Re: a new mars panorama in High-res!!

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
      On Friday, February 01, 2008 at 14:41, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

      > Panorama Inside Victoria Crater Four Years On Mars

      Pah, on mars! Who did ever believe it? Now we know that this mars
      crater is just in the middle of Prague ;-)
      http://www.prague360.com/fs.html?loc=mars-rover-panorama.p36

      Ah, and Jeffrey, why don't you use "firstautoplay" Deval parameter? I
      hate it when a panorama pans away as soon as I want to view something
      in more detail...

      best regards
    • Juergen Schrader
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
        cool, jeffrey :)

        >> an approximately true-color panorama
        maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
        next time ^^

        cheers
        juergen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>
        wrote:

        > digg it! :-) it's already at the top of "what's hot" which is a
        good sign
        > :-)
        > http://digg.com/space/
        360_panorama_See_Mars_in_first_person_perspective_Wooah

        > *Mars Daily, January 28, 2008
        > Panorama Inside Victoria Crater Four Years On Mars
        >
        > []
        > /Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell University
        >
        > /
        > Pasadena CA (JPL) - During four months prior to the fourth
        anniversary
        > of its landing on Mars, NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity
        > examined rocks inside an alcove called "Duck Bay" in the western
        portion
        > of Victoria Crater *above*.
        >
        > The main body of the crater appears in the upper right of this
        panorama,
        > with the far side of the crater lying about 800 meters (half a
        mile)
        > away. Bracketing that part of the view are two promontories on the
        > crater's rim at either side of Duck Bay.
        >
        > They are "Cape Verde," about 6 meters (20 feet) tall, on the left,
        and
        > "Cabo Frio," about 15 meters (50 feet) tall, on the right. The
        rest of
        > the image, other than sky and portions of the rover, is ground
        within
        > Duck Bay.
        >
        > Opportunity's targets of study during the last quarter of 2007
        were rock
        > layers within a band exposed around the interior of the crater,
        about 6
        > meters (20 feet) from the rim. Bright rocks within the band are
        visible
        > in the foreground of the panorama. The rover science team assigned
        > informal names to three subdivisions of the band:
        "Steno," "Smith," and
        > "Lyell."
        >
        > This view combines many images taken by Opportunity's panoramic
        camera
        > (Pancam) from the 1,332nd through 1,379th Martian days, or sols,
        of the
        > mission (Oct. 23 to Dec. 11, 2007). Images taken through Pancam
        filters
        > centered on wavelengths of 753 nanometers, 535 nanometers and 432
        > nanometers were mixed to produce an approximately true-color
        panorama.
        > Some visible patterns in dark and light tones are the result of
        > combining frames that were affected by dust on the front sapphire
        window
        > of the rover's camera.
        >
        > Opportunity landed on Jan. 25, 2004, Universal Time, (Jan. 24,
        Pacific
        > Time) inside a much smaller crater about 6 kilometers (4 miles)
        north of
        > Victoria Crater, to begin a surface mission designed to last 3
        months
        > and drive about 600 meters (0.4 mile). #
        >

        > --
        > =========================
        > Jeffrey Martin
        > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
        > Terronska 49, 160 00 Prague 6, Czech Republic
        > 4 Main St, Suite 60a, Los Altos CA 94022, USA
        >
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
        >
        > www.prague360.com / www.vrlog.net / www.jeffrey-martin.com

      • bohonus
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

          > >> an approximately true-color panorama
          > maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
          > next time ^^

          They already have a sort of color "reference card" on the rovers, it is part of the MarsDial-
          which incidentally, comes from Seattle :)

          http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153690_mars23.html
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:

            > > maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
            > > next time ^^
            >
            > They already have a sort of color "reference card" on the rovers, it is part of the
            MarsDial-
            > which incidentally, comes from Seattle :)
            >
            > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153690_mars23.html

            Yes you can see it better in this panorama which is the first spherical in color from 2005.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-dec-2005.html
            And here is the only 3D Quicktime VR from mars.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-mcmurdo-3D.html

            They are not added yet to my mars site which I published back in 2004.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/

            I published the first panorama from january 2004 only 2 hours after it was online at
            NASA.
            Also the black and white Cubic pano which as you can see is made from a fisheye lens is
            nice. As it is not stitched you can see the Rover much better. And you can also see the
            famous 1997 panorama as a cubic if you scroll down.

