think this could be of any help, please download the droplets
      from http://www.erik-krause.de/enfuse_droplets.zip and EXIFTool
      windows executable from http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
      and unpack all files in the folder where enfuse.exe resides[1].
      Rename exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe and create shortcuts as
      described in the readme.txt file from the droplets zip.

      The batch files won't work directly, shortcuts are mandatory. Then
      drop a folder that meets above conditions on the shortcut that points
      to enfuse_auto_droplet.bat (best named "Enfuse Auto")

      Please report any observations, especially whether it works on
      Vista...

      [1] If you don't have enfuse already or want the most recent version,
      go to http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse and follow the link in the
      "state of development" section.

      best regards
      Offenburger Str. 33
      79108 Freiburg
    • wardnet2001
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 5, 2008
        > from http://www.erik-krause.de/enfuse_droplets.zip and EXIFTool
        > windows executable from http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
        > and unpack all files in the folder where enfuse.exe resides[1].
        > Rename exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe and create shortcuts as
        > described in the readme.txt file from the droplets zip.

        Hi Eric

        Thanks! A quick test on a folder of images worked worked perfectly.
        I'll use this a lot, I'm sure.

        Bill
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 5, 2008
          On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 05:30:05 +0900, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

          > Please report any observations, especially whether it works on
          > Vista...

          Erik, do you ask this because you haven't tested it with Vista?

          I have one computer in the office, the latest and most powerful
          by far, but I am not too happy with Vista. I am wondering
          whether to run Enfuse and your droplets on the newest Vista
          computer or my older, less powerful computer running XP Pro.

          Roger W.

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 6, 2008
            Roger D. Williams wrote:

            > Erik, do you ask this because you haven't tested it with Vista?

            Yes. I'd try to avoid touching this OS ;-)

            best regards

            -----
          • michel thoby
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 6, 2008
              Hi Erik,

              This works on Vista here.
              Well, I have only given a simple try with the simplest droplet and
              got the expected output enfused file;-)

              Regards,

              Michel

              Le 6 févr. 08 à 14:56, Erik Krause a écrit :

              > Roger D. Williams wrote:
              > >
              > > Erik, do you ask this because you haven't tested it with Vista?
              > >

              > Yes. I'd try to avoid touching this OS ;-)
              >
              > best regards
              >
              > -----
              > Erik Krause
              > http://www.erik-krause.de

            • Milko K. Amorth
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 6, 2008
                Hi Erik,
                Fantastic work. Thank you.

                > The batch files won't work directly, shortcuts are mandatory. Then
                > drop a folder that meets above conditions on the shortcut that points
                > to enfuse_auto_ droplet.bat (best named "Enfuse Auto")

                All i have missed is the "align_enfuse_auto.bat" for handheld bracketing.

                > Please report any observations, especially whether it works on
                > Vista...

                Sorry, no Vista. Iam going to skip that one. Had enough fights with
                xpsp2 already.

                I did a modest compare between ptgui/ldr and enfuse auto workflow.
                Everything was kept at auto everything.
                No tweaks or editing. I like it much better then tonemapping to LDR
                though the blended segments get blended again
                in PTgui. I get better color contrasts when enfuse_align360 the pano
                planes. The planes blend more evenly, I think.
                http://360image.de/test/smallfoot_tripod.htm

                Thanks again for your dedicated work. I appreciate it very much.

                Cheers, Milko
              • Briar
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 6, 2008
                  I remember seeing a panorama that covered two (or more?) seasons from the
                  same spot, and wonder if anyone else remembers that, and more importantly
                  can suggest how to do the same?

                  I have been following a particular building project "from the inside" where
                  I started with the bare ground in the winter, I now have the latest one that
                  is inside a large metal frame that will become the central atrium of a
                  holiday home. So the landscape can still be seen behind.

                  I want to be able to go round the original pan, going (reasonably)
                  seamlessly onto the next within the same QTVR. Can anyone throw any ideas my
                  way?

