Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Another Pole Shot

  • Ricardo Araujo
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
      I own a Cavision SCPN635F carbon fiber pole and I'm very satisfied.

      You can see other models at:
      <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop=Price%3A+Low+to+High&bl=&atl=Brand_Cavision&pn=1&st=search&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=pole&shs=pole&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=8659&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=>

      acessar o site <http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>

      Andrew G escreveu:

      > Roger,
      >
      > You've gone an got me interested in pole panoramas now. Just as my
      > wife thought I was content with my camera gear ;-)
      >
      > K-Tek poles are out of my price range but the Gitzo G1568 Series 2
      > Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod you mentioned looks interesting and on
      > the go at $230. I guess I need an all rounder. Height of 63 inches
      > seems ok for the high up shots and after lugging all my camera gear
      > around New York City for 3 days, the thought of using a pole instead
      > of a tripod & NN3, it sounds like a lot less weight. Not to mention
      > getting over keen security off my back. First two words they are
      > taught during training must be "No tripods".
      >
      > I have the D80 & 10.5mm (not shaved). Could mean problems with the up
      > and down views?
      >
      > Look forward to your advice,
      >
      > Andrew
      >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.
      > >
      > > A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its
      > carbon
      > > fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this. It's
      > > very strong, light, and fast to setup.
      > > Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods and
      > > monopods like this one.
      > > Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00
      > >
      > > Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like the
      > > one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's
      > far
      > > easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
      > > walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my hands
      > > free and hardly notice its there.
      > >
      > > It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it
      > all
      > > depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
      > > over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
      > > first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
      > > things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.
      > >
      > > Roger Berry
      > >

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
      > > >
      > > > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
      > > > http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html
      > <http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html> than
      > > > http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm
      > <http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm>
      > > >
      > > > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better. I
      > am
      > > > 6ft 5in tall.
      > > >
      > > > KM

    • bohonus
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

        > Yes, that tourist sometimes gets in my photos like in this one below.
        > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/amer_elephants4.html
        >
        > The problem is to remove him would not be easy with the people behind
        > him, so sometimes I have to do the next best thing.

        Have you tried turning around staying behind the camera's view as you turn the pole so you
        would not end up being in the shot?
      • Roger Berry
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
          Yes I have moved around staying behind the pole, but that makes it
          go from about 4 seconds for 4 shots to 20 seconds. As you move
          around you have to realign and re-stabilize the pole.
          When I use the pole lower, say around 3 to 6 feet I will usually
          move around behind the pole or kneel down to keep the camera higher
          above me.
          I own 2 pole levels and don't use them, takes too long looking at
          one for each shot. I just stand in one place, let the pole balance
          itself, and turn it fast for the shots.
          By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
          it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.
          Most times it only takes a few minutes to remove myself from the
          photo with PhotoShop but sometimes I'm not looking behind my back to
          see if I may be blocking anything, and the higher the pole the less
          the problem because of the angle.

          Roger Berry

        • greggnixon@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
            >Another Pole Shot
            >Posted by: "Roger Berry" onezebra1@... onezebra1
            >Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 pm ((PST))

            > By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
            > it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.

            How then are you releasing the shutter ?

            Gregg.
          • bohonus
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
              I can't speak for the others, but in my case, I use my camera's built-in intervalometer.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, <greggnixon@...> wrote:

              > >Another Pole Shot
              > >Posted by: "Roger Berry" onezebra1@... onezebra1
              > >Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 pm ((PST))
              >
              > > By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
              > > it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.
              >

              > How then are you releasing the shutter ?
              >

              > Gregg.

            • Roger Berry
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
                With a small wireless remote and I also have a Canon wire cable remote
                for backup.
                Wireless Remote for Canon 20D 30D 40D 5D RS-80N3=155

                Roger Berry

                > How then are you releasing the shutter ?
                >

                > Gregg.

              • Roger Berry
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
                  This one is only about 3 feet high, but it was also around 7 feet out
                  horizontally. Hopefully this will give you the feeling of sitting next
                  to the elephant owner as he makes food up for his elephant.
                  http://indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephant_feed4.html

                  Canon 5D, Nikor 10.5mm lens, home made pano head, 17 foot pole.
                • Dave 360texas.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Roger, Thank you for showing us your work. We can relate to your
                    imaging because we visited India and Kashmire while on holiday several
                    years ago.

                    When you have more time.. please show us more.

                    Dave and Pat still at 360Texas.com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
                      Hi Dave,
                      this one opens up behind the elephant house, click on the hotspot (red dot) and you can travel through the elephant house and to another one on the other side. You can go up to the old fort wall for a good overview of the town, and off to the right see a mother and baby elephant. Most of the panos with hotspot thumbnail images are older and you need to open up the hotspots for them to show.
                      http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephants_street4.html

                      The older panos where shot with a Canon 20D and Sigma 8mm f/3.5 lens.
                      I will also be working on adding some new audio to the panos.

                      Roger Berry