Re: a new mars panorama in High-res!!

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
      cool, jeffrey :)

      >> an approximately true-color panorama
      maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
      next time ^^

      cheers
      juergen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>
      wrote:

      > digg it! :-) it's already at the top of "what's hot" which is a
      good sign
      > :-)
      > http://digg.com/space/
      360_panorama_See_Mars_in_first_person_perspective_Wooah

      > *Mars Daily, January 28, 2008
      > Panorama Inside Victoria Crater Four Years On Mars
      >
      > []
      > /Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell University
      >
      > /
      > Pasadena CA (JPL) - During four months prior to the fourth
      anniversary
      > of its landing on Mars, NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity
      > examined rocks inside an alcove called "Duck Bay" in the western
      portion
      > of Victoria Crater *above*.
      >
      > The main body of the crater appears in the upper right of this
      panorama,
      > with the far side of the crater lying about 800 meters (half a
      mile)
      > away. Bracketing that part of the view are two promontories on the
      > crater's rim at either side of Duck Bay.
      >
      > They are "Cape Verde," about 6 meters (20 feet) tall, on the left,
      and
      > "Cabo Frio," about 15 meters (50 feet) tall, on the right. The
      rest of
      > the image, other than sky and portions of the rover, is ground
      within
      > Duck Bay.
      >
      > Opportunity's targets of study during the last quarter of 2007
      were rock
      > layers within a band exposed around the interior of the crater,
      about 6
      > meters (20 feet) from the rim. Bright rocks within the band are
      visible
      > in the foreground of the panorama. The rover science team assigned
      > informal names to three subdivisions of the band:
      "Steno," "Smith," and
      > "Lyell."
      >
      > This view combines many images taken by Opportunity's panoramic
      camera
      > (Pancam) from the 1,332nd through 1,379th Martian days, or sols,
      of the
      > mission (Oct. 23 to Dec. 11, 2007). Images taken through Pancam
      filters
      > centered on wavelengths of 753 nanometers, 535 nanometers and 432
      > nanometers were mixed to produce an approximately true-color
      panorama.
      > Some visible patterns in dark and light tones are the result of
      > combining frames that were affected by dust on the front sapphire
      window
      > of the rover's camera.
      >
      > Opportunity landed on Jan. 25, 2004, Universal Time, (Jan. 24,
      Pacific
      > Time) inside a much smaller crater about 6 kilometers (4 miles)
      north of
      > Victoria Crater, to begin a surface mission designed to last 3
      months
      > and drive about 600 meters (0.4 mile). #
      >

      > --
      > =========================
      > Jeffrey Martin
      > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
      > Terronska 49, 160 00 Prague 6, Czech Republic
      > 4 Main St, Suite 60a, Los Altos CA 94022, USA
      >
      > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
      >
      > www.prague360.com / www.vrlog.net / www.jeffrey-martin.com

    • bohonus
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

        > >> an approximately true-color panorama
        > maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
        > next time ^^

        They already have a sort of color "reference card" on the rovers, it is part of the MarsDial-
        which incidentally, comes from Seattle :)

        http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153690_mars23.html
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:

          > > maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
          > > next time ^^
          >
          > They already have a sort of color "reference card" on the rovers, it is part of the
          MarsDial-
          > which incidentally, comes from Seattle :)
          >
          > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153690_mars23.html

          Yes you can see it better in this panorama which is the first spherical in color from 2005.
          http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-dec-2005.html
          And here is the only 3D Quicktime VR from mars.
          http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-mcmurdo-3D.html

          They are not added yet to my mars site which I published back in 2004.
          http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/

          I published the first panorama from january 2004 only 2 hours after it was online at
          NASA.
          Also the black and white Cubic pano which as you can see is made from a fisheye lens is
          nice. As it is not stitched you can see the Rover much better. And you can also see the
          famous 1997 panorama as a cubic if you scroll down.

          Hans
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
            You have any non-quicktime versions?

            I've decided on eliminating quicktime and java on all production computers.

            No more security issues, long downloads, long plugin loads, , only a small
            percentage of websites are still using these technologies, and fractional
            percentage of clients have it installed as well.

            Well, I might have to install java.. one day, but I might get lucky.

            Sacha Griffin

            Southern Digital Solutions LLC

            http://www.southern-digital.com

            http://www.seeit360.net

            404-551-4275

            > > maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
            > > next time ^^
            >
            > They already have a sort of color "reference card" on the rovers, it is
            part of the
            MarsDial-
            > which incidentally, comes from Seattle :)
            >
            > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153690_mars23.html

            Yes you can see it better in this panorama which is the first spherical in
            color from 2005.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-dec-2005.html
            And here is the only 3D Quicktime VR from mars.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-mcmurdo-3D.html

            They are not added yet to my mars site which I published back in 2004.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/

            I published the first panorama from january 2004 only 2 hours after it was
            online at
            NASA.
            Also the black and white Cubic pano which as you can see is made from a
            fisheye lens is
            nice. As it is not stitched you can see the Rover much better. And you can
            also see the
            famous 1997 panorama as a cubic if you scroll down.

          • Matthias Taugwalder
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
              I like especially the "Nearby locations"... ;-)

              Have a nice weekend,

              Matthias

              --
              Matthias Taugwalder
              matthias.taugwalder@...

            • AYRTON - avi
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                On 2/1/08, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
                > You have any non-quicktime versions?
                > I've decided on eliminating quicktime and java on all production computers.
                > No more security issues, long downloads, long plugin loads, , only a small
                > percentage of websites are still using these technologies, and fractional
                > percentage of clients have it installed as well.

