Re: a new mars panorama in High-res!!

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:

      > > maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
      > > next time ^^
      >
      > They already have a sort of color "reference card" on the rovers, it is part of the
      MarsDial-
      > which incidentally, comes from Seattle :)
      >
      > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153690_mars23.html

      Yes you can see it better in this panorama which is the first spherical in color from 2005.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-dec-2005.html
      And here is the only 3D Quicktime VR from mars.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-mcmurdo-3D.html

      They are not added yet to my mars site which I published back in 2004.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/

      I published the first panorama from january 2004 only 2 hours after it was online at
      NASA.
      Also the black and white Cubic pano which as you can see is made from a fisheye lens is
      nice. As it is not stitched you can see the Rover much better. And you can also see the
      famous 1997 panorama as a cubic if you scroll down.

      Hans
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
        You have any non-quicktime versions?

        I've decided on eliminating quicktime and java on all production computers.

        No more security issues, long downloads, long plugin loads, , only a small
        percentage of websites are still using these technologies, and fractional
        percentage of clients have it installed as well.

        Well, I might have to install java.. one day, but I might get lucky.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        404-551-4275

        > > maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
        > > next time ^^
        >
        > They already have a sort of color "reference card" on the rovers, it is
        part of the
        MarsDial-
        > which incidentally, comes from Seattle :)
        >
        > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153690_mars23.html

        Yes you can see it better in this panorama which is the first spherical in
        color from 2005.
        http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-dec-2005.html
        And here is the only 3D Quicktime VR from mars.
        http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-mcmurdo-3D.html

        They are not added yet to my mars site which I published back in 2004.
        http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/

        I published the first panorama from january 2004 only 2 hours after it was
        online at
        NASA.
        Also the black and white Cubic pano which as you can see is made from a
        fisheye lens is
        nice. As it is not stitched you can see the Rover much better. And you can
        also see the
        famous 1997 panorama as a cubic if you scroll down.

      • Matthias Taugwalder
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
          I like especially the "Nearby locations"... ;-)

          Have a nice weekend,

          Matthias

          --
          Matthias Taugwalder
          matthias.taugwalder@...

        • AYRTON - avi
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
            On 2/1/08, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
            > You have any non-quicktime versions?
            > I've decided on eliminating quicktime and java on all production computers.
            > No more security issues, long downloads, long plugin loads, , only a small
            > percentage of websites are still using these technologies, and fractional
            > percentage of clients have it installed as well.

            Sacha I must disagree with you.
            It seems that you're not reading what is selling today at stores :-)

            iPODs are being sold at millions , I repeat millions at the stores !

            And ALL of them MEANS :
            - That ONE more person,
            probably your Client, or his son, or his wife ...

            MUST install QuickTime to use it !

            iTUNES depend on QuickTIme !!!

            How can you say it's not everywhere ???

            Check the sales :-)

            Cheers

            AYRTON
            using both QT and Flash !
            waiting for Deval on MAC :-)

            > Well, I might have to install java.. one day, but I might get lucky.
            >

            > Sacha Griffin
            >
            > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            >
            > http://www.southern-digital.com
            >
            > http://www.seeit360.net
            >
            > 404-551-4275

            A Y R T O N
            + 55 21 9982.6313

            http://rio360.com.br
            http://vrfolio.com
            http://ayrton.com
            http://rio.360cities.net
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
              Really? I didn’t know you had to install quicktime to use an ipod.

              All I know, is I haven’t seen quicktime video in nearly a year while browsing websites. If you don’t need quicktime for video, VR is the only thing left being published using quicktime.

              Since quicktime hasn’t been updated for VR in years, it’s given up on that end too. Plus Quicktime has been updated to DROP support of advanced functions used in VR. Counting this, I don’t see what the point is anymore of supporting it.

              But enough of thread highjacking. If it wasn’t for the bloatware which is quicktime being attached to ipod, quicktime would be long forgotten.

              Sorry again for the thread highjacking. Please do not reply, under this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.