                  As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

                  Briar Bentley,

                  Agender Northland.

                  316 Springfield Road.

                  R D 8 Whangarei

                  09-432-2092

                  0274-904-553

                  briar_bentley@...

                • michel thoby
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 6, 2008
                    Hi Briar,

                    Le 7 févr. 08 à 05:11, Briar a écrit :

                    > I remember seeing a panorama that covered two (or more?) seasons
                    > from the
                    > same spot, and wonder if anyone else remembers that, and more
                    > importantly
                    > can suggest how to do the same?

                    This is probably what you're looking for:
                    http://panograph.free.fr/lauragais/4saisons.html

                    Make a 360° cylindrical for each season from the same spot and
                    subsequently assemble "N" of them to make a N x 360° cylindrical
                    panorama. Up to you to blend a transition between each (including
                    last to first)
                    and render this as N x 360° cylindrical QTVR. Make it to wrap around
                    to close the time loop.

                    Regards,

                    Michel

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
                      On Wednesday, February 06, 2008 at 15:37, michel thoby wrote:

                      > This works on Vista here.
                      > Well, I have only given a simple try with the simplest droplet and
                      > got the expected output enfused file;-)

                      Many thanks! My fears where mostly about the new auto droplet, which
                      uses some techniques I don't use in the other ones...

                      best regards
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
                        On Wednesday, February 06, 2008 at 12:27, Milko K. Amorth wrote:

                        > All i have missed is the "align_enfuse_auto.bat" for handheld bracketing.

                        Roll your own:

                        Duplicate enfuse_auto_droplet.bat to align_enfuse_auto.bat, open in
                        notepad and replace call enfuse_droplet.bat in line 66 by call
                        enfuse_align_droplet.bat

                        The reason I neglected the align feature a bit is that enfuse
                        currently has a bug that prevents the usage of other values for
                        --wContrast than 0 with output of align_image_stack. I'll complete
                        the droplets zoo with a focus stack enfuse droplet as soon as this is
                        fixed...

                        best regards
                      • diallery
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, michel thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Briar,
                          >
                          > Le 7 févr. 08 à 05:11, Briar a écrit :
                          >
                          > > I remember seeing a panorama that covered two (or more?) seasons
                          > > from the
                          > > same spot, and wonder if anyone else remembers that, and more
                          > > importantly
                          > > can suggest how to do the same?
                          >
                          > This is probably what you're looking for:
                          > http://panograph.free.fr/lauragais/4saisons.html
                          >
                          > Make a 360° cylindrical for each season from the same spot and
                          > subsequently assemble "N" of them to make a N x 360° cylindrical
                          > panorama. Up to you to blend a transition between each (including
                          > last to first)
                          > and render this as N x 360° cylindrical QTVR. Make it to wrap around
                          > to close the time loop.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Michel

                          Hi Briar

                          As Michel says I make N x 360°. I copy with photoshop 10% from the
                          left side and append it to the right, so each of the N-cylindricals
                          covers more or less 400°. Then load them all with ptgui, chose as lens
                          type "cylindrical", a field of view 400° divided by N (100° for 4
                          input panoramas), as panorama projection cylindrical with 360°, put
                          some manual control points in the overlaping areas and let ptgui do
                          the blending for you.

                          Two examples done with this technique:

                          http://www.diallery.com/panos/show_4seasons.html
                          http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp307/html/DaniFuchs.html

                          Regards
                          Daniel
                        • Milko K. Amorth
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
                            Hi Erik,

                            > Duplicate enfuse_auto_ droplet.bat to align_enfuse_ auto.bat, open in
                            > notepad and replace call enfuse_droplet. bat in line 66 by call
                            > enfuse_align_ droplet.bat

                            Done. Works like a charm. Thank you.

                            > I'll complete
                            > the droplets zoo with a focus stack enfuse droplet as soon as this is
                            > fixed...

                            Superb.