                Sacha I must disagree with you.
                It seems that you're not reading what is selling today at stores :-)

                iPODs are being sold at millions , I repeat millions at the stores !

                And ALL of them MEANS :
                - That ONE more person,
                probably your Client, or his son, or his wife ...

                MUST install QuickTime to use it !

                iTUNES depend on QuickTIme !!!

                How can you say it's not everywhere ???

                Check the sales :-)

                Cheers

                AYRTON
                using both QT and Flash !
                waiting for Deval on MAC :-)

                > Well, I might have to install java.. one day, but I might get lucky.
                >

                > Sacha Griffin
                >
                > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                >
                > http://www.southern-digital.com
                >
                > http://www.seeit360.net
                >
                > 404-551-4275

                A Y R T O N
                + 55 21 9982.6313

                http://rio360.com.br
                http://vrfolio.com
                http://ayrton.com
                http://rio.360cities.net
              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Really? I didn’t know you had to install quicktime to use an ipod.

                  All I know, is I haven’t seen quicktime video in nearly a year while browsing websites. If you don’t need quicktime for video, VR is the only thing left being published using quicktime.

                  Since quicktime hasn’t been updated for VR in years, it’s given up on that end too. Plus Quicktime has been updated to DROP support of advanced functions used in VR. Counting this, I don’t see what the point is anymore of supporting it.

                  But enough of thread highjacking. If it wasn’t for the bloatware which is quicktime being attached to ipod, quicktime would be long forgotten.

                  Sorry again for the thread highjacking. Please do not reply, under this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.

                  A Y R T O N
                  + 55 21 9982.6313

                  http://rio360.com.br
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net

                • bohonus
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008

                    > You have any non-quicktime versions?

                    I have a few maximum resolution Mars panos on my HD View examples page if you would
                    like to try them:

                    http://www.bohonus.com/pages/ms_hdview.php

                    HD View is for windows only, and is a very very small download if you do not have it. Works
                    with both IE and Firefox.
                  • AYRTON - avi
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                      On 2/1/08, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
                      > All I know, is I haven't seen quicktime video in nearly a year while browsing websites. If you don't need quicktime for video, VR is the only thing left being published using quicktime.

                      ALL MAJORS Hollywood Film Producers
                      use on their websites (Fox, Metro, Sony, Universal, etc ...)
                      and
                      All Video Productions Houses for Commercials around the World too !!

                      > Please do not reply, under this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.

                      Now I say that too !

                      AYRTON

                      A Y R T O N
                      + 55 21 9982.6313

                      http://rio360.com.br
                      http://vrfolio.com
                      http://ayrton.com
                      http://rio.360cities.net
                    • Robert C. Fisher
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Sacha QT is all over the place. It is mostly unseen, I have some
                        video on my website in QT but I use QT heavily in video editing. The
                        main reason you see so much Flash for video is YouTube, it has taken
                        over video on the web but it is vastly inferior for the most part but
                        it has 99% market penitration so it looks like it has won for the
                        moment. It seems like the buzz these days is for youtube like video,
                        even though most of it looks really crappy. I have been putting video
                        on my websites for about 10 years all in QT.

                        It is unfortunate that Apple has dropped the ball with QTVR support
                        and interactivity, most all of it broken in the current releases of
                        QT. It looks like flash is going to be the huge winner with
                        interactive apps. With faster computers flash is getting to be the
                        real gorilla for interactive web stuff, flash for so long was
                        terrible for the end user since most developers couldn't optimize it
                        properly and it took forever for it to load and sucked so much
                        processor power.

                        Oh well!

                        On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                        > Really? I didn’t know you had to install quicktime to use an ipod.
                        >
                        > All I know, is I haven’t seen quicktime video in nearly a year
                        > while browsing websites. If you don’t need quicktime for video, VR
                        > is the only thing left being published using quicktime.
                        >
                        > Since quicktime hasn’t been updated for VR in years, it’s given up
                        > on that end too. Plus Quicktime has been updated to DROP support of
                        > advanced functions used in VR. Counting this, I don’t see what the
                        > point is anymore of supporting it.
                        >
                        > But enough of thread highjacking. If it wasn’t for the bloatware
                        > which is quicktime being attached to ipod, quicktime would be long
                        > forgotten.
                        >
                        > Sorry again for the thread highjacking. Please do not reply, under
                        > this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.
                        >
                        > Sacha Griffin
                        >
                        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                        >
                        > http://www.southern-digital.com
                        >
                        > http://www.seeit360.net
                        >
                        > 404-551-4275

                        Cheers
                        Robert C. Fisher
                        VR Photography/Cinematography
                      • John Riley
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                          On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Erik Krause wrote:

                          > On Friday, February 01, 2008 at 14:41, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                          >
                          > > Panorama Inside Victoria Crater Four Years On Mars
                          >
                          > Pah, on mars! Who did ever believe it? Now we know that this mars
                          > crater is just in the middle of Prague ;-)
                          > http://www.prague360.com/fs.html?loc=mars-rover-panorama.p36

                          Wow - I thought the drought in the south-eastern US was bad! Prague
                          is really hurting much worse.

                          And I am sure we have all seen the story about the photo from Mars
                          where it looked like a human figure was walking in the landscape, but
                          NASA scientists said it was just a rock. Now we know - it was
                          actually a pedestrian in Prague!

                          <http://www.news.com/2300-11397_3-6227262-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg>

                          Biggest scandal since the so-called Moon "landings" that were
                          actually in the Arizona Desert. Humph. Thanks Jeffrey for your
                          investigative journalism blowing this one wide open!

                          (Note to all - this is intended as a humorous post! Please, no
                          misunderstanding?)

                          John

                          John Riley
                          johnriley@...