            Hans
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
              You have any non-quicktime versions?

              I've decided on eliminating quicktime and java on all production computers.

              No more security issues, long downloads, long plugin loads, , only a small
              percentage of websites are still using these technologies, and fractional
              percentage of clients have it installed as well.

              Well, I might have to install java.. one day, but I might get lucky.

              Sacha Griffin

              Southern Digital Solutions LLC

              http://www.southern-digital.com

              http://www.seeit360.net

              404-551-4275

              > > maybe we should ask them to glue a color reference card on top of it
              > > next time ^^
              >
              > They already have a sort of color "reference card" on the rovers, it is
              part of the
              MarsDial-
              > which incidentally, comes from Seattle :)
              >
              > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/153690_mars23.html

              Yes you can see it better in this panorama which is the first spherical in
              color from 2005.
              http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-dec-2005.html
              And here is the only 3D Quicktime VR from mars.
              http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-mcmurdo-3D.html

              They are not added yet to my mars site which I published back in 2004.
              http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/

              I published the first panorama from january 2004 only 2 hours after it was
              online at
              NASA.
              Also the black and white Cubic pano which as you can see is made from a
              fisheye lens is
              nice. As it is not stitched you can see the Rover much better. And you can
              also see the
              famous 1997 panorama as a cubic if you scroll down.

            • Matthias Taugwalder
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                I like especially the "Nearby locations"... ;-)

                Have a nice weekend,

                Matthias

                --
                Matthias Taugwalder
                matthias.taugwalder@...

              • AYRTON - avi
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                  On 2/1/08, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
                  > You have any non-quicktime versions?
                  > I've decided on eliminating quicktime and java on all production computers.
                  > No more security issues, long downloads, long plugin loads, , only a small
                  > percentage of websites are still using these technologies, and fractional
                  > percentage of clients have it installed as well.

                  Sacha I must disagree with you.
                  It seems that you're not reading what is selling today at stores :-)

                  iPODs are being sold at millions , I repeat millions at the stores !

                  And ALL of them MEANS :
                  - That ONE more person,
                  probably your Client, or his son, or his wife ...

                  MUST install QuickTime to use it !

                  iTUNES depend on QuickTIme !!!

                  How can you say it's not everywhere ???

                  Check the sales :-)

                  Cheers

                  AYRTON
                  using both QT and Flash !
                  waiting for Deval on MAC :-)

                  > Well, I might have to install java.. one day, but I might get lucky.
                  >

                  > Sacha Griffin
                  >
                  > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                  >
                  > http://www.southern-digital.com
                  >
                  > http://www.seeit360.net
                  >
                  > 404-551-4275

                  A Y R T O N
                  + 55 21 9982.6313

                  http://rio360.com.br
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Really? I didn’t know you had to install quicktime to use an ipod.

                    All I know, is I haven’t seen quicktime video in nearly a year while browsing websites. If you don’t need quicktime for video, VR is the only thing left being published using quicktime.

                    Since quicktime hasn’t been updated for VR in years, it’s given up on that end too. Plus Quicktime has been updated to DROP support of advanced functions used in VR. Counting this, I don’t see what the point is anymore of supporting it.

                    But enough of thread highjacking. If it wasn’t for the bloatware which is quicktime being attached to ipod, quicktime would be long forgotten.

                    Sorry again for the thread highjacking. Please do not reply, under this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.

                    A Y R T O N
                    + 55 21 9982.6313

                    http://rio360.com.br
                    http://vrfolio.com
                    http://ayrton.com
                    http://rio.360cities.net

                  • bohonus
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008

                      > You have any non-quicktime versions?