                            Cheers, Milko
                          • Roger D. Williams
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
                              Erik,

                              Does it matter if the numbers are consecutive? i.e., as long as
                              numbers are in ascending order is it OK to have gaps?

                              I know I could test this myself but I don't have access to my
                              computer at the moment.

                              Roger W.

                              --
                              Work: www.adex-japan.com
                              Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                            • Jim Watters
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
                                diallery wrote:
                                > examples done with this technique:
                                >
                                > http://www.diallery.com/panos/show_4seasons.html
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > Daniel
                                Crashed Firefox 2.0.0.11. Win XP, QT 7.3.1 & QT 7.4.1
                                IE7 worked.

                                --
                                Jim Watters

                                Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                                jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                                http://photocreations.ca
                              • diallery
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 8, 2008

                                  > diallery wrote:
                                  > > examples done with this technique:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.diallery.com/panos/show_4seasons.html
                                  > >
                                  > > Regards
                                  > > Daniel
                                  > Crashed Firefox 2.0.0.11. Win XP, QT 7.3.1 & QT 7.4.1
                                  > IE7 worked.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Jim Watters
                                  >
                                  > Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                                  > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                                  > http://photocreations.ca

                                  Firefox 2.0.0.11, Win XP, QT 7.0.3 worked for me

                                  Now the QT-File is changed (2.4 MB in place of 3.8 MB)
                                  Jim, can you check if it works now for you?

                                  Thanks
                                  Daniel
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 8, 2008
                                    On Friday, February 08, 2008 at 9:43, Roger D. Williams wrote:

                                    > Does it matter if the numbers are consecutive? i.e., as long as
                                    > numbers are in ascending order is it OK to have gaps?

                                    It is ok to have gaps. he droplet does a simple sort by filename,
                                    like if you clicked the respective column in explorer (it uses the
                                    sort functionality of the DIR command).

                                    Please let me know if you think it's better to use f.e. the creation
                                    date/time...

                                    best regards

                                  • Jim Watters
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 8, 2008
                                      diallery wrote:
                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> diallery wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> examples done with this technique:
                                      >>>
                                      >>> http://www.diallery.com/panos/show_4seasons.html
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Regards
                                      >>> Daniel
                                      >>>
                                      >> Crashed Firefox 2.0.0.11. Win XP, QT 7.3.1 & QT 7.4.1
                                      >> IE7 worked.
                                      >>
                                      >> Jim Watters
                                      >>
                                      > Firefox 2.0.0.11, Win XP, QT 7.0.3 worked for me
                                      >
                                      > Now the QT-File is changed (2.4 MB in place of 3.8 MB)
                                      > Jim, can you check if it works now for you?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks
                                      > Daniel
                                      Yes it worked. I don't believe it has any impact, but I updated to
                                      2.0.0.12 of Firefox first.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 8, 2008
                                        Briar Bentley,

                                        Agender Northland.

                                        316 Springfield Road.

                                        R D 8 Whangarei

                                        09-432-2092

                                        0274-904-553

                                        briar_bentley@...

                                        >>> http://www.diallery <http://www.diallery.com/panos/show_4seasons.html>
                                        .com/panos/show_4seasons.html

                                        That is just what I was trying to do.thanks!!

                                      • Roger D. Williams
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 11, 2008
                                          Thanks, Erik.

                                          The sequence of filename/number is fine. It isn't broken, so don't
                                          fix it! <g>

                                          Roger

                                          --
                                          Work: www.adex-japan.com
                                          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                        • huckrorick
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
                                            Hi,
                                            Can you tell me how you got your image to pan left and right (not up
                                            and down also)? I used to PTgui to make a cylindrical panorama and
                                            produce a Quicktime .mov file, but it treats it like a spherical
                                            panorama and pans up and down to areas where I don't have any picture
                                            (and is therefore black)?