              A Y R T O N
              + 55 21 9982.6313

              http://rio360.com.br
              http://vrfolio.com
              http://ayrton.com
              http://rio.360cities.net

            • bohonus
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008

                > You have any non-quicktime versions?

                I have a few maximum resolution Mars panos on my HD View examples page if you would
                like to try them:

                http://www.bohonus.com/pages/ms_hdview.php

                HD View is for windows only, and is a very very small download if you do not have it. Works
                with both IE and Firefox.
              • AYRTON - avi
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                  On 2/1/08, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
                  > All I know, is I haven't seen quicktime video in nearly a year while browsing websites. If you don't need quicktime for video, VR is the only thing left being published using quicktime.

                  ALL MAJORS Hollywood Film Producers
                  use on their websites (Fox, Metro, Sony, Universal, etc ...)
                  and
                  All Video Productions Houses for Commercials around the World too !!

                  > Please do not reply, under this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.

                  Now I say that too !

                  AYRTON

                  A Y R T O N
                  + 55 21 9982.6313

                  http://rio360.com.br
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                • Robert C. Fisher
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Sacha QT is all over the place. It is mostly unseen, I have some
                    video on my website in QT but I use QT heavily in video editing. The
                    main reason you see so much Flash for video is YouTube, it has taken
                    over video on the web but it is vastly inferior for the most part but
                    it has 99% market penitration so it looks like it has won for the
                    moment. It seems like the buzz these days is for youtube like video,
                    even though most of it looks really crappy. I have been putting video
                    on my websites for about 10 years all in QT.

                    It is unfortunate that Apple has dropped the ball with QTVR support
                    and interactivity, most all of it broken in the current releases of
                    QT. It looks like flash is going to be the huge winner with
                    interactive apps. With faster computers flash is getting to be the
                    real gorilla for interactive web stuff, flash for so long was
                    terrible for the end user since most developers couldn't optimize it
                    properly and it took forever for it to load and sucked so much
                    processor power.

                    Oh well!

                    On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                    > Really? I didn’t know you had to install quicktime to use an ipod.
                    >
                    > All I know, is I haven’t seen quicktime video in nearly a year
                    > while browsing websites. If you don’t need quicktime for video, VR
                    > is the only thing left being published using quicktime.
                    >
                    > Since quicktime hasn’t been updated for VR in years, it’s given up
                    > on that end too. Plus Quicktime has been updated to DROP support of
                    > advanced functions used in VR. Counting this, I don’t see what the
                    > point is anymore of supporting it.
                    >
                    > But enough of thread highjacking. If it wasn’t for the bloatware
                    > which is quicktime being attached to ipod, quicktime would be long
                    > forgotten.
                    >
                    > Sorry again for the thread highjacking. Please do not reply, under
                    > this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.
                    >
                    > Sacha Griffin
                    >
                    > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                    >
                    > http://www.southern-digital.com
                    >
                    > http://www.seeit360.net
                    >
                    > 404-551-4275

                    Cheers
                    Robert C. Fisher
                    VR Photography/Cinematography
                  • John Riley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                      On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Erik Krause wrote:

                      > On Friday, February 01, 2008 at 14:41, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                      >
                      > > Panorama Inside Victoria Crater Four Years On Mars
                      >
                      > Pah, on mars! Who did ever believe it? Now we know that this mars
                      > crater is just in the middle of Prague ;-)
                      > http://www.prague360.com/fs.html?loc=mars-rover-panorama.p36

                      Wow - I thought the drought in the south-eastern US was bad! Prague
                      is really hurting much worse.

                      And I am sure we have all seen the story about the photo from Mars
                      where it looked like a human figure was walking in the landscape, but
                      NASA scientists said it was just a rock. Now we know - it was
                      actually a pedestrian in Prague!

                      <http://www.news.com/2300-11397_3-6227262-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg>

                      Biggest scandal since the so-called Moon "landings" that were
                      actually in the Arizona Desert. Humph. Thanks Jeffrey for your
                      investigative journalism blowing this one wide open!

                      (Note to all - this is intended as a humorous post! Please, no
                      misunderstanding?)

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...