                      I have a few maximum resolution Mars panos on my HD View examples page if you would
                      like to try them:

                      http://www.bohonus.com/pages/ms_hdview.php

                      HD View is for windows only, and is a very very small download if you do not have it. Works
                      with both IE and Firefox.
                    • AYRTON - avi
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                        On 2/1/08, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
                        > All I know, is I haven't seen quicktime video in nearly a year while browsing websites. If you don't need quicktime for video, VR is the only thing left being published using quicktime.

                        ALL MAJORS Hollywood Film Producers
                        use on their websites (Fox, Metro, Sony, Universal, etc ...)
                        and
                        All Video Productions Houses for Commercials around the World too !!

                        > Please do not reply, under this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.

                        Now I say that too !

                        AYRTON

                        A Y R T O N
                        + 55 21 9982.6313

                        http://rio360.com.br
                        http://vrfolio.com
                        http://ayrton.com
                        http://rio.360cities.net
                      • Robert C. Fisher
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Sacha QT is all over the place. It is mostly unseen, I have some
                          video on my website in QT but I use QT heavily in video editing. The
                          main reason you see so much Flash for video is YouTube, it has taken
                          over video on the web but it is vastly inferior for the most part but
                          it has 99% market penitration so it looks like it has won for the
                          moment. It seems like the buzz these days is for youtube like video,
                          even though most of it looks really crappy. I have been putting video
                          on my websites for about 10 years all in QT.

                          It is unfortunate that Apple has dropped the ball with QTVR support
                          and interactivity, most all of it broken in the current releases of
                          QT. It looks like flash is going to be the huge winner with
                          interactive apps. With faster computers flash is getting to be the
                          real gorilla for interactive web stuff, flash for so long was
                          terrible for the end user since most developers couldn't optimize it
                          properly and it took forever for it to load and sucked so much
                          processor power.

                          Oh well!

                          On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                          > Really? I didn’t know you had to install quicktime to use an ipod.
                          >
                          > All I know, is I haven’t seen quicktime video in nearly a year
                          > while browsing websites. If you don’t need quicktime for video, VR
                          > is the only thing left being published using quicktime.
                          >
                          > Since quicktime hasn’t been updated for VR in years, it’s given up
                          > on that end too. Plus Quicktime has been updated to DROP support of
                          > advanced functions used in VR. Counting this, I don’t see what the
                          > point is anymore of supporting it.
                          >
                          > But enough of thread highjacking. If it wasn’t for the bloatware
                          > which is quicktime being attached to ipod, quicktime would be long
                          > forgotten.
                          >
                          > Sorry again for the thread highjacking. Please do not reply, under
                          > this thread. I just wanted to see a panorama.
                          >
                          > Sacha Griffin
                          >
                          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                          >
                          > http://www.southern-digital.com
                          >
                          > http://www.seeit360.net
                          >
                          > 404-551-4275

                          Cheers
                          Robert C. Fisher
                          VR Photography/Cinematography
                        • John Riley
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                            On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Erik Krause wrote:

                            > On Friday, February 01, 2008 at 14:41, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                            >
                            > > Panorama Inside Victoria Crater Four Years On Mars
                            >
                            > Pah, on mars! Who did ever believe it? Now we know that this mars
                            > crater is just in the middle of Prague ;-)
                            > http://www.prague360.com/fs.html?loc=mars-rover-panorama.p36

                            Wow - I thought the drought in the south-eastern US was bad! Prague
                            is really hurting much worse.

                            And I am sure we have all seen the story about the photo from Mars
                            where it looked like a human figure was walking in the landscape, but
                            NASA scientists said it was just a rock. Now we know - it was
                            actually a pedestrian in Prague!

                            <http://www.news.com/2300-11397_3-6227262-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg>

                            Biggest scandal since the so-called Moon "landings" that were
                            actually in the Arizona Desert. Humph. Thanks Jeffrey for your
                            investigative journalism blowing this one wide open!

                            (Note to all - this is intended as a humorous post! Please, no
                            misunderstanding?)

                            John

                            John Riley
                            johnriley@...