                                            thanks,

                                            Huck
                                            wrote:

                                            > Hi Briar,
                                            >
                                            > Le 7 févr. 08 à 05:11, Briar a écrit :
                                            >
                                            > > I remember seeing a panorama that covered two (or more?) seasons
                                            > > from the
                                            > > same spot, and wonder if anyone else remembers that, and more
                                            > > importantly
                                            > > can suggest how to do the same?
                                            >
                                            > This is probably what you're looking for:
                                            > http://panograph.free.fr/lauragais/4saisons.html
                                            >
                                            > Make a 360° cylindrical for each season from the same spot and
                                            > subsequently assemble "N" of them to make a N x 360° cylindrical
                                            > panorama. Up to you to blend a transition between each (including
                                            > last to first)
                                            > and render this as N x 360° cylindrical QTVR. Make it to wrap
                                            around
                                            > to close the time loop.
                                            >
                                            > Regards,
                                            >
                                            > Michel

                                          • Shawn Steigner
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 19, 2008
                                              Welcome to the group!

                                              If you are using PTGui to directly make your QT .mov files, you can set the
                                              limitations you are looking for by clicking the "Settings" button next to
                                              the "FileFormat" selection drop-down bar on the "Create Panorama" tab.
                                              Here, you must determine the numerical value of your limits for your
                                              panorama(either for tilting or panning). The "tilt"fileds will allow you to
                                              prevent looking up or down. Try starting with 60 for the up and -60 for the
                                              down.

                                              Good luck!

                                              PS-This is the place for your questions.

                                              Regards-Shawn Steigner
                                              www.photosurveyor.com

                                              wrote:

                                              > Hi Briar,
                                              >
                                              > Le 7 févr. 08 à 05:11, Briar a écrit :
                                              >
                                              > > I remember seeing a panorama that covered two (or more?) seasons
                                              > > from the
                                              > > same spot, and wonder if anyone else remembers that, and more
                                              > > importantly
                                              > > can suggest how to do the same?
                                              >
                                              > This is probably what you're looking for:
                                              > http://panograph.free.fr/lauragais/4saisons.html
                                              >
                                              > Make a 360° cylindrical for each season from the same spot and
                                              > subsequently assemble "N" of them to make a N x 360° cylindrical
                                              > panorama. Up to you to blend a transition between each (including
                                              > last to first)
                                              > and render this as N x 360° cylindrical QTVR. Make it to wrap
                                              around
                                              > to close the time loop.
                                              >
                                              > Regards,
                                              >
                                              > Michel

                                            • John Houghton
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 19, 2008
                                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Steigner" <owner@...> wrote:

                                                > The "tilt"fileds will allow you to prevent looking up or down.
                                                > Try starting with 60 for the up and -60 for the down.

                                                No need to guess. You can measure the vertical limits on the Panorama
                                                Editor window.

                                                John
                                              • michel thoby
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 19, 2008
                                                  Clarification is probably needed.

                                                  The original subject of this thread was about cylindrical QTVR format
                                                  and it was asked then how to present more than one single turn (i.e.
                                                  >360 deg). Hence the title: "Cylindrical pan covering two seasons".
                                                  That should not be confused with Cubic QTVR that is set to be limited
                                                  in vertical tilt span for viewing.

                                                  The true cylindrical QTVR format which BTW was originally suffixed
                                                  "*.pano" and is now part of the generic "*.mov" stable thus
                                                  introducing (in my opinion) the confusion, naturally limits the
                                                  vertical span when viewed through its intended viewer: QuickTime Viewer.
                                                  This is the behavior that Huck seems in vain to expect.

                                                  While it can generate cylindrical projection (if not more than 360
                                                  deg is required), PTGui neither supports nor it outputs cylindrical
                                                  QTVR format and It seems that Huck is mislead exactly as I told Joost
                                                  on this list on June, 2, 2007.
                                                  He responded then that outputting cylindrical QTVR format is on his
                                                  wish list...

                                                  If Huck wanted really to benefit from specificities of this creative
                                                  format, he has to use another S/W.

                                                  Regards,

                                                  